Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite off-beat, strange films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favourite off-beat, strange films
    Posted: October 05 2020 at 13:41
There are so many weird and wonderful/ unusual/ surrealistic films out there that I love, but I'll start with just four: Zardoz (director John Boorman), Videodrome (director David Cronenberg), A Zed & Two Noughts (director Peter Greenaway) and Eraserhead (director David Lynch).

Here are the trailers:

Expect this to be a video heavy topic.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 14:01
^ Four of the weirdest films I've ever seen are David Lynch's "Eraserhead", David Cronenberg's "Videodrome", Stanley Kubrick's "Clockwork Orange" and Sean Connery in "Zardoz", although I wouldn't call them favourites of mine. Smile
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 14:09
Lots of good ones out there:

Time Bandits
 Pan's Labyrinth 
 The Gods Must Be Crazy
 12 Monkeys
 A Clockwork Orange
 A Boy & His Dog 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 14:12
^^ Especially when I was a teenager, a Clockwork and Brazil were my absolute favorited films. A couple other favourites of mine have been Delicatessen and City of Lost Children( Jeunet et Caro) and Juzo Itami’s Tampopo. And various Almodovar and Bigas Luna films.

^ love all of those. Good to see another admirer of A Boy and His Dog. And Time Bandits is one of those films I can watch again and again and again. I tried to get my kids into it unsuccessfully.   Pan’s Labyrinth is one of my favourite “modern” films, and another favourite modern film that certainly fits is Under the Skin.

Edited by Logan - October 05 2020 at 14:18
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 14:20
^ I keep trying to catch Time Bandits, I want me daughter to see it but I can find it anywhere. 
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 10:01
The little known work of the famous Soviet director Eldar Ryazanov, The Man From Nowhere, contained absurdist, surreal stuff. The dance of the protagonist directly refers to a Marx brother's movie, as far as I can see: 

Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 10:50
They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (Free on YouTube)
A Clockwork Orange
Sult (Free on YouTube)
A Woman Under the Influence (Free on YouTube)
Buffalo '66
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 10:58
A few quite modern ones that I adored and are quite strange are:

The Lobster 

The Bothersome Man

Under the Skin

The first two are sort of black comedies, and the third is more horror.

The Reflecting Skin and Baxter are older ones that come to mind.  There are so many.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 13:10
I would suggest several films of Alain Robbe-Grillet (who was also the script-writer for Alain Resnais' L'année dernière à Marienbad). He plays with narrative structures and cinematographic conventions (sometimes in a more radical way than did Godard...).

Found two films on YT:
Trans-Europ-Express (with English subtitles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSeyBNIOKmQ

L'Homme qui ment (no subtitles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QND3niQcKk

More of the absurd kind: Delicatessen, by Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Trailer:

Most films of the Dutch Alex van Warmerdam are quite unusual, surreal or have some magical realism over them, but I don't think they exported well...

But if you want a Czech burlesque musical western parody (for or against alcohol, that's the question...), then I warmly recommend Lemonade Joe, a Horse Opera by Oldrich Lipsky (1964). You will have a good laugh!

Edited by suitkees - October 25 2020 at 13:25

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 13:23
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 13:34
Orson Welles' first (and originally silent) film The Hearts of Age of 1934 might fit the criteria:

Edited by suitkees - October 25 2020 at 13:36

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 13:45
^ Delicatessan (and City of Lost Children) are favourites of mine (big fan of Jeunet and Caro).  I have seen Alain Resnais' L'année dernière à Marienbad and must have seen Alain Robbe-Grillet work.

For a modern one, High-Rise was good. Swiss Army Man was unusual.

A very strange film is the Japanese Funky Forest:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFVC_Ktge7Y

Edited by Logan - October 25 2020 at 13:52
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 13:50
Welles' film made me also think of Dali and Bunuel's classic L'age d'or... But undoubtedly less known and completely off-beat, but not less intriguing is Salvador Dali's Impressions de la Haute-Mongolie / Impressions from Upper Mongolia (English subtitles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJk-DzMvVzE

Edited by suitkees - October 25 2020 at 13:50

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 13:53
^ The City of Lost Children includes the most sadistic murder I've ever seen. 

---SPOILER ALERT---

Plugging your robotic eye cable into the person's socket, whom you're gonna strangle... And that person sees his own strangulation, as if he was strangling another person... At the same time, he is being strangled to death... This is literally the imagination of a twisted f**k!.. ShockedLOL

---SPOILER ALERT---

Edited by Shadowyzard - October 25 2020 at 14:21
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 14:06
I've seen many of those..some great weird ones there...I really liked Altered States...not all that weird compared to some but a good one.

Another one I liked but I like all of Lynch's films...

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 14:11
Hellbound: Hellraiser II is also a "freak of the horror cinema", and one of my favourites.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 15:36
Antother short film. Saw this one, I think back in 1990, at the Rotterdam Film Festival. I'm not sure how to qualify it... it's about hair, maybe: Alison MacLean - Kitchen Sink:

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 04:43
Not quite a full movie (about 30 minutes) more like a short.

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 05:06
Some of mine have already be named by Logan; here a few more of mine.

Alejandro Jodorowsky - El Topo (The Mole)

Alejandro Jodorowsky - La montaña sagrada (The Holy Mountain)

Jos Stelling - De Wisselwachter (The Pointsman) (could find no trailer for that one. The full movie is available on YouTube, but unfortunately only with annoying Russian overdubs).

Fernando Arrabal - Viva la muerte

Paul Verhoeven - De vierde man (The Fourth Man)

Edited by BaldFriede - October 26 2020 at 05:11

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 06:51
In no particular order:

Eraserhead
Videodrome
The 'burbs
Blue Velvet
Body Double
Vanilla Sky
ELP - Pictures at an Exhibition Wink
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>