Bands that change their sound often

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bands that change their sound often
    Posted: September 22 2020 at 03:07
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

First ones that come to mind are: Pink Floyd and King Crimson, I guess.

Pink Floyd? Granted they changed from the initial Syd psychedelic sound but I would contend that all their albums from Meddle onwards are pretty similar.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 01:46
Death

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 00:13
Popol Vuh
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 00:08
First ones that come to mind are: Pink Floyd and King Crimson, I guess.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 23:18
fact is, very few

The sound is usually down to the equipment being used and very few bands just change their instruments or rig that often. The ever evolving style thing is a myth of progressive rock although Gentle Giant came as close to anyone. Their albums between 1973 and 1975 are all very different to me.

Joke suggestions are Genesis , Rush and Tull

King Crimson were never a traditional band and had a lot of line up changes that inevitably changed the sound , same with Yes to a lessor extent.

ELP don't get many mentions , but there are major differences in sound crossing from the classically eclectic debut in 1970 , the electronic approach of BSS in 1973 and then the more acoustic based Works Volume One 1977. Love Beach in 1978 , ELPowell in 86 and Black Moon in 82 also all sound very different. Mostly it was the same line up so some credit is due to them for attempting to evolve.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 14:50
Motorpsycho
The Prog Corner
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 12:51
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Strawbs.
Thumbs Up
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 12:45
The Alan Parsons Project
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 12:32
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

Originally posted by Earl of Mar Earl of Mar wrote:

NWOBH ? Sorry as someone who met the band in the late 70s, they were respected by the likes of maiden, Saxon and Leppard but they were not and never were part of NWOBHM whatever that was other than something a sounds journalist thought up in the pub.

UFO - "Lights Out" (1977)

music media coined the term NWOBHM in 1979. So how is UFO NWOBHM in 1977?Wacko

They weren’t. They could, however, be fairly described as a band who had a massive influence on those bands which were.

I just said the same thing a few posts above... 
Dare I say it did not matter... 
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 12:23
Focus
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 12:16
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

NWOBH ? Sorry as someone who met the band in the late 70s, they were respected by the likes of maiden, Saxon and Leppard but they were not and never were part of NWOBHM whatever that was other than something a sounds journalist thought up in the pub.

They weren’t. They could, however, be fairly described as a band who had a massive influence on those bands which were.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 12:11

Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 12:06

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 11:47

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

UFO
UFO? Well I know they started off a bit space rock but I don't think they changed their sound much once they settled down into a rock groove.
space-rock, hard-rock, NWOBHM.

UFO were never NWOBHM, they were an influence on many NWOBHM bands, that's true. 
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 11:46
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

UFO were an Unidentified Wave of British Heavy Metal. Smile
Well said, sir! Clap
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 11:45

UFO were an Unidentified Wave of British Heavy Metal. Smile
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 11:40
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 11:24
Electric Light Orchestra
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 11:03
David Bowie
Talk Talk
Frank Zappa
Opeth
Enslaved
In The Woods...
Sieges Even
King Crimson

FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 10:55
Originally posted by FloydianPinkRose FloydianPinkRose wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by FloydianPinkRose FloydianPinkRose wrote:

Lol, Hello, AFlowerKingCrimson, Boboulo and FatherChristmas! I normally reserve my comments for Psychedelic Paul’s threads, but just want to share with you the fact that your comical banter amused me greatly. When you talked about “Bands That Change Their Sound Often,” referencing Jethro Tull, Yes and Genesis, saying Genesis did Prog, Pop, and maybe Prog-Pop, that made me smile. 😊 Then the dialogue between the three of you, when Boboulo said Family, and AFlowerKingCrimson (whose name is as hard as mine to write multiple times) said “you’re not going to list six Family songs on six different posts, are you?” And as he rattled off bands, I had to laugh. And when AFlowerKingCrimson said “don’t give him ideas.” Then FatherChristmas called Boboulo “Svetobobo,” and said he had other tricks up his sleeve. And Boboulo carried on naming bands, I said to myself, this is the kind of innocent quibbling that makes this site so rich. So enjoyable. Humor is so important, and when you share a passion, music, or otherwise, a little friendly verbal jousting is all part of it. It’s the personal digs and antagonism that irks me. But gentlemen, I’m glad I came to see “wuzzup,” on this thread. Carry on!! FloydianPinkRose. 👍😊

I wasn't the one who said don't give him ideas. Anyway, it's fun to a point but with someone like this it's just annoying and at some point it becomes obvious that he's just trying to test the waters here to see how far he can go. He probably won't last long under this name. We all know who he is. He's like the little kid trying to reach for the cookie after you told him not to.

Hey, AFlowerKingCrimson, never did one of these quotes before ... hope I did it right. Argh!! Sorry, it was FatherChristmas who said that about giving him the idea. And your reply made me smile too. 😊👍.   FloydianPinkRose
Wink
I called him Svetobobo as his old name was Svetonio, but then he got banned for trolling (several times, I believe). Quite a funny guy but sadly he takes himself seriously, it seems. 
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>