Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive poll 41b - Welcome to the machines!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive poll 41b - Welcome to the machines!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Poll Question: Three favourites please!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [15.15%]
5 [15.15%]
2 [6.06%]
3 [9.09%]
1 [3.03%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.06%]
3 [9.09%]
3 [9.09%]
5 [15.15%]
1 [3.03%]
2 [6.06%]
1 [3.03%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 04:55
Two further Nerolux suggestions... interesting project, but I like the first one most.
Simple Minds... similar as OMD, I never really liked them, as they were far too centered on their charismatic singer in my view. Here's an instrumental which I like quite a bit more than how I had them in mind. I'd prefer the OMD one though.
Anonymous Collective - not my cup of tea, particularly due to the in my ears unattractive vocals.
Meat Beat Manifesto - very slick, I like this!
Adriane in Wonderland - This sounds too "thick" for me, I miss some subtlety. (I have proposed a techno track, I know...) "Learning to Relax" by the same artist is quite a bit better in the first three minutes but then when the rhythm and singing starts it's too thick for me again.
Venetian Snares was the first artist I have already bought inspired by this poll. Magnificant Stumble is good, though I like the first one more.
Sensible Soccers - Yes, that's the opposite of "too thick", very nice lean music giving some sense of efficiency and avoidance of waste. Like the 5/4.
Banco de Gaia, Last Train to Lhasa - another artists where I like the first suggestion more, although this is creative and not bad.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 05:00
"We're all doomed"- indeed we are. Big smile
The Overload, a lot of dark atmosphere here, which I often like. The music is great, but as often with electronic music, unfortunately, the vocals are not a winner.
Erik K. Skovdin - for some reason I have explored Svarte Greiner, but never the stuff that Skovdin does under his own name. This is very good, although I don't really see the difference in style - this would without problems fit on any Svarte Greiner album as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, thanks for reminding me that this stuff is around, I will check him out.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 05:11
Some more things that are not yet on the playlist... haven't commented on anything by Psychedelic Paul yet.
This is good music though a bit too optimistic for my darker tastes. I prefer the Andy Pickford one, which has some interesting soundscapes before the melody comes in.

Awesome J.S. Bach cover version posted by Dr. Wu - not sure whether I'd vote for it but it's very worthwhile as a thing to do.

I bought Evans & Hanselmann's Stonehenge album at the time, being a fan of electronic music, but I've got to say it disappointed me, and here once more the vocals ruin it for me. (It seems to get me you've got to be either a Peter Gabriel or Bjork, or rather do instrumentals... I'm very critical with voices. With some unpredictable exceptions.) Similarly X.I.O... well this is too cheesy for me. suitkees and I apparently can agree on the darker side of things, but when it comes to nice and beautiful music, give me Tangerine Dream over these day and night.

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 12:00
For my second electronic tune, I choose one from Australia that was released in 1998:

Endorphin - Embrace

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 12:07
let's have a deadline for final nominations.
This is starting to drag a little bit. Embarrassed
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 12:13
My nomination is:

Nerolux: Germania 1
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 12:40
For my third electronic tune, here is some 80s euro-synth-pop from 2013:

La Femme - Packshot

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 13:58
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

You're impatient. Perhaps people like that they have some time to listen to stuff.
I gave a deadline already. Nominations in please by end Wednesday!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 14:01
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

You're impatient. Perhaps people like that they have some time to listen to stuff.
I gave a deadline already. Nominations in please by end Wednesday!

ok, Wednesday it is. Smile
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 17:12
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

For my second electronic tune, I choose one from Australia that was released in 1998:

Endorphin - Embrace

Not available in the US. I did find this which is from a compilation. I like it. Hope it's the same track.

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 17:16
Been busy, but have updated the overall playlist for the latest additions.

I'll be busy for a while, so my nominee will be Venetian Snares "Hajnal".

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 03:34
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Endorphin - Embrace

Not available in the US. I did find this which is from a compilation. I like it. Hope it's the same track.

Yes, it is the same track.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 14:17
I prophesy disaster: Endorphin is too smooth and nice for my taste. La Femme is fresh and original, and by some distance my favourite among your proposals.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 14:28
Some 24 hours left for nominations and maybe the odd feedback (I haven't settled on anything yet and would love to here one word about Serge Blenner who hasn't been mentioned yet if I see it correctly, even if you don't like it).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 14:30
final nomination
Adrian Enescu - In Cerc (In Circles). 
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 14:35
My nomination is Juana Molina - "Wed 21" (since it was the only one I posted).
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 15:17

I bought Evans & Hanselmann's Stonehenge album at the time, being a fan of electronic music, but I've got to say it disappointed me, and here once more the vocals ruin it for me. (It seems to get me you've got to be either a Peter Gabriel or Bjork, or rather do instrumentals... I'm very critical with voices. With some unpredictable exceptions.) Similarly X.I.O... well this is too cheesy for me. suitkees and I apparently can agree on the darker side of things, but when it comes to nice and beautiful music, give me Tangerine Dream over these day and night.

You see, I have my cheesy side too... Smile
But if you like it darker and more atmospheric, you must know Kreng. If not, explore his work. It was Erik Skodvin who signed him to the Miasmah label for his first album: L'autopsie phénoménale de Dieu. It combines acoustic instruments, samples, electronics... Nils Frahm contributed to his second album, Grimoire. His third album, The Summoner, is as atmospheric but mostly acoustic/classical (a great album too!); this one was issued on the Sonic Pieces label. Miasmah and Sonic Pieces have joined their shops now, but be careful: there's a lot of good stuff up there, so your bank account may suffer a little...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 15:20
BTW, I will nominate Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Architecture and Morality
I think it is the most accessible that I put up here.

BTW2, that Moochin' About compilation is quite impressive...!

Edited by suitkees - October 06 2020 at 15:24

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 16:18

Some 24 hours left for nominations and maybe the odd feedback (I haven't settled on anything yet and would love to here one word about Serge Blenner who hasn't been mentioned yet if I see it correctly, even if you don't like it).
  This one had a good, memorable melody and sort of hopped about happily, until the batteries got low (lol), but I preferred the Irmin Schmidt "Toy Planet," one of yours, to this.  Probably predictable, I tend to go for spooky stuff.  However, I do bow to your much more-educated ears in this genre.  I hope another aficionado of EM will give you some feedback, besides mine.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 17:23
After being buried with Archive tasks, I haven't been able to go through very many tracks this time around, and I really wanted to go through them all.  I don't see how that's going to happen at this time, but I'll give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes.  I apologize for not giving feedback this time around, as I always find everyone else's feedback very helpful, and always wish I could reciprocate each time.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>