Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Examples of Prog That Went "Too Far"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Examples of Prog That Went "Too Far"?
    Posted: September 16 2020 at 00:18
This question is most certainly inspired by the other thread! After seeing the variety of answers to the question "Did 70's prog bands take it too far?", I decided upon this one!

Can you give some examples of prog bands that you personally consider "too out there" or "too far" into prog, and thus "too far"?

What are some examples of this, in your honest opinions, PA?!

GO! Tongue

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 01:04
Here are a couple from me: 'Zeit' by Tangerine Dream and 'Tales From Topographic Oceans'. Love both and if this isn't going too far... then I'm pretty interested in discovering albums that go even further. Smile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 01:28
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Here are a couple from me: 'Zeit' by Tangerine Dream and 'Tales From Topographic Oceans'. Love both and if this isn't going too far... then I'm pretty interested in discovering albums that go even further. Smile

I was totally prepared upon creation of this thread, for TFTO to be a primary contender for most here, lol LOL.

I haven't listened to enough Tangerine Dream TBH, but since TFTO is a personal favorite, I doubt much will offend me! Wink

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 02:54
Nope, can't think of any.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 03:09
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I was totally prepared upon creation of this thread, for TFTO to be a primary contender for most here, lol LOL.

I haven't listened to enough Tangerine Dream TBH, but since TFTO is a personal favorite, I doubt much will offend me! Wink

You should definitely try 'Zeit'. It is pretty different from TFTO though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 03:11

You should definitely try 'Zeit'. It is pretty different from TFTO though.

Will do, thank you for the recommendation!

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 03:54
^ Unless you're into ambient music I wouldn't recommend "Zeit" to start with, so don't write them off if you don't like it.

As for the topic, I can't think of any example. It's easier to think of Prog bands that played safe and didn't go far enough.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 04:18
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Unless you're into ambient music I wouldn't recommend "Zeit" to start with, so don't write them off if you don't like it.

As for the topic, I can't think of any example. It's easier to think of Prog bands that played safe and didn't go far enough.

Name some safe bands! I want to see the array of opinions on this lol.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 04:55
^ I was listening to the new Flower Kings and Pineapple Thief songs and thinking precisely that. Brilliant playing and production but it seems like they're doing the same song over and over. Feel free to contradict me on that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 05:07
I'll have to check it out. Dream Theater is the safest progressive metal band for me. It's so sterile and clean.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 05:19

I'll have to check it out. Dream Theater is the safest progressive metal band for me. It's so sterile and clean.

these days, yes, I agree, DT plays safe, although I would not call them sterile. But up until Octavarium, they were taking chances, trying new things here and there. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 05:28
I don't like DT much either but they certainly tried different things.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 05:53
For me, a lot of Avant is "out there". Yugen, Univers Zero, and Thinking Plague, for example. The song can start off great, almost melodic, and then they go to the deep end. It's as though they compose dissonant, unsettling, weird, music just for shock value.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 06:13

^ I was listening to the new Flower Kings and Pineapple Thief songs and thinking precisely that. Brilliant playing and production but it seems like they're doing the same song over and over. Feel free to contradict me on that.

Totally agree that they're playing safe. Unfortunately, I feel kind of the same with The Tangent, which I happen to appreciate a lot, and most of the so-called new progressive metal bands, like Haken and Caligula's Horse. Their latest output is basically the same as the albums they did right before these new ones.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 06:14

Someone seems to forget 'The Astonishing'. LOL
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 06:18

Totally agree that they're playing safe. Unfortunately, I feel kind of the same with The Tangent, which I happen to appreciate a lot, and most of the so-called new progressive metal bands, like Haken and Caligula's Horse. Their latest output is basically the same as the albums they did right before these new ones.

I agree Haken and Caligula's Hirse played it safe, but their new albums are still very enjoyable, especially Caligula's Horse's. 

The Tangent is much more fun than TFK. At least with The Tangent, it feels like and sounds like they are having fun making their music. Roine Stolt did an album a couple of years ago, he sounded like he did not want to be there or something. LOL

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 06:24
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I agree Haken and Caligula's Hirse played it safe, but their new albums are still very enjoyable, especially Caligula's Horse's. 

The Tangent is much more fun than TFK. At least with The Tangent, it feels like and sounds like they are having fun making their music. Roine Stolt did an album a couple of years ago, he sounded like he did not want to be there or something. LOL

I couldn't say it better!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 07:07
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

For me, a lot of Avant is "out there". Yugen, Univers Zero, and Thinking Plague, for example. The song can start off great, almost melodic, and then they go to the deep end. It's as though they compose dissonant, unsettling, weird, music just for shock value.

This is the stuff I love! It's not for shock value, it's the music they want to make. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 07:24

I do prefer The Tangent within the genre, for the same reasons Cristi mentioned, although I only own one of their albums (just like with TFK) and I'm perfectly fine with that.
I never heard Caligula's Horse. I'm familiar with Haken's output though and they are moving forward but I'm not very interested in the direction they're taking.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 08:01
There could be no "went too far" because Progressive music was still a part of popular music in the general sense. The record companies, which at the time were real even when dealing with experimental stuff, would not allow it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>