9 [39.13%]
7 [30.43%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You Can Choose One For SW to Remix/Master
    Posted: September 12 2020 at 05:25
So i'm a fan of a good chunk of Steven Wilsons remix's of classic albums as well as most albums he is originally the producer/engineer on. I got my brain racking on albums I think could be stretched to their absolute limit and vastly improved with him working his magic on them and these were some of my top choices. It's not that these are necessarily terrible or bad sounding, but often times when i'm listening I feel like there's some concealed potential in the music held back by the mix or even existing remasters. Songs From The Wood by Tull was an album I felt that way about but low and behold, Steven Wilson remixed it and it's glorious. I opted to leave out the "Other" option but feel free to add your own dream Steven Wilson remasters/remixs in the comments. I think i'm torn between Third, Pawn Hearts and Morningrise. Going For The One desperately needs it but I prefer the other albums listed here.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - September 12 2020 at 05:26
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 05:46
Chris Squire - Fish out of Water. The Jakszyk mix was a bit disappointing IMO.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 05:51
Probably Mirage. I would like to hear what can Steven Wison can come up to with the maste tapes.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 06:27
Mirage for sure.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 08:03
None of the above.....maybe Argus 'cause I think Wilson could do something about the lack of separation in the instruments.  Maybe it's my old LP copy, but the music seems to come from the speakers in a wall of sound, actually more a waterfall of sound, but I've lived with it and loved it for 40 years, so maybe I don't want Wilson messing with that too much.

I'd really like Wilson to look to the continent - those Pulsar albums could really use a sharpening up......some of those old Heldon or Lard Free albums, too......throw in Banco (Darwin!) or PFM albums, as well.....I'd also love to hear Wilson fiddle with Krautrock bands like Embryo and Amon Duul.

Edited by Intruder - September 12 2020 at 08:04
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 08:14
no doubt hearing what he will do with Awaken is most interesting for me---
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 08:25
He always mentioned he didn't like the mastering of In Absentia and Deadwing. So both of those. 

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - September 12 2020 at 08:26
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 08:39
Of that list either Argus that I find a bit flat and Mirage to hear what he could conjure up. I would like him to remix seconds out with Hackett always saying his guitar was under mixed compared to the others, a seconds out with a more balanced mix would be interesting to hear. Doubt that sould be a green light from the band.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 08:44
Hi,

He doesn't have a good ear for better music that is not formulaic!

I would have stated Amon Duul 2 or Can, but I doubt that John Weinzierl will EVER allow SW to touch anything AD2 or that CAN will allow SW to touch anything.

I would think that ANGE could benefit from SW's touch, but not sure the Decamps family will allow the stuff from being touched ... you know about those "purists" and their ideas!

Edited by moshkito - September 13 2020 at 13:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 08:57
Kind of silly not including the SW Jethro Tull remixes, considering they are excellent.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
ralphabet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralphabet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 09:14
Third and the other early Softs albums have not aged very well at all from a production standpoint. As much as I adore them I’d be more than welcome for SW to try his hand at reworking them. The original mixes are quite flat and muddy imo, actual music is phenomenal though.

Not sure if those master tapes are still in existence or not though,, I know for certain GFTO’s is missing. I’m sure some sort of remixing work could still be done but it’s a real shame, I think it could benefit a lot from a proper remaster.
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 11:46
It's not my favorite album from this list, but I'd love to hear some remastered early Soft Machine, just because the original production of Third was so lackluster...
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 13:02
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Kind of silly not including the SW Jethro Tull remixes, considering they are excellent.

This is for albums i’d like to see him remix, not ones he’s already done. That songs for the wood one is stellar.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 13:11
Third, although I don't think there is hope in fixing those issues here. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 00:11
The rest of those early Chicago releases. Chicago II definitely needed the facelift, and he delivered that.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 00:50
I just listened to Steven Wilson's remix of the Aqualung album. He does a brilliant job. My 90's mixed CD of the Jethro Tull album doesn't do the vinyl justice. From the above list the only album that needs a lift is Going For The One. The others are just fine.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 02:01
Mirage. It's an earlier release and could thus benefit from better production (overall) by my ears.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 07:57
Mirage, I guess.
Thinking I'm in the minority - not a fan of remixes.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 11:16
Mirage and Argus are both close to perfection anyway. No point messing about with them.
I'd like him to remix Pawn Hearts and mix Hamill's vocals lower until they are no longer audible, which would be a huge improvement.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
 Post Reply Post Reply