Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Amorphous Androgynous & Peter Hammill -- new album
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amorphous Androgynous & Peter Hammill -- new album

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucka001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amorphous Androgynous & Peter Hammill -- new album
    Posted: October 31 2020 at 12:00
"We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal"

New Psych/Prog album by Amorphous Androgynous (aka Future Sound of London) and Peter Hammill
Also features Paul Weller (The Jam; Style Council)

Release Date: November 20, 2020

jc
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 12:17
The Amorphous Androgynous & Peter Hammill... sounds like an interesting combination. I have "The Amorphous Androgynous - A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble (Exploding In Your Mind): The Wizards of Oz", an interesting compilation album of Australian psychedelic rock.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - October 31 2020 at 12:19
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 12:44
Never heard of Amorphous Androgynous but everything that has Peter Hammill on board is worthy of listen! And this cover art is just spectacular!
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucka001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2020 at 16:14
I don't know if this link will work, but it's a promo vid for the AA/Hammill Record Store Day album, and it gives a good vibe for what to expect from the project. Vid is awesome, very trippy...

Edited by bucka001 - November 03 2020 at 16:15
jc
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucka001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 15:23

And here's the description from Burning Shed... 
Opening with the 13 minute epic space prog rock of title track We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal (written with Peter Hammill and Paul Weller) the themes of mortality and immortality are then musically and conceptually catapulted to the far flung corners of the AA sonic multiverse over 40+ minutes utilizing choir, moog, a live orchestral string section, harp and vintage synth all fed against a backdrop of classic rock and psych samplerdelia of the Amorphous Androgynous. Space Odyssey like dystopian choirs and moog of Hymortality crash full force into the Led Zep Bonham-like drums of the Immortality Break while Synthony On A Theme of Mortality lives up to its name as an almost Vangelis‘ Bladerunner-esque vintage synthony of some of the themes of the original track utilizing the classic 70s Yamaha CS80 synth before triumphantly soaring to lift off adrift a Pink Floyd-like female wailing aria against classic vintage guitar rock. Psych Recap is all backwards voices and guitars over pounding Tomorrow Never Knows-era Beatles bass and drums with dislocated Peter Hammill psychedelic vocals before the whole cosmic trip cascades finally into the harp daydream reverie and minimoog space landings, choir and french romantic strings of Physically I’m Here, Mentally Far, Far Away.
jc
Szwagier View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Szwagier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 10:14
It's excellent, though more of an EP than an album. Similar to the concept of FSOL releases such as Cascade and Lifeforms, although the Amorphous Androgynous soundworld is very different from FSOL. 
I like it very much, and Hammill is instantly recognisable.Clap

Edited by Szwagier - November 23 2020 at 10:18
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 12:31
Will put on my list to listen to. Love the cover. Poor guy has a tentacle up his nose.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Szwagier View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Szwagier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 14:10
You can hear a couple of parts of the piece on this link. Hammill's main contribution is in part 1, but his voice pops up all through it.

Edited by Szwagier - November 23 2020 at 14:11
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucka001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2020 at 05:43

While waiting for reviews to start appearing (i.e. Mojo, Prog, Uncut, etc), here's a telltale tweet from Jerry Ewing (the main man at Prog magazine) relating to the new album.

jc
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2020 at 06:18
Hi Chris,

the AA's (wow, that is not a cool acronym ) bandcamp features two tracks for listen, but I don't hear much Peter Hammill in there

But I suspect that their other releases are up for discovery.

Edited by Sean Trane - December 26 2020 at 06:18
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 12:24
Hi,

Guy Guden played a whole bunch last night from this album in his show and this is fantastic ... and I might even say that it is the best I have heard PH in quite sometime, and maybe ... just maybe ... a feeling that was in his music some 30 to 40 years ago!

Excellent stuff ... highly recommended and hopefully it will sell really well ... because it is good!

EDIT: //01/01/2021

Can't get this album yet ... even Amazon doesn't have it yet! I'm guessing they are holding out to ship it on their own, but in the meantime this is hurting the excitement of folks listening to it, although I think that this album is strong enough to withstand that ... but it is important and valuable to make sure these things are available ... not hidden ... I really dislike how we hurt the music ... the website should at least show mp3's and sell them to be able to lift a finger to the distributional process otherwise!

PH, and FSOL ... please do something about this!

Edited by moshkito - January 01 2021 at 11:06
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucka001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 10:17
New article pointing out that they've worked with Robert Fripp, Peter Hammill, Klaus Shulze and Ozric Tentacles yet still fly under the Prog radar... Amorphous Androgynous

jc
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 08:26
Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

New article pointing out that they've worked with Robert Fripp, Peter Hammill, Klaus Shulze and Ozric Tentacles yet still fly under the Prog radar... Amorphous Androgynous

Hi,

I wonder if the listenership HERE, thinks of this stuff as "old", and don't bother with it ... too washy (with keyboards!) and not enough metal'istic touches for the ears in 2020/2021. 

It's the toughest part of seeing/hearing a lot of comments on new materials, and IN GENERAL, all the threads that mention new things ... are almost COMPLETELY LEFT ALONE ... including Damo's, which is the most insane listing of all ... there used to be one on Italian music, and the one here is not the same one that used to be in other places many years ago, and this one, is not on "par" with the modern stuff ... I didn't even find anyone talking about TRANSIBERIANA (Banco's album ... I may have misspelled it) ... and to me, that is the FEELING that folks have not heard it, and it is not on their "listening" horizon.

I have such a long list of listening, that I doubt I can even hear them all before my dust particles are fed to the fish! But the scary part is ... saying something in 3 words or less and that was it ... you know what that feels like? The old days in radio with folks "needling" the albums (dropping the needle for 5 seconds, and then check out the next song the same way) and then saying ... not as good as _________ ... 

I will review this as soon as I can get it ... right now, and I was looking for the mp3 part and could not tell what was the whole album or the parts of the album, so I gave up ... it just seemed confusing for me and I did not see an "complete album" offer ... but then, my sight is not very good these days!

I would like to see PA address this ... and, for example, for a band to be "included", a SERIOUS review would be REQUIRED along with a couple others from folks that were not related. This way, you would not "accept" five "wordings" by a couple of fans instead of a review, and help the site be a bit more "responsive" to serious music, instead of just some efforts from one's bedrooms. Not that these can't "make it" but if they are worthy of attention, more than one person will vouch for it, right?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 08:39
I am a bit confused. Have people not been able to buy this since it was released last year?

OK, ignore this post. I see the above has been mentioned already. Just a bit confusing the way it reads that some people seem unable to find the album.

Edited by nick_h_nz - February 09 2021 at 08:45
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 13:25
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I am a bit confused. Have people not been able to buy this since it was released last year?

OK, ignore this post. I see the above has been mentioned already. Just a bit confusing the way it reads that some people seem unable to find the album.

Hi,

The website lists it in POUNDS ... and if I try to purchase that here in the USA, my credit card gets locked out immediately ... why? ... the majority of fraudulent transactions are in the POUND currency, not even the Euros, according to my bank!

I can't argue with them. When it becomes available in America I will get it ... and the Amazon effort scares me since it doesn't list anything, and I am not sure it is complete or will all the songs. This has happened before in American releases of English music, btw, and it goes back to the Beatles, even.

My estimation is that Guy Guden got a promo copy since he has been playing FSOL and PH/VdGG for 40 years and 46 years respectively, and they are both aware of Guy's show ... which has even had some outstanding promos by many of the musicians ... 

www.pedrosena.com
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 13:37
Maybe you should change your bank/credit card provider. Most people in the US have no problem ordering from the UK. 🙄

bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucka001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 07:53
Review in the new issue of Prog magazine

jc
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 05:06
Not really impressed to be honest. Way too much Saxophone for my liking and just dies a bit after a promising start. Probably a 3 star album at best.
 Post Reply Post Reply