Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands that change their sound often

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 16:34
I agree with Jethro Tull and Yes. For me Genesis did prog and pop and not much else except maybe prog pop. :)
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 16:42
Family
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 17:06
Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

Family

You're not going to post six different Family songs in six different posts now are you? Wink
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 17:12
Uriah Heep
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 17:15
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Family

You're not going to post six different Family songs in six different posts now are you? Wink

Don't give him the idea!
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 17:17
Deep Purple
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 17:19
No, I take that back. Looks like Svetobobo has other tricks up his sleeve.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 17:21
UFO
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 17:27
Blue Öyster Cult
FloydianPinkRose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FloydianPinkRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 18:34
Lol, Hello, AFlowerKingCrimson, Boboulo and FatherChristmas! I normally reserve my comments for Psychedelic Paul’s threads, but just want to share with you the fact that your comical banter amused me greatly. When you talked about “Bands That Change Their Sound Often,” referencing Jethro Tull, Yes and Genesis, saying Genesis did Prog, Pop, and maybe Prog-Pop, that made me smile. 😊 Then the dialogue between the three of you, when Boboulo said Family, and AFlowerKingCrimson (whose name is as hard as mine to write multiple times) said “you’re not going to list six Family songs on six different posts, are you?” And as he rattled off bands, I had to laugh. And when AFlowerKingCrimson said “don’t give him ideas.” Then FatherChristmas called Boboulo “Svetobobo,” and said he had other tricks up his sleeve. And Boboulo carried on naming bands, I said to myself, this is the kind of innocent quibbling that makes this site so rich. So enjoyable. Humor is so important, and when you share a passion, music, or otherwise, a little friendly verbal jousting is all part of it. It’s the personal digs and antagonism that irks me. But gentlemen, I’m glad I came to see “wuzzup,” on this thread. Carry on!! FloydianPinkRose. 👍😊

Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 18:55
Wishbone Ash
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 19:19
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Family

Don't give him the idea!

Too late now. He's listing one band per post. Not sure if he's deliberately trolling us but I think he's leaning in that direction. Wink
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 19:20
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Strawbs.

agreed, and I'll add Eloy as well
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 19:22
Originally posted by FloydianPinkRose FloydianPinkRose wrote:

Lol, Hello, AFlowerKingCrimson, Boboulo and FatherChristmas! I normally reserve my comments for Psychedelic Paul’s threads, but just want to share with you the fact that your comical banter amused me greatly. When you talked about “Bands That Change Their Sound Often,” referencing Jethro Tull, Yes and Genesis, saying Genesis did Prog, Pop, and maybe Prog-Pop, that made me smile. 😊 Then the dialogue between the three of you, when Boboulo said Family, and AFlowerKingCrimson (whose name is as hard as mine to write multiple times) said “you’re not going to list six Family songs on six different posts, are you?” And as he rattled off bands, I had to laugh. And when AFlowerKingCrimson said “don’t give him ideas.” Then FatherChristmas called Boboulo “Svetobobo,” and said he had other tricks up his sleeve. And Boboulo carried on naming bands, I said to myself, this is the kind of innocent quibbling that makes this site so rich. So enjoyable. Humor is so important, and when you share a passion, music, or otherwise, a little friendly verbal jousting is all part of it. It’s the personal digs and antagonism that irks me. But gentlemen, I’m glad I came to see “wuzzup,” on this thread. Carry on!! FloydianPinkRose. 👍😊

I wasn't the one who said don't give him ideas. Anyway, it's fun to a point but with someone like this it's just annoying and at some point it becomes obvious that he's just trying to test the waters here to see how far he can go. He probably won't last long under this name. We all know who he is. He's like the little kid trying to reach for the cookie after you told him not to.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 20:04
I think Buckethead wins this hands down.

Other artists include (not necessarily prog)

Ween
Herbie Hancock
Opeth
Madonna
Mr Bungle
Zappa / Mothers
Residents
King Crimson
Talk Talk
Swans
Brian Eno
Yes
Soft Machine
Sun Ra
Sepultura

That's all i can think of at the moment

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 22:41
I think bands from the 90s onwards tend to do this in a more extreme way. Like the King Gizzard examples show a way higher level of diversity over the releases than, say Genesis or Supertramp. Now, newer bands tend to have more time between releases on average than the classic bands that were doing at least one a year on average, so that could explain some of it. But Gizzard kind of quashes that again, considering they released like five albums in 2017, all with very different sounds.

I think the only band/artist from the "classic" era that really changed drastically between styles, even within a year or on an album itself, was Zappa. He's one of the only ones comparable to, say, Kayo Dot (as someone pointed out earlier, I'll have to take their word for it).
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 00:40
Gorguts
Frank Zappa
Yes
Genesis
VDGG
Eloy
Miles Davis
Herbie Hancock
Return to Forever
Sun Ra
Billy Cobham
Atheist
Cynic
Pestilence
King Crimson
Camel
Mr. Bungle
Jethro Tull

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 01:52
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I think Buckethead wins this hands down.

Quote]

It wouldn’t be difficult for Mr KFC Bonce to win this particular category, given that he releases albums with the frequency that the rest of us pay a visit to the toilet.

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 02:33

Gong

Killer band. Never got the appreciation they deserve...
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 03:01
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Gong

Killer band. Never got the appreciation they deserve...

Another one I need to dive more deeply into. Added to the list! I tend to go deep on 2-3 "new to my ears" prog bands every winter. Line 'em up!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>