Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where is Snarky Puppy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 11:12
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Re Meltdowner:
I would imagine that since Jagga Jazzist comes from prog turned metal band Shining might have something to do with it.
JJ were actually added first on PA. I never heard Shining though, I'll have to look into them.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 11:22
Don't really know Snarky Puppy well (remember the suggestions), but I have Jaga Jazzist's One Armed Bandit album and to me that is a no-brainer album for PA. Glad JJ is in PA.

By the way, if you are wondering why this was moved to General Music Discussions from the Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation forum, that section, and all of the prog forum sections, is intended for acts already in PA. For discussions like this, General Music Discussions is the place and when formally suggesting one's for inclusion, then Suggest New Bands and Artists. Agree there doesn't seem much point in suggesting them again, but if, say, the post 2018 albums seem undeniably Prog Archives worthy, and are more compelling than earlier material, then it could be suggested again for those. It would require unanimous yes votes due to the prior rejections. When a band releases a new album it can be open to re-evaluation and I don't actually know what was the latest Snarky Puppy that was checked by JRF or how many times it was formally evaluated. I've had music I thought fit for JRF that was rejected, and I accept that.

Just out of curiosity, which Snarky Puppy albums do people think make the most compelling case for addition to PA?
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 11:29
Yeah I've definitely brought this up before but I believe Logan said they were turned down for being too jazz. Honestly though, from Tell Your Friends onward, they've deserved to be on this site in my opinion. Especially considering the inclusion of other groups here. They certainly belong in that sort of third stream/nu jazz/acid jazz grouping, but they really are fusion enough (and often proggy) to be here (again, my opinion). Same with Chick Corea. If Miles and Herbie are here, and have most of their discography consisting of non-fusion releases, then Chick at least should really be here based on The Leprechaun through Tap Step alone.

As for SP, all you have to do is listen to tunes like Flood, Ready Wednesday, Binky, What About Me?, Lingus, Big Ugly, Xavi, etc., to experience their worthiness for inclusion. Plus, their album Sylva is stunning, as it features an orchestra (the Metropole Orkest from The Netherlands) and would probably appeal to fans of Renaissance and Jaga Jazzist alike.

Anyway, regardless of whether or not they get included (not holding my breath), check them out! They are awesome.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 11:38
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Don't really know Snarky Puppy well (remember the suggestions), but I have Jaga Jazzist's One Armed Bandit album and to me that is a no-brainer album for PA. Glad JJ is in PA.

By the way, if you are wondering why this was moved to General Music Discussions from the Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation forum, that section, and all of the prog forum sections, is intended for acts already in PA. For discussions like this, General Music Discussions is the place and when formally suggesting one's for inclusion, then Suggest New Bands and Artists. Agree there doesn't seem much point in suggesting them again, but if, say, the post 2018 albums seem undeniably Prog Archives worthy, and are more compelling than earlier material, then it could be suggested again for those. It would require unanimous yes votes due to the prior rejections. When a band releases a new album it can be open to re-evaluation and I don't actually know what was the latest Snarky Puppy that was checked by JRF or how many times it was formally evaluated. I've had music I thought fit for JRF that was rejected, and I accept that.

Just out of curiosity, which Snarky Puppy albums do people think make the most compelling case for addition to PA?

The best one I could give you is 'Sylva', a live album with the Metropole Orkest (I think that was the correct name), and it's really good!
As all of their live albums.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 11:44

Oh hey Logan, we must have posted at the same time.

I would definitely recommend their albums from Tell Your Friends onward, if not for consideration on this site, then just to simply enjoy them. Each has elements of prog and CERTAINLY fusion. 

Also, they are a GREAT live act. In fact, their most popular albums from 2010-2015 were all done live in a studio or on a soundstage with a small audience (except Sylva, which I think was in a concert hall). This makes sense for jazz-focused acts, because they can really play off of each others choices. But they have live versions of tunes I've heard that are even better than the ones that ended up on the records in my opinion. When I saw them at SF Jazz in 2018, they played amazing versions of Flood and Ready Wednesday. I love how they'll bring back older tunes and change them so they don't get bored. Check out some live footage on YouTube. I'm pretty sure each album track also has a professionally cut video of it being recorded as well, at least from 2010-2015.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 12:00
^ This one almost sounds Zappa like at times.

Edited by Argo2112 - October 01 2020 at 12:14
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 12:22
^ Oh yeah, it definitely has Zappa stylings. One-Armed Bandit is one of my favourite albums of the past decade.

Thanks, Awesoreno, I have no say in JRF, but I will check those out at some time. I love various Nu Jazz, by the way. St Germain is a favourite of mine for the album Tourist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX5-i7BCenw And thanks A Crimson Mellotron, will check that out anon. Right now I'm in a particular kind of lounge music mood. :lol:

As for Miles Davis, while he has a big discography, his 1969 to 1977 Electric Miles period (the five studio albums and various live albums, like four) is great and I fully supported that for PA. And I might argue that because Bitches Brew is here, Donald Byrd should be here based on Electric Byrd (Oh wait, I did over a decade ago, but too much non-suitable discography -- wish we could add worthy albums even if one of twenty without worrying about the full discography policy.   I suggested a category to cover this ages ago). And With Herbie Hancock, his albums from 1971 to 1975 made him a great addition to PA for me -- I love the Mwandishi trilogy albums especially (Crossings and Sextant in particular being two of my very favourite albums in PA). As for Corea, of course his Chick Corea Elektric Band is in PA and his Return to Forever albums. I don't know those Chick Corea albums at all well and don't know why those are not included (he is related at least, but that doesn't mean that he necessarily would be added to Related as we have a process and various criteria).

What is sometimes said is that its not enough to be Fusion, it has to fit a certain kind of Progressive Jazz-Rock/ Fusion idiom. That is one category where they had a vision/ a plan of what direction it should take, and steps to go.

Chick Corea has been suggested, by the way, and considered by the JRF team http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75468 They had a discography concern (yes, despite the discography issues with, say, Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock). At least one can find various of his albums in PA under other listings. They had a kind of system when it came to prioritising acts to be included as well.

Edited by Logan - October 01 2020 at 12:28
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 00:16

^ Oh yeah, it definitely has Zappa stylings. One-Armed Bandit is one of my favourite albums of the past decade.

Thanks, Awesoreno, I have no say in JRF, but I will check those out at some time. I love various Nu Jazz, by the way. St Germain is a favourite of mine for the album Tourist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX5-i7BCenw And thanks A Crimson Mellotron, will check that out anon. Right now I'm in a particular kind of lounge music mood. :lol:

As for Miles Davis, while he has a big discography, his 1969 to 1977 Electric Miles period (the five studio albums and various live albums, like four) is great and I fully supported that for PA. And I might argue that because Bitches Brew is here, Donald Byrd should be here based on Electric Byrd (Oh wait, I did over a decade ago, but too much non-suitable discography -- wish we could add worthy albums even if one of twenty without worrying about the full discography policy.   I suggested a category to cover this ages ago). And With Herbie Hancock, his albums from 1971 to 1975 made him a great addition to PA for me -- I love the Mwandishi trilogy albums especially (Crossings and Sextant in particular being two of my very favourite albums in PA). As for Corea, of course his Chick Corea Elektric Band is in PA and his Return to Forever albums. I don't know those Chick Corea albums at all well and don't know why those are not included (he is related at least, but that doesn't mean that he necessarily would be added to Related as we have a process and various criteria).

What is sometimes said is that its not enough to be Fusion, it has to fit a certain kind of Progressive Jazz-Rock/ Fusion idiom. That is one category where they had a vision/ a plan of what direction it should take, and steps to go.

Chick Corea has been suggested, by the way, and considered by the JRF team http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75468 They had a discography concern (yes, despite the discography issues with, say, Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock). At least one can find various of his albums in PA under other listings. They had a kind of system when it came to prioritising acts to be included as well.

While I understand that it's not enough just to be fusion, Corea's solo albums from 1975 to 1980 have legitimate prog elements throughout. I would go as far as to say they are proggier than Hancock and Davis's 70s output. I'd recommend The Leprechaun or The Mad Hatter to anyone interested, particularly fans or RTF. I also enjoy Elektric Band, but other than To the Stars (I'll ignore the Scientology of it all) and the odd track here and there on the previous albums, there isn't much prog there. Fusion yes, prog rock, not quite as much. 

I don't want to give off the impression that I'm mad, I just get confused by the rules when it seems there are many exceptions and/or double standards. 

In any case, thanks for being so candid with the inner workings of the site Logan.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2020 at 18:30
Reviving this thread because I was listening to the opening suite of Sylva recently (Sintra, Flight, Atchafalaya), and it's just that good.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2020 at 02:04
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Reviving this thread because I was listening to the opening suite of Sylva recently (Sintra, Flight, Atchafalaya), and it's just that good.

Isn't it?
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2020 at 07:54

Chick Corea isn't here under JRF? I would think he would be one of the founding fathers.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2020 at 07:56
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Chick Corea isn't here under JRF? I would think he would be one of the founding fathers.

There's RTF and Electrik Band. 
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2020 at 09:54
Right, but as I said before, one listen to his 1975-1980 solo albums and you'll hear the fusion. Even prog-fusion. But this isn't the thread for this.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2020 at 10:28
The thing to remember is once a band is rejected, the next time they are suggested, the relevant genre team is going to be double cautious in considering them.  Fair or not, that's how it works.  I see that Owane is on this website; I even reviewed his album here. I don't see how Owane is any more progressive than Snarky Puppy but at the time they were suggested, some collabs took a strong view along the lines of they have nothing to do whatsoever with prog.  And that was that. I say give it a rest.  It really doesn't matter. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12