Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kansas - All Just Dust In The Wind (5 Cd) Live

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kansas - All Just Dust In The Wind (5 Cd) Live
    Posted: October 15 2020 at 05:43
If anybody has heard this 5 CD set can you tell me what the sound quality is like ? I'm really interested in buying it ( I hear there's only 1000 copies being made so its going to be a rare valuable item as a Kansas fan I feel I should have) what I know so far its from Radio recordings. Great cover art I must say. 
Kansas-All-Just-Dust-In-The-Wind-5-Cd-CD-NEW

Edited by Enchant X - October 15 2020 at 16:14
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 06:52
It has 4.5 stars on Amazon UK and the only comment about sound quality is "good sound quality"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 07:14
I found this one opinion on the Kansas OAC 5 cd set by a member of the Steve Hoffman Forums:

"1. I own both the original US CDs and the remasters that the OAC set uses. The remasters are a little too bright and compressed for my tastes, while the originals sound more natural.

2. Sadly, the box doesn't have a booklet. The box set has the CDs stored in mini vinyl sleeves. All 5 discs the same design that's colored differently depending on the album."

As that website is jam packed with anal retentive pseudo audiophiles, I take that statement to mean the CDs remastering process used the most recent set of Sony remasters and sounds good, not optimum, but good. That's taking into account that you're not an anal retentive pseudo audiophile too. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 08:00
At first looking at the CD package "bootleg" is what came to my mind, I have never seen this before nor heard of Coda Records.....Its not listed in the Kansas page on Discogs but here is the entry for it. There is one comment about the 5CD set and he mentions yes it is a bootleg. There is also a LP version of it and that screams bootleg to me. There are no CD sets for sale, so could be Discogs has banned it from sale, they do that a lot on unofficial releases.

That's too bad you feel that way about people who enjoy high quality audio Steve, I agree there are extremist just like many, upon many people on this site. And you being in the music industry recording bands live and I am sure (would hope) that you focused on the highest quality sound capture/reproduction you could get, and at times were very anal about it.
I guess you can't judge a book by its cover.....Unhappy

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 08:07
Ha ha, I didn't say all of the members Jose, just many. And to be an audiophile Jose, you must have audiophile grade equipment. The members who are the most critical seldom do. I thought that you would know that but like you said, you can't judge a book..

But thanks for getting the discogs info. That was more than I found on the SHMF.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 08:26
Steve Hoffman has a rule, its actually in the forum rules, that to comment on sound quality or make comments about gear you need to post in your profile your gear setup. This allows other members to look up your system and then gauge whether what someone is saying is relative, in almost all cases people do state ..."On my system it sounds like this...." 
Because yes you are right to hear more detail you need better gear than not, but there is no making fun of a member who has an entry level system, you spend your money as you wish...Some people have $300 speakers and some have $3,000 speakers (or more). It's a hobby and some take it very serious, basically if you can walk the walk and talk the talk better have the gear to back it up, like any other hobby that can be very spendy.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 08:35
I guess that Discogs is another book that you can't judge. That's disconcerting. Anyway, from Sony BMG. The real thing it was probably copied from.

Edited by SteveG - October 15 2020 at 08:51
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 08:59

If it's not a "grey market repo" of the OAC Sony 5 CD set, than you're taking chances without more info from the manufacturer. But these are so difficult to get . Why do you feel that they are live performances as opposed to studio tracks? If that's the case then they are most likely "off air" recordings of radio concerts. And those are always a crap shoot.

Edited by SteveG - October 15 2020 at 09:08
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 10:05
The 5CD set is not studio songs redone or reissued, its all live songs from '76-'82......I don't believe has anything to do with the Sony 5CD full studio album sets. The Discogs link shows all the track listings and which venue they are from.
I suspect the sound quality is fine, as reviewers state, but in the bootleg world "fine" could be pretty bad if you are thinking an official live release, say like "Two For the Show". Again, Discogs has no price for the CD set and targeting only 1,000 copies means nothing in the bootleg world.......I would not pay more than US20.00 for that CD set. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 10:18
^ That might be the first thing we've agree with in ages. I wish you not take these things so personally Jose, as it's getting tiresome. I'm a longtime member of SHMF too, and I know the deal there. I'll say it in a way that's clearer to you. The members who are most critical of sound in remasters, in that they criticize slight compression levels or brightness while totally ignoring the fact that said disc has been over done with NR or bombarded with wonky EQing levels, almost always have playback sustems that are marginal, imo. The one's who are less critical, like you, actually have very good to excellent components, and those people I was not criticizing. Not matter how many words someone writes, if a criticism is taken personally, then the meaning is lost.

Edited by SteveG - October 15 2020 at 12:37
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 12:24
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

At first looking at the CD package "bootleg" is what came to my mind, I have never seen this before nor heard of Coda Records.....Its not listed in the Kansas page on Discogs but here is the entry for it. There is one comment about the 5CD set and he mentions yes it is a bootleg. There is also a LP version of it and that screams bootleg to me. There are no CD sets for sale, so could be Discogs has banned it from sale, they do that a lot on unofficial releases.

Coda Records is indeed a prolific bootleg label. The LP uses the first eight songs (or CD1) of the 1977 Palladium, NY broadcast.

https://www.discogs.com/Kansas-All-Just-Dust-In-The-Wind-The-Legendary-Broadcast/release/15111049

The 5CD has the audio of the 1982 Omaha Civic Auditorium concert on one disc. As you know, that was an official video release. Same exact program, sixteen songs from "Paradox" to "Portrait (He Knew)"!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 12:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ That might be the first thing we've agree with in ages. I wish you not take these things so personally Jose, as it's getting tiresome. I'm a longtime member of SHMF too, and I know the deal there. I'll say it in a way that's clearer to you. The members who are most critical of sound in remasters, in that they criticize slight compression levels or brightness while totally ignoring the fact that said disc has been over done with NR or bombarded with wonky EQing levels, almost always have playback sustems that are marginal, imo. The one's who are less critical, like you, actually have very good to excellent components, and those people I was not criticizing. Not matter how many words someone writes, if a criticism is taken personally, then the meaning is lost.
Your missing the point, has nothing to do with me being sensitive or taking it personally. You are making a statement about people on another site which is rather chicken sh*t on your part, go there and make that post Steve. 
PA in general has little to nothing to do with sound quality of a release or audio gear, this site is about music, artists and their creation of music, so when you make a statement that most here are not in tune with it sets a negative view of those that do care about sound quality and how to achieve it.

If its getting tiresome maybe you should take a break from the site, you being tired of it is self inflicting. You can't blame that on members here.

And I am done with this thread......I don't want this one locked also.

Edited by Catcher10 - October 15 2020 at 13:01
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 14:03
Ok, you were right about not taking it personally and I apologise. Please understand something Jose, when I get into a row with you, it hurts. It's not the same as if I'm arguing with other members here. So again, l apologise. But what made you think that I would not or did not say the same in SHMF. You know me better than that. ;)

Edited by SteveG - October 15 2020 at 14:06
The Stygian Heresy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Stygian Heresy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 15:45
The cover art is the same used on a Youtube video of a claimed 2-cd 'rarities' set, no songs of which are rare, and all avialable on various Kansas albums.  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 16:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Ok, you were right about not taking it personally and I apologise. Please understand something Jose, when I get into a row with you, it hurts. It's not the same as if I'm arguing with other members here. So again, l apologise. But what made you think that I would not or did not say the same in SHMF. You know me better than that. ;)
Thumbs Up
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 03:48
I've gone ahead and ordered it so will let you know in due course Smile
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 04:33
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

yes please do let us know how they sound and what's it all about, and thanks Tongue

Edited by Enchant X - October 18 2020 at 10:51
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 16:14
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

yes please do let us know how they sound and what's it all about, and thanks Tongue

sadly my order was cancelled by the supplier

this is the message I got:

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately we were not able to dispatch your order because the last item in stock was found to be defective.

Furthermore this item is currently not available at any of our suppliers therefore we are not able to proceed with your order.

Since we would not like to keep you waiting or give the wrong impression of withholding your money unjustifiably, we cancelled your order and refunded the costs of purchase.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by this incident.

We would still be pleased to welcome you as one of our customers again soon.

Kind regards,
I think I will steer clear of this now , seems a little bit fishy Confused

Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2020 at 05:30

Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

sadly my order was cancelled by the supplier

this is the message I got:

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately we were not able to dispatch your order because the last item in stock was found to be defective.

Furthermore this item is currently not available at any of our suppliers therefore we are not able to proceed with your order.

Since we would not like to keep you waiting or give the wrong impression of withholding your money unjustifiably, we cancelled your order and refunded the costs of purchase.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by this incident.

We would still be pleased to welcome you as one of our customers again soon.

Kind regards,
I think I will steer clear of this now , seems a little bit fishy Confused

what a shame I suppose now we will never find out about it , It does sound a little bit fishy I agree ...never mind. I did notice a few on ebay but they want something ridiculous like $63 dollars postage, its just not worth the gamble, since are odds on half this disk collection is of the omaha concert in 1982 I already have that, I'm more interested in the 1976 and around then material that I might not have heard already. That might be rare. Smile 

Edited by Enchant X - October 20 2020 at 06:29
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2020 at 08:52
All Bootleg Recordings

Audio from offical Kansas Video (VHS only release) and Audio from a non legit concert film (can be found on YT) filmed unkown to the band.

The rest are Radio broadcasts.

The Audio from the non legit concert film recorded has the only Kansas Performance of two tracks from Walshs and Livgrens first solo Albums (You think you got it made/Mask of the great Deceiver) 

All those recordings are easy to find on other non legit CD Releases circiling around (everywhere)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>