Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Symphonic prog bands with orchestra?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Symphonic prog bands with orchestra?
    Posted: November 01 2020 at 08:57
Symphonic prog is the most popular sub genre and Wikipedia suggests the following definition of "symphony": A symphony is an extended musical composition in Western classical music, most often written by composers for orchestra.

Has anyone written prog rock for orchestra? I have heard some compositions that some would perhaps slide into a prog genre, but is there anything that is prog rock?

I am not talking about bands that has played live with an orchestra, recorded existing material with an orchestra or an orchestra playing prog rock that is created without an orchestra.

Also interested in bands that integrate orchestral elements in their music.

Edited by Zeph - November 01 2020 at 08:58
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 10:00
Franz Liszt
Alberto Ginastera
Igor Stravinsky

Although to be certain...I'm not really sure what your question is?
You need to distinguish 'written FOR orchestra' and 'written WITH orchestra'. That is: written exclusively for an orchestra only but being a prog song (though I'm  not sure what that means to you) vs orchestral parts written for an orchestra within the context of a prog song
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 10:11
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Franz Liszt
Alberto Ginastera
Igor Stravinsky

You need to distinguish 'written FOR orchestra' and 'written WITH orchestra'. That is: written exclusively for an orchestra only but being a prog song (though I'm  not sure what that means to you) vs orchestral parts written for an orchestra within the context of a prog song
What is the difference between "for" and "with"? It can be written entirely for an orchestra, or a combination of orchestra and other instruments more commonly found in rock (drums, bass, guitar, keys etc.).

"Prog" is difficult to define, but music that is written like a typical symponic prog song, somewhat following particulars of symphonic prog. Concerts where they write existing material (like Yes' Symphonic Live) in a new version that includes an orchestra is an example of the type of song. I am however not looking for Yes, KC, PF etc. versions of songs with an orchestra. I am looking for music that is written for orchestra (or a combination of orchestra and standard instruments), while still being prog rock.

Edited by Zeph - November 01 2020 at 10:12
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 10:21
Well, Deep Purple released Concerto for Group and Orchestra with the Royal Philharmonic (1969), which was written by Jon Lord specifically for the combo. But for my money, I would suggest that Procol Harum Live: In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra, which was not written for a symphony, is far more moving and deep. Nothing comes close to the power of this collaboration:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 10:27
Solaris
PROGMATIC
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 11:17
Jethro Tull had a small string section for a while, when David Palmer arranged and conducted the orchestral parts, before he was a full second keyboardist.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 11:21
I would think the Enid would be one of the most obvious examples of a band that composed and played music that sounds like an orchestra but I'm not sure if they ever actually played with one. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 11:23
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I would think the Enid would be one of the most obvious examples of a band that composed and played music that sounds like an orchestra but I'm not sure if they ever actually played with one. 

This one springs to mind but it is existing material.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 12:15
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Franz Liszt
Alberto Ginastera
Igor Stravinsky

What is the difference between "for" and "with"? It can be written entirely for an orchestra, or a combination of orchestra and other instruments more commonly found in rock (drums, bass, guitar, keys etc.).

"Prog" is difficult to define, but music that is written like a typical symponic prog song, somewhat following particulars of symphonic prog. Concerts where they write existing material (like Yes' Symphonic Live) in a new version that includes an orchestra is an example of the type of song. I am however not looking for Yes, KC, PF etc. versions of songs with an orchestra. I am looking for music that is written for orchestra (or a combination of orchestra and standard instruments), while still being prog rock.
Maybe the Nice (Five Bridges Suite) or Keith Emerson's (Inferno) Sound Track?

Edited by JD - November 01 2020 at 12:17
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 12:32
Chris Squire's Fish Out Of Water album heavily integrates the orchestra into the compositions.

There are of course a lot of works for orchestras/wind ensembles that sound similar to prog rock; but I would attribute that to common influences rather than a composer specifically trying to write prog rock; then again, I wouldn't be surprised if many modern composers grew up listening to prog.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 13:48
ELO?
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 14:12
You could try the Blue Jays album with Justin Hayward & John Lodge, or either of Ray Thomas' two solo albums. Thumbs Up
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 14:44
I am not sure I understand the question.  There are a lot of prog bands that would fit well to a symphonic orchestra (or their songs might as well have been written for an orchestra).  Since they are bands or artists I am not sure if they specifically set out to have a full orchestra in mind when they write their compositions, but it would transfer well.  Many use bits and pieces of orchestral instruments on and off all the time.

If you want to listen to a true orchestra sound then could just start with these in addition to previously mentioned ones.

* Mike Oldfield's The Orchestral Tubular Bells with the London Symphony Orchestra.
* Caravan & The New Symphonia
* The Taliesin Orchestra - Doing Enya - The Orinoco Flow (New Age)
* The Moody Blues - A Night at Bedrocks
* The Moody Blues - Live At The Royal Albert Hall With The World Festival Orchestra
* Symphonic Yes

Pick almost any prog band and turn it to orchestra.  But for me the best example will always be Orchestral Tubular Bells.

Isilidur's Bane especially Mind Vol.1 whenever I listen to it I keep thinking that an orchestra should play it.

Edited by Spaciousmind - November 01 2020 at 14:45
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 15:19
PS... The question reminds me of James Last and his Orchestra who was very popular in Germany.  He put anything and everything Pop and Rock and Disco to Orchestra in the 70s.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 15:22
How about some Põhja Konn?
Check out the song Avamäng 2020
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 20:05
Zappa Zappa Zappa. Though his stuff is more in the vein of Contemporary composers like Schoenberg, Stravinksy, Varèse, etc.

He has pieces that sound like they were composed with orchestra in mind, but were played by a rock group. I think this is really clear on live versions of Dog Breath/Uncle Meat from 73 and 74. Some of those pieces ended up being arranged for orchestra, while others were originally WRITTEN for orchestra, like Bob in Dacron or Mo 'n' Herb's Vacation. Check out his London Symphony Orchestra volumes or The Yellow Shark for examples of both (not for the faint of heart).
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 21:11
Camel Snow Goose

PROGMATIC
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 01:16
Salisbury
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 02:55
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I would say the The Enid are probably the most orchestrally symphonic of any prog band.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 04:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>