Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amon Düül in German?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exoticprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amon Düül in German?
    Posted: October 18 2020 at 23:54
Hi, I would like to know which Amon Düül songs or epics are sung in German. I know they have mostly sung in English but if there is anything they sung in German, please let me know. Thanks.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 02:02
Deutsch Nepal - album Wolf City (1972)
though not really singing

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 05:18
By Amon Düül II: "Dem Guten, Schönen, Wahren" and "Henriette Krötenschwanz" from "Phallus Dei", "C.I.D. in Uruk" from "Carnival in Babylon", "Deutsch Nepal" from "Wolf City", "Du kommst ins Heim" from "Düülirium" and "Die sieben fetten Jahr'" and "Das Gestern ist das Heute von morgen" on "Vortex" (as well as the bonus track "(Ras)putin in der Badewanne" on the reissue of the album). There are some spoken German words in "Restless Skylight Transistor Child" from "Tanz der Lemminge" and "Ludwig" and "5.5.55" from "Made in Germany" too (in "5.5.55" the German words are spoken by Adolf Hitler). "Wilhelm Wilhelm" from their album "Made in Germany" is sung in English, but there are some German, French and Italian words in the lyrics and some spoken German words by Renate Knaup (in Berlin dialect).

By Amon Düül (UK): "Hauptmotor" from their album "Fool Moon" ("sung" with horrible accent by Robert Calvert of Hawkwind). Some spoken German words in "Meditative Music from the Third O before the Producers" (which is otherwise an instrumental) from "Hawk Meets Penguin".

On a side note: The German lyrics of "Dem Guten, Schönen, Wahren" depict Jesus as a child molester with lines like "Die Kleinste fing an, nach der Mutter zu schreien. Ich durchbohrte sie sanft mit meinem Glied" ("The smallest started crying for her mother. I softly speared her with my member"). Perhaps the most daring lyrics ever.

Edited by BaldFriede - October 19 2020 at 05:19

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Adaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 05:31
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Perhaps the most daring lyrics ever.

They certainly haven't hesitated to express their views on dark subjects pertinent to humankind's history.  Soap Shop Rock comes to mind in that regard as well.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 18:29
Hi,

I was thinking of the opening of "Apocaliptyc Bore" with its German introduction ... and if folks don't think that AD2 was strong, it was better than strong ... and the lyrics in "Mozambique" are amazing, considering the history of the rape of Africa and all the problems that it has left for the 20th and 21st century. 

Oh, btw ... Mozambique got its "independence" a few months after the "Mozambique" was done ... quite an achievement ... a symbolic hymn wanting freedom, and it coming alive, but leaving blood and pain strewn all over the field before it left! (Same thing in Angola!). You can't really get more political than that ... and although this stuff is valuable to me as a person, the one thing I missed from the band were the improvisations which I still think they said goodbye to in "Apocaliptyc Bore" ... meaning that it was no longer meaningful and times had changed ... I believe the ladies had a different interpretation which I did not understand as well.

Edited by moshkito - October 21 2020 at 18:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 02:08
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I was thinking of the opening of "Apocaliptyc Bore" with its German introduction ... and if folks don't think that AD2 was strong, it was better than strong ... and the lyrics in "Mozambique" are amazing, considering the history of the rape of Africa and all the problems that it has left for the 20th and 21st century. 

Oh, btw ... Mozambique got its "independence" a few months after the "Mozambique" was done ... quite an achievement ... a symbolic hymn wanting freedom, and it coming alive, but leaving blood and pain strewn all over the field before it left! (Same thing in Angola!). You can't really get more political than that ... and although this stuff is valuable to me as a person, the one thing I missed from the band were the improvisations which I still think they said goodbye to in "Apocaliptyc Bore" ... meaning that it was no longer meaningful and times had changed ... I believe the ladies had a different interpretation which I did not understand as well.

I forgot about that opening. It is a quote of a saying by Karl Kraus, an Austrian journalist, writer and satirist in the early 20th century. "Wenn die Sonne der Kultur niedrig steht werfen selbst Zwerge lange Schatten" ("When the sun of culture is low even dwarfs cast long shadows").

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
exoticprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exoticprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 08:47
Thanks everyone, if anyone else can find anything other than what has been mentioned here already, I would greatly appreciate it.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 09:47
Hi,

I've often wondered why AD2 did some things in German and the rest of the time in English ... and I can't even come up with an idea as to why, and how.

The ladies translating some things really help, but at times, also confuse, just as much as the workout in the music itself ... and I suppose that this was one of the reasons why I missed the improvisations, that flowed so well, and did not need lyrics ... even if the title or idea was not important in the first place ... the experience was!

In my view, the changes in VIVE LA TRANCE were scary and important, and after that, it was not the same, even if they did some great things, and one album, which for me is great, HIJACK has a lot of sad things in it, that kinda hide the band and their work some. And I think it was something related to the media and the times ... Archie had already stolen their audience! (Not to mention that The Firesign Theater had already done a piece on that! The first time I actually thought that AD2 was not being original ... but they translated it well to their style)
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply