Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gentle Giant-like band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 00:09
Look, plenty of artists are "influenced" by Gentle Giant, but very few actually sound like them outside of a few tracks or snippets here and there. If you're looking for the Spock's Beard tracks that actually sound somewhat like GG, they are Thoughts and Thoughts Pt. II. Mostly for the vocal polyphony. Kind of like how it's used in Cockroach King or Crystallised by Haken.

Again, the only band I've heard that really sounds pretty close to GG through and through is Et Cetera. I'm sure a few that were mentioned before also get pretty close. I'll have to check out Advent and Miriodor at some point.

Edited by Awesoreno - September 24 2020 at 00:10
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 00:59
Atheist always had a GG-like vibe to their controlled madness, albeit it's metal and not traditional prog rock!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 03:02
The Gourishankar (Russia) made a cover of Gentle Giant: For Nobody.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 03:57
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Look, plenty of artists are "influenced" by Gentle Giant, but very few actually sound like them outside of a few tracks or snippets here and there. If you're looking for the Spock's Beard tracks that actually sound somewhat like GG, they are Thoughts and Thoughts Pt. II. Mostly for the vocal polyphony. Kind of like how it's used in Cockroach King or Crystallised by Haken.

Again, the only band I've heard that really sounds pretty close to GG through and through is Et Cetera. I'm sure a few that were mentioned before also get pretty close. I'll have to check out Advent and Miriodor at some point.

Thanks, I readily hear the Gentle Giant in those tracks.   Unfortunately, the people were being vague by just recommending SB as Gentle Giant-like, and I didn't ask for specific albums or music (this was in 2005) at the time, and I was on something of a carefree spending spree at the time. I had only myself to blame for going for the wrong stuff without proper research/ due diligence.

When I first heard Gentle Giant (in 2004 I think), music such as "The Moon is Down" (Acquiring the Taste being my favourite Gentle Giant album) reminded me of Frank Zappa's "Peaches en Regalia". I liked the exuberance and adventurous nature of much GG, and Miriodor had a similar vibe for me. Miriodor is the first post-classic "Prog" band that I got into, followed by U Totem. Both appealed to me for similar reasons that GG appealed to me.

I hardly ever listen to Gentle Giant now, but in the mid 2000s it was a favourite band of mine (I particularly like the early GG albums).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 02:48
Some sequences with High Wheel: There and Back From The Void (Germany). Wink
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 16:44

I have Ripaille and Et Cetera albums. Ripaille better

Edited by dr prog - September 27 2020 at 16:47
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 09:57
muyProgresivo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muyProgresivo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 11:41
To me Wobbler's From Silence to Somewhere sounds a bit like Gentle Giant.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 05:19
This thing is about as close as you’re ever going to get to Gentle Giant:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vG5RqRhkL0g
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 06:58
It may seems odd to you but I hear GG influence in "A Passion Play" by Jethro Tull. It's their most technicaly complicated album and GG comes to mind (at list mine) quite often while listening to it.  
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 07:32
I am surprised no one mentioned Gnidrolog yet.  I think their two 1972 albums are very much like Gentle Giant in sound and style.

Edited by Spaciousmind - May 09 2021 at 07:35
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 07:50
Bulgarian rock band FSB covered Gentle Giant on their debut album... without ever crediting them!
So, here's another band that was influenced A LOT by GG and is definitely not well-known.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 08:07
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

New Jersey band ADVENT did two credible albums in the 21st Century, 2006's Cantus Firmus and 2015's The Silent Sentinel. Not quite as complex or compact as GG, but definitely in that ballpark.

(I don't think these uploads will work, so just search for yourself on YouTube. All songs of both albums are available there.)

Also, MOON SAFARI's Blomljud contains a lot of "GG-Lite"-like music--especially the vocals.

Took the albums right otta my hands...^
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 09:16

Just discovered this magnificent piece of music today, enjoy!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 09:42
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Just discovered this magnificent piece of music today, enjoy!
About time! Not sure this is a Giant-like tune, but welcome to the world of Mike Keneally. Seriously neglected artist.
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 11:33
^ Thanks a lot, guys! Nice find for me! Are there more albums like this one within the Mike Keneally discography?
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 12:43
Originally posted by projeKct projeKct wrote:

^ Thanks a lot, guys! Nice find for me! Are there more albums like this one within the Mike Keneally discography?
Mike is quite diverse. I think his first three albums are killer. Guitar Therapy Live may be a good starter disc... gives an overview of his music. Be warned, some of his albums such as Nonkertomph are
very out there - avant, dissonant and too weird for my tastes, yet others may disagree. Enjoy the Keneally journey.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 14:55
^ I will be promptly checking out those first three albums. I was also wondering where to start based on that incredible track, and there's my answer!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 12:30
Early Gentle Giant vibe here, I think (especially the second part of the song) :

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 14:36
Epidermis 
Et Cetera(Canada 1976)
Yezda Urfa
Hands
Advent
Gryphon
Banco (a little bit)
Echolyn (a little bit)
Jethro Tull (a little bit)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 21 2021 at 14:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>