Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive poll 41b - Welcome to the machines!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive poll 41b - Welcome to the machines!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Poll Question: Three favourites please!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [15.15%]
5 [15.15%]
2 [6.06%]
3 [9.09%]
1 [3.03%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.06%]
3 [9.09%]
3 [9.09%]
5 [15.15%]
1 [3.03%]
2 [6.06%]
1 [3.03%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 23:42
my three choices

The Protomen - The Stand (Man or Machine)
Sensible Soccers - Nunca Mais Me Esquece
Simple Minds - Theme For Great Cities
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 08:41
My choices this time around:

1.  Bekki Williams “River of Night’s Dreaming,” has more orchestral sound than a lot of these have, with an electronic repetitive underpinning.  Bordering on New Age, but not firmly stuck there, at least to my ear.  Probably predictable for me, but, at least I'm consistent.
2.    Irmin Schmidt “Toy Planet,” starts very quietly, sort of a repetitive choral sound, spooky.  I always like spooky.
3.  The Fireman “Watercolour Guitars” Really enjoyed the spaciness of this, had no idea Paul McCartney dabbled in this arena, but not surprised, either, that he did.

Honourable Mentions:

Sensible Soccers - Nunca mais me esquece | No Ar | Antena 3  Enjoyed the hypnotic sense of this one with the guitar work, more feeling, less robotic than a lot of these have been.

Venetian Snares “Hajnal”  kinda spacy classical jazz feel to this. Almost made it, but it got too much in my face for me at one point. 

Svarte Greiner - Easy On The Bones  I find this one very intriguing and spooky as heck!  Wish this had been a nominee, it was my very favourite. 

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 09:55

1. Sensible Soccers - Nunca Mais Me Esquece
2. Irmin Schmidt - Toy Planet
3. Egisto Macchi - Camere anecoiche

I have to say that there was something to enjoy about every one of the final nominations.  Great choices everyone!

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 11:12
Lothar and the Hand People and La Femme are very enjoyable but will eventually not snatch my vote because there's some stuff that I really really dig. I won't vote for the Fireman because I knew this already, but I like it a lot. Chapeau Mr McCartney!
The top three will come from Egisto Macchi, Nerolux, Venetian Snares, OMD, and Sensible Soccers. I still have to make my mind up finally. As I wrote before, I'm happy having proposed this topic because you posted some seriously cool stuff that I didn't know, even if some don't like this genre very much.

Quote Svarte Greiner - Easy On The Bones  I find this one very intriguing and spooky as heck!  Wish this had been a nominee, it was my very favourite.
I was thinking between this and Irmin Schmidt and what eventually convinced me to nominate Schmidt was actually that you wrote you liked it most among mine. Anyway, happy that you liked two of mine so much!

Edited by Lewian - October 11 2020 at 11:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 11:32
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Lothar and the Hand People and La Femme are very enjoyable but will eventually not snatch my vote because there's some stuff that I really really dig. I won't vote for the Fireman because I knew this already, but I like it a lot. Chapeau Mr McCartney!
The top three will come from Egisto Macchi, Nerolux, Venetian Snares, OMD, and Sensible Soccers. I still have to make my mind up finally. As I wrote before, I'm happy having proposed this topic because you posted some seriously cool stuff that I didn't know, even if some don't like this genre very much.

Quote Svarte Greiner - Easy On The Bones  I find this one very intriguing and spooky as heck!  Wish this had been a nominee, it was my very favourite.
I was thinking between this and Irmin Schmidt and what eventually convinced me to nominate Schmidt was actually that you wrote you liked it most among mine. Anyway, happy that you liked two of mine so much!
  You know, I forgot this was one of yours, I was mixing it up with suitkees entries.  But I do also enjoy the Schmidt, so it still made it!  :)  Personally, I don't dislike the genre, just don't know much about it, but have had fun learning some!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 15:12
My three votes, in the order presented (instead of the order of preference):

Lothar and the Hand People - Machines

If a fourth vote were permitted, it would include:

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 16:41
This poll was a bit like reading a science fiction book for me, because we move into an area that I have rarely entered. So my grades are just instinct. 

Here they are:

PODIUM: 

1) Egisto Macchi. He is great, but in Italy nobody knows him.

2) The Fireman. Very strange to my ears but beauty is beaty anyway.

4) Irmin Schmidt. We should almost admit her here in PA, shouldn't we?
---------------

4) Simple Minds

5) The Protomen.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - October 11 2020 at 16:46
"Happiness is real only when shared"
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 16:46
This poll was a bit like reading a science fiction book for me, because we move into an area that I have rarely entered. So my grades are just instinct. 

Here they are:

PODIUM: 

1) Egisto Macchi. He is great, but in Italy nobody knows him.

2) The Fireman. Very strange to my ears but beauty is beaty anyway.

---------------

4) Simple Minds

5) The Protomen

6) Sensible Soccers.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 03:41
There's really hardly anything between my top 5. I listened again and my mood of the day points to voting for the three that don't have votes yet, namely Nerolux, Venetian Snares, and OMD. Particularly Nerolux impressed me today, Germania 1 is exciting from beginning to end, quite a bit better than Germania 2 but that wasn't nominated. Actually the video may have helped - I have an interest in Weimar republic German politics so this was a bonus. Venetian Snares is in a similar corner with many ideas and complexity. Originally I had wanted to vote for just one of these, but when I listened to Hajnal again I realised I couldn't vote against it. The OMD piece and Sensible Soccers are somewhat less experimental and I decided to vote for one of these. OMD convinced me slightly more today. I have already bought the Egisto Macchi album so I have compensated for not voting for him, great stuff anyway.   
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 03:50
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

T

---------------

Absolutely. I have suggested him twice but it seems no team wants to have him. Probably he did too many different things to fit into any subgenre and he is even too eclectic for Eclectic. Also he did quite a bit of stuff that can't be classified as prog, evil evil. Last thing I heard was that he could be considered for Prog Related, but I have no idea how the decision process for Prog Related works. Seriously, if Irmin Schmidt, Can founder and member over their whole time, and with a very weighty discography himself with lots of prog in it doesn't qualify for Prog Related at the very least, I don't know who does. This is really a bone I have to pick with PA, I find it totally incomprehensible that he isn't here. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 04:13
It was a tough choice but went with Lothar and the Hand People, Venetian Snares and Adrian Enescu.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 07:01
My votes went to the Fireman, Nerolux, and Sensible Soccers. Honorable mentions to Egisto Macchi, Irmin Schmidt, and Simple Minds. Overall, a good listen and worked well as music on headphones as I work music. 

Edited by mathman0806 - October 12 2020 at 07:05
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 08:48
Well, I hope this comes through, but if I have to spend half an hour to get through all the server timeout messages before being able to post one, then you won't see me much here on PA. And because of that I will probably not be able to effectively cast my votes, but they are going to:
- Egisto Macchi, just because it's a masterpiece
- Lothar & the Hand People, very good and pleasant surprise - will try to find the album.
- Venetian Snares, I very much like the mix of styles and instruments and electronics.

It was overall a nice trip in machineland, thanks Lewian!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 12:03
No special order....

Lothar.....have always liked weird 60's stuff...so...
Macchi...very atmospheric and intense.
Soccers...electronic jazz fusion...?...very listenable.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 14:12
Work in progress:

Egisto Macchi - Camera anecoiche
This sounds really intriguing to me with the sound effects and the monotonous "drone". Also, I have always liked the combination of electronic sounds and acoustic instruments (in this case, string instruments). Like it a lot!

It's wild that this is from the 60's. The singer sounds like a sort of mix between Mick Jagger and Tom Verlaine! I like the aesthetics a lot.

Nerolux - Germania 1
Another very interesting piece. Cacophonic and nightmarish.

Venetian Snares - Hajnal
Starts with a very staccato string section. Later a piano is added. Then follows a jazzy section with drumkit and clarinet. Then back to the string orchestra. The electronic elements come in from circa 3:30. Towards the end they almost become grotesque. Overall very eclectic.

Adrian Enescu - În cerc
Starts with the sound of a symphony orchestra tuning (even it is still not entirely in tune at the end of it). Then follows a very analogue sounding synth pience. It sounds kind of proggy actually.

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark -Architecture and Morality
Another rather nightmarish piece. Nevertheless very fascinating. Kind of Bowie'ish at times (Berlin period). If anything: perhaps a bit too short, but it's a strong contender for my votes.

Edited by The Anders - October 16 2020 at 14:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 15:10
Part 2:

The Fireman - Watercolour Guitars
Minimalistic arpeggio intro on a minor 7 chord. Evolves slowly with small changes. Absolutely an interesting piece of music. Kind of kraut'ish, if the word exists. Unfortunately it is hard for me to keep concentrating on listening to it. However interesting it is, it doesn't entirely grab me.

Irmin Schmidt - Toy Planet
To me this mostly sounds like background music, and I don't mean this in a bad sense. Things like Erik Satie's Musique d'ameublement or Brian Eno's ambient projects were specifically created as backdrops - to work as a part of the ambience on par with other sounds, furniture, pictures etc. The music in Toy Planet sounds like it could have been from a movie soundtrack (a rather dystopian one I imagine), and there is no doubt it is very creative and artistic. But it is hard to sit back and listen to it as an autonomous piece of music, because it doesn't really work as such. That's why I rarely buy motion picture soundtracks: The music is not meant to be heard separated from the picture; it often becomes boring that way.

The marrimba-like riff makes me think of Larks Tongues in Aspic. It works very well with the 5/4 beat. Very rhythmic overall and, dare I say, kind of proggy. The other sound elements drag it down for me somewhat, but I fully acknowledge its qualities. I like the guitar parts a lot. There is something a bit late-70's about it.

The piano intro doesn't exactly scream electro to me. Then the music turns to metal, but there are some pling plong synth sounds after a minute. Sadly the lyrics are too pompous for my taste.

We're in soundtrack land once again, but this time I find it easier to listen to as a separate piece of music. I like many elements in the music. A real drum kit and an electric guitar mean that the music doesn't get too sterile - one of the dangers of much electronic music.

I get new wave vibes from this, and there is something a bit DYI about it that I find charming.

Edited by The Anders - October 21 2020 at 15:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 16:48
So I finally got to vote. Terribly sorry for the delay, but I have been rather hung up lately.

These were my votes:

Egisto Macchi - Camere anecoiche
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark -Architecture and Morality
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 23:02
Glad you enjoyed Lothar and his hand people, The Anders.  :)
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 11:25
It is nice to see that the votes are rather nicely spread over all (but two) of the songs. Probably shows both the diversity and the quality of the propositions! And, again, I made some nice discoveries, thanks to this poll...!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567