Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Examples of Prog That Went "Too Far"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 20:01
Never mind Tales From Topographic Oceans or A Passion Play. If you want prog that takes everything to brutal prog extremes then check out XHOHX. The only extremity they don't engage in with their only album is length of tracks. Otherwise it's brutal prog for its own sake. Insanity in sound!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 21:24
Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Went too far??....I'm stumped! 

BTW, news flash......Progressive music was a part of popular music, but in the general sense. ConfusedWacko
Exactly. So-called Progressive music, although derived from the then Underground music scene, never was considered as a "serious" avant-garde music but as a part of popular music in a general sense (i.e. not popular music in the sense of 'Pop'). As such, "Prog" never had a chance to "going too far" even if the artists wanted to. Unlike Bandcamp where one can upload whatever he / she wants, at the time the record companies were the real ones and they wouldn't allow the artists to "going too far". Hence this part of an interview from 1976, with the electronic music genius Vangelis Papathanassiou, might be illustrative:

How does Vangelis view the musical changes he has gone through since Aphrodite’s Child and his solo-LP "Earth"?
Vangelis: "Three years ago already I could have made a record like Heaven and Hell. Technically speaking I was ready for it. Why I didn’t do it back then? Because the pop-market wasn’t ready for it at that moment. Some of the recordings I made 10 years ago are musically and technically speaking more complex than Heaven and Hell. The problem you have to deal with as a musician and creator of music is that you have to fight against a market, a record-company and a world for brainwashed people. As creator or performer of pop-music in 1976 you very quickly become the victim of the economic powers of this world who have meanwhile also taken over pop-music. In the sixties the creation and performance of pop-music was a form of (social) protest. Now the creation and performance of pop-music have become big business and most pop-musicians are photo-models in disguise who behave like mindless marionettes in the service of the public and the record-companies."

http://elsew.com/data/oor76.htm

So what is your point?? Because Vangelis was not able to do this, it applies to all artists? You're a very simpleton person it seems.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 00:30
Too far is too often not far enough.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 00:43

Went too far??....I'm stumped! 

BTW, news flash......Progressive music was a part of popular music, but in the general sense. ConfusedWacko
Exactly. So-called Progressive music, although derived from the then Underground music scene, never was considered as a "serious" avant-garde music but as a part of popular music in a general sense (i.e. not popular music in the sense of 'Pop'). As such, "Prog" never had a chance to "going too far" even if the artists wanted to. Unlike Bandcamp where one can upload whatever he / she wants, at the time the record companies were the real ones and they wouldn't allow the artists to "going too far". Hence this part of an interview from 1976, with the electronic music genius Vangelis Papathanassiou, might be illustrative:

How does Vangelis view the musical changes he has gone through since Aphrodite’s Child and his solo-LP "Earth"?
Vangelis: "Three years ago already I could have made a record like Heaven and Hell. Technically speaking I was ready for it. Why I didn’t do it back then? Because the pop-market wasn’t ready for it at that moment. Some of the recordings I made 10 years ago are musically and technically speaking more complex than Heaven and Hell. The problem you have to deal with as a musician and creator of music is that you have to fight against a market, a record-company and a world for brainwashed people. As creator or performer of pop-music in 1976 you very quickly become the victim of the economic powers of this world who have meanwhile also taken over pop-music. In the sixties the creation and performance of pop-music was a form of (social) protest. Now the creation and performance of pop-music have become big business and most pop-musicians are photo-models in disguise who behave like mindless marionettes in the service of the public and the record-companies."

http://elsew.com/data/oor76.htm

So what is your point?? Because Vangelis was not able to do this, it applies to all artists? You're a very simpleton person it seems.
I've posted that Vangelis' interview from 1976 as an illustrative example of what I want to say. Another example would be Rock in Opposition movement from 1978. Rock in Opposition is a genre today, but back then it was a movement representing a collective of experimental rock bands united in their opposition to the music industry that refused to recognize their music. English experimental rock band Henry Cow had invited four bands from Europe to come to London and perform at a festival called "Rock in Opposition" in March 1978. Henry Cow were de facto ignored in England, and spent five years touring Continental Europe. Thus Henry Cow had encountered some experimental bands who were virtually unknown outside their European countries. What Henry Cow had familiar with those bands was that the record companies weren't interested in their music. Henry Cow's contract with Virgin Records was canceled when Virgin found that Henry Cow weren't making money for them. And Virgin was a record company that was dealing with Progressive music at the time.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 00:47
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

There could be no "went too far" because Progressive music was still a part of popular music in the general sense. The record companies, which at the time were real even when dealing with experimental stuff, would not allow it.

Yeah, this is a poor argument man. Record executives go with what they think will sell, regardless. If TFTO would have been better as a 8 part record, they'd have done it, and half of us would love it/hate it, believe me.

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Good philosophical questions. Going too far doesn't necessarily mean breaking the rules because as you said who creates the rules? It can only be an arbitrary judgement at best. When I started the parent thread what I had in mind was going too far from the perspective of someone who was not already a prog fan. Someone who only knows regular rock or maybe classic rock and what they might think of it. I then thought that they might think certain bands or albums were going too far based on the parameters that are usually set by the mainstream(regular radio, etc.). 

So to look at this a bit closer "stairway to heaven," "free bird" or "hotel california" or even "roundabout" wouldn't be going too far, even though they were longer, because they are familiar to most classic rock fans and are typically considered mainstream. Anything beyond that might be considered going "too far." Then again maybe not. If we take prog out of the equation how many people would think "Alice's Restaurant" or "In a gadda da vida" was going too far? That's why maybe song length isn't the only factor. 

For the most part some of the bands who had albums that for me went too far(in a good way though) were:

Jethro Tull
Nektar
The FLower Kings
Transatlantic
ELP
Spock's Beard
Genesis (lamb)
Yes -TFTO and relayer
Tangerine Dream (phaedra)

Plus whoever else I mentioned in my initial thread that asked about prog going too far.

Thank you, you've uncovered exactly why I made this thread at this time. Now, apply it to all topics on prog! Where does it end? What is END, if not implying a START? Was the start caveman prog? Wink

Great comments in this thread guys keep them coming.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 00:54
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Too far is too often not far enough.

I'm inclined to agree, but then again, my personal tastes for top 10 records of all time include:

So I don't really have much of a personal line LOL LOL.

Again, as AFlowerKingCrimson so acutely observed; where is the line?

Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 00:57
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

There could be no "went too far" because Progressive music was still a part of popular music in the general sense. The record companies, which at the time were real even when dealing with experimental stuff, would not allow it.

Yeah, this is a poor argument man. Record executives go with what they think will sell, regardless. If TFTO would have been better as a 8 part record, they'd have done it, and half of us would love it/hate it, believe me.
I'm afraid that "Tales from the Topographic Oceans" is a "normal" Prog Rock album compared to the stuff I already mentioned on this thread.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 01:20
Love Beach by ELP, obviously.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 01:21
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Love Beach by ELP, obviously.

LOL

best answer so far

CLOSE THE THREAD, CLOSE THE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Cristi - September 17 2020 at 01:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 01:54

I'm afraid that "Tales from the Topographic Oceans" is a "normal" Prog Rock album compared to the stuff I already mentioned on this thread.

They still have nothing on the two albums in my last post IMHO. Those two are pinnacles of avant WTF-ness.

SixString View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixString Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 02:09
I don't know why TFTO is considered so far out. Most of it is not so different from CTTE and the later ones like 'Relayer'. The biggest issues are some very poor solo guitar bits and a lot of time wasting noodling.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 02:44

They still have nothing on the two albums in my last post IMHO. Those two are pinnacles of avant WTF-ness.
Okay, I don't deny that. In addition, I'd like to add these:

Henry Cow - "Extract From With The Yellow Half-Moon And Blue Star" (1973)

Samla Mammas Manna - "Oförutsedd Förlossning" (1973)

Univers Zero - "Ronde" (1977)

Brian Eno wasn't a part of above mentioned Rock in Opposition movement but I'd like to mention this experimental record as well.

Brian Eno (feat. Robert Wyatt, Rhett Davies) - "1/1" (1978)

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 02:50
I think this thread went too far... Clown
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 04:16

You're interjecting 80s and 90s industry trends with record company practices of the early 70s. After the 60s, record companies in the early 70s didn't know what was going to be the next big seller as the previous decade was full of surprises. It was more a case of "let's throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks." That's why we have albums like TFTO by Yes and The Lamb by Genesis. Once the smoke cleared, then the record companies started to dictate the current musical trends to their artists and take over artistic control to high degree.

Edited by SteveG - September 17 2020 at 04:24
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 04:48
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Ummagumma Studio album is probably a case where they let the band do what they wanted and not turning out great, I'm kinda glad that Household Objects wasn't released at the time.

Can't agree with you for a single bit here. I find 'Ummagumma' a truly gorgeous progressive rock album with all its strengths and faults. No one EVER did something like that, or no one ever tried to. In that sense, it is a truly unique and innovative record. And does it really sound so bad.? Don't think so, I find it enjoyable.
As for the Household Objects project, it is a thing that could have been very fascinating to hear... Because once again, who else has the balls to try something that odd???
Anyways, everything happens for a reason, so probably the results were not so good for this one, but definitely not for 'Ummagumma'...
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 05:34
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Ummagumma Studio album is probably a case where they let the band do what they wanted and not turning out great, I'm kinda glad that Household Objects wasn't released at the time.

Can't agree with you for a single bit here. I find 'Ummagumma' a truly gorgeous progressive rock album with all its strengths and faults. No one EVER did something like that, or no one ever tried to. In that sense, it is a truly unique and innovative record. And does it really sound so bad.? Don't think so, I find it enjoyable.
As for the Household Objects project, it is a thing that could have been very fascinating to hear... Because once again, who else has the balls to try something that odd???
Anyways, everything happens for a reason, so probably the results were not so good for this one, but definitely not for 'Ummagumma'...
If you like the experimental psychedelia, then you'll surely like "Monster Movie" the album by Can, released the same year.

Can - "You Doo Right" (1969)

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 05:36

Ummagumma is a top 3 Floyd album for me so I'm not saying I don't like it, I do, a lot. The question was did they go too far. Personally I love out there stuff so I'm not a good judge. It was just an example that popped into my head of when the band got away with doing stuff you normally wouldn't expect and could possibly be termed 'too far'. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 05:58

Totally agree

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 05:59

If you like the experimental psychedelia, then you'll surely like "Monster Movie" the album by Can, released the same year.

Can - "You Doo Right" (1969)

Great, don't know this. Will definitely check it out. Thank you for the suggestion!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 06:17

Ummagumma is a top 3 Floyd album for me so I'm not saying I don't like it, I do, a lot. The question was did they go too far. Personally I love out there stuff so I'm not a good judge. It was just an example that popped into my head of when the band got away with doing stuff you normally wouldn't expect and could possibly be termed 'too far'. 
I think it's worth noting that by modern standards Ummgumma may seem tame but at the time of the album's release in 1969 it was quite outre.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>