Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rush Project Idea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Will you participate in TOP20 Rush Songs Project?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [46.67%]
8 [26.67%]
8 [26.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 10:54
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I am surprised at the relatively low interest in this project, given how many Rush fans we have on the site. It is okay to not like Rush, as it is okay to like them. We members are not the arbiters of taste but we do like to promote what we enjoy as we explore new musics and old favorites.

People are scared around here to like Rush...or neo-prog LOL
Good, that means I'm courageous. I love Rush and neo prog... I even love Duke. Wink
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 10:56
Duke is a great album.....
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 10:58
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Duke is a great album.....
That's the spirit!! 
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 11:01
Duke has been great for me since 1980.......
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 13:01
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

No, it’s not the kind of topic that would interest me even if It were about one of my favourites. I tend to prefer music topics about artists that don’t make an obvious sport of art (I.e. not about winners or losers, not a competition, but instead are more focused on sharing and discussing our favourites, learning about more music along the way, and coming to appreciate different perspectives).

I can see your point.
In the same time, I feel obliged to defend this format. Many times we see List or Polls that basically boil down to two-three word comments without much reasoning. To me, it's fine too. BUT. The ultimate goal is to incite discussion, because I believe progressive music - especially the big names - generate much passion, some of us listen to them and enjoy it for decades, so I'm sure there is much to be said about their best songs. Knowing what other people like is interesting in itself, but the oldest question in the world - Why? - is what I'm getting at.

The point format was took straight from NBA basketball forum, realgm.com, which specializes in detailed, knowledgeable dissection of the game and its intricacies. Participants of similar projects, i.e. "Best Player of the Year", "Best Defensive Seasons Ever" etc. not only name their picks, but also politely argue why is that the case. I can give you one example of such thread. I must say that, back in the day, I've learnt a lot even about the players/teams I was familiar with.

Hopefully the same will be true with this project. Perhaps other people's picks - and reasoning - will make us appreciate some albums much more than before? Maybe we will find new tastes and quirks to the stuff we already know? Or, even, try the underappreciated records for the first time?

In case of Genesis Project, I listened to Duke for the first time in years, and warmed to it. Also I spent much more time with W&W and ATTW3 than usual, so that's a bonus... aaand I had to check out some songs from Genesis Archives for the first time ever (thanks Cristi LOL)

Great post, and you may have convinced me to take part.
Adaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 21:51
I'm interested.  Rush is one of my absolute favorite bands.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 22:08
Oh yes count me IN!!!!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 03:03
Participants update:

1. Argo2112
2. Gentle and Giant
3. Catcher10
4. Progosopher
5. tempest_77
6. richardh
7. FatherChristmas
8. Earl of Mar
9. Adaon
10. geekfreak

If you voted YES but your name is missing from the list, please let us know Cool

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Great post, and you may have convinced me to take part.
No pressure Smile But I'll be very glad if you participate.

TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 04:27
Okay so we still have 13 "declared" voters + some on/off contributors. I guess it will suffice. Gonna make a new thread in TOP 10s and Lists for that - here's the link.

Edited by thief - October 19 2020 at 04:54
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12