Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands that change their sound often

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 14:50
Motorpsycho
The Prog Corner
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 23:18
fact is, very few

The sound is usually down to the equipment being used and very few bands just change their instruments or rig that often. The ever evolving style thing is a myth of progressive rock although Gentle Giant came as close to anyone. Their albums between 1973 and 1975 are all very different to me.

Joke suggestions are Genesis , Rush and Tull

King Crimson were never a traditional band and had a lot of line up changes that inevitably changed the sound , same with Yes to a lessor extent.

ELP don't get many mentions , but there are major differences in sound crossing from the classically eclectic debut in 1970 , the electronic approach of BSS in 1973 and then the more acoustic based Works Volume One 1977. Love Beach in 1978 , ELPowell in 86 and Black Moon in 82 also all sound very different. Mostly it was the same line up so some credit is due to them for attempting to evolve.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 00:08
First ones that come to mind are: Pink Floyd and King Crimson, I guess.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 00:13
Popol Vuh
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 01:46
Death

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 03:07
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

First ones that come to mind are: Pink Floyd and King Crimson, I guess.

Pink Floyd? Granted they changed from the initial Syd psychedelic sound but I would contend that all their albums from Meddle onwards are pretty similar.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234