Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Renaissance: Under No Illusion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renaissance: Under No Illusion
    Posted: October 02 2020 at 07:40
I'm under no Illusion that not many people outside of the progosphere will have heard of the band Illusion, but as any progaholic will know, they're closely-related to the band Renaissance. Illusion appeared Out of the Mist with their first stunning album in 1977 and a follow-up self-titled album in 1978. Their third ultra-rare Enchanted Caress album arrived in 1979, but wasn't released until 1990. Illusion's fourth and final album, Through the Fire, was released under the name Renaissance Illusion in 2001. Illusion featured a 6-piece line-up of Jane Relf (of the original Renaissance) on lead vocals, Jim McCarty on vocals & acoustic guitar, John Knightsbridge on electric guitar, John Hawken on keyboards,  Louis Cennamo on bass guitar and Eddie McNeil on drums & percussion.

My favourite song from Illusion's debut album.....

Face of Yesterday

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 02 2020 at 07:51
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 11:28
I'm one of a few who prefers Illusion over Renaissance..

"Face of Yesterday" was my favorite song of theirs until I found "Madonna Blue" shortly after... I'm constantly searching for more 70s female vocal prog.

Stairway had some decent stuff with Jane Relf.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 11:49
My favourite Jane Relf & Stairway song: Moonlight Skater Heart

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 13:52
Out of the Mist is a classic. I like the follow-up a lot, too.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 14:06
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Out of the Mist is a classic. I like the follow-up a lot, too.

This is the highlight for me from Illusion's second album.....

Wings Across the Sea

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 02:24
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

I'm one of a few who prefers Illusion over Renaissance..

"Face of Yesterday" was my favorite song of theirs until I found "Madonna Blue" shortly after... I'm constantly searching for more 70s female vocal prog.

Stairway had some decent stuff with Jane Relf.

To each his own of course, but if I really prefer the ex-Yardbirds Renaissance to the Dunford/Haslam/Tatcher Renaissance (which owes everyting to McCarty), I don't think Illusion (the band) is better than the Mk2 Renaissance.

Of course, Keith wasn't part of it (RIP), but Illusion was fairly disappointing (especially for those that were awaiting for the foolow up of Illusion (the Renaissance album) Of course those two Illusion (the band) albums  are more like a product of its time and are more commercial oriented (moreso than the Mk2 Rennaissance, IMHO)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 04:38
Kings & Queens: The opening song from the first Renaissance album, featuring a similar line-up to the later Illusion line-up, only without Keith Relf (1943-1976), who died tragically when he was electrocuted by his electric guitar shortly before he was due to begin recording the first Illusion album.  

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 22:20
Love those two late 1970s albums.  Renaissance Illusion is also very good but without much in the way of Jane - it's more like a Jim McCarty solo album really.  Speaking of which, his "Out of the Dark" is absolutely superb.

As Hugues implied, Renaissance MK II was able to maintain their fairly non commercial sound through most of the 1970s because they had enough of a following, at least until they didn't, while the 2 Illusion albums in the late 1970s were a bit more mainstream, but still great IMO.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 12:22
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Kings & Queens: The opening song from the first Renaissance album, featuring a similar line-up to the later Illusion line-up, only without Keith Relf (1943-1976), who died tragically when he was electrocuted by his electric guitar shortly before he was due to begin recording the first Illusion album.

Sick I never knew that. Awful. So sad. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 03:46

Sadly, that happened back in the days when an electric guitar used to be plugged directly into the mains power supply, but I doubt if it could happen now with modern electric guitars. Confused

This is my favourite song from the third Illusion album, Enchanted Caress...

The Man Who Loved the Trees

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 10 2020 at 03:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 05:51
Gone Fishing: a rare song from Jane Relf which was featured in an advert for Findus Fish Fingers! Smile

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 11:57
Both solid albums , but still like the original Renaissance lp's better.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 12:24

This material is way too commerical
Sadly, that happened back in the days when an electric guitar used to be plugged directly into the mains power supply, but I doubt if it could happen now with modern electric guitars. Confused

This is my favourite song from the third Illusion album, Enchanted Caress...

The Man Who Loved the Trees

This material is way too commerical. Even Jim McCarty who wrote the songs was not thrilled with them. What is really remarkable is the old Keith Relf demo included titled All The Fallen Angels.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 13:04
^ Jim McCarty made a really good comeback album in 2001 though with "Through the Fire", released under the name Renaissance Illusion. The opening track sounds like classic Renaissance from the early 1969-71 era.....

One More Turn of the Wheel

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 13:17

^ Jim McCarty made a really good comeback album in 2001 though with "Through the Fire", released under the name Renaissance Illusion. The opening track sounds like classic Renaissance from the early 1969-71 era.....

One More Turn of the Wheel

I know, see my review for the album under the album page for James McCarty. I believe l gave it 5 stars.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 13:26
Oops it's actually listed under Illusion. I guess the band calling themselves Renaissance/Illusion was confusing. Lol

Edited by SteveG - October 11 2020 at 13:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 14:02
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Oops it's actually listed under Illusion. I guess the band calling themselves Renaissance/Illusion was confusing. Lol

It's even more confusing if you include Michael Dunford's Renaissance too, who released two albums with Stephanie Adlington in the 1990's.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 14:07

It's even more confusing if you include Michael Dunford's Renaissance too, who released two albums with Stephanie Adlington in the 1990's.

Yeah, Annie Haslam was not amused with them.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 14:20
I haven't listened to that in a long time. I forgot how pedestrian Adington's voice sounds.

Edited by SteveG - October 11 2020 at 14:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 15:10

I haven't listened to that in a long time. I forgot how pedestrian Adington's voice sounds.
That's true. I'm afraid Stephanie Adlington is no match for Jane Relf or Annie Haslam, although I still went out and bought the album, just on the strength of it being a Renaissance album, but I made a big mistake when I bought the "Time-Lines" album in 1983. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 11 2020 at 15:10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>