Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Ken Hensley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbzr48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Ken Hensley
    Posted: November 05 2020 at 07:46

Uriah Heep's keyboardist Ken Hensley dies aged 75 after short illness R.I.P.Cry

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 07:47
Yes, another sad loss in 2020. RIP Ken.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 07:48
Aside from playing keys, he also wrote a lot of UH's music.

Edited by SteveG - November 05 2020 at 07:49
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 07:49
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 07:57
shocking news Cry
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 08:13
Rip Ken a rock legend and a friend of Norway, he played 100s of concerts here and almost become a regular.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 08:17
Damn, we're loosing all the keyboard greats ! Keith, Jon and now Ken. Cry
I hope Rick is doing ok, other than his obvious distended abdomen.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 08:43
Loved Ken's bone-crushing Hammond....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 08:48
I'm so sorry to hear the sad news of losing another one of the Demons & Wizards of keyboard prog.. By pure coincidence, I've been listening to and rating all of Uriah Heep's albums over the last three days, and in my opinion, Uriah Heep were never as good after Ken Hensley left the band in 1980.  Broken Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 05 2020 at 08:50
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 09:01
One of the most dynamic players of the rock organ, one of the standardbearers of that phat sound. Its Jon Lord, Rod Argent, Graham Bond, Vincent Crane, Matthew Fisher and Ken Hensley. One whomnyou sought after in your search for that sound, the particularity of hammond sound, the raw power and edge.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 11:21
Cry A true wizard, 'eavy and 'umble. He has now found his sweet freedom.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 11:37
From Ken's website:

"It is with great sadness that we announce that Ken Hensley, former Uriah Heep vocalist songwriter and multi-instrumentalist passed away peacefully on 4th November following a very short illness.

Ken was one of the most important musicians of the past half-a-century. His work with Uriah Heep in the 1970s helped to make the band hugely influential. He also collaborated with bands such as Blackfoot, W.A.S.P. and Cinderella, as well as building a very successful solo career. As a writer he was responsible for such classics as 'Lady In Black', 'Easy Livin'', “July Morning” and 'Look At Yourself'.

A very spiritual person, Ken became an inspiration to many and known for encouraging talented artists.

"I am in deep shock at the news Ken Hensley has passed away, and my sincere condolences go to his family and wife Monica. Ken wrote some amazing songs in his tenure with the band, and they will remain a musical legacy that will be in people’s hearts forever. RIP Ken" Mick Box – Uriah Heep

Ken had recently finished work on a new project My Book of Answers which is due for release end of February 2021.

He leaves behind a wife Monica and 2 brothers Trevor, Mark and sister Dawn and his close friend and manager Steve Weltman.

We wish to express our deepest sympathies to Ken's family, friends and many associates from his musical career at this time. The family ask fans for some space and time to come to terms with the tragic and unexpected loss."

For me, personally, it's one of the biggest losses in the whole rock'n'roll history and in my life - it would go another way if one day a friend of mine hadn't give me a Uriah Heep album.
There are famous bands, bands who are founders of the genres (sub-genres) and bands, who created their own worlds. Uriah Heep, due to Mr Hensley, were the band, who created their own Wonderworld, for all of us. Ken will be missed till the end of my time.

I'm not a fan of religious music, but this Ken's song is so strong and sincere:

Rest in peace, dear Magician. Cry
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 11:48
Past members of Uriah Heep who are no longer with us, but will live on forever in our memories and in our hearts. Broken Heart

Trevor Bolder (1950-2013)
David Byron (1947-1985)
Ken Hensley (1945-2020)
Lee Kerslake (1947-2020)
Gary Thain (1948-1975)
John Wetton (1949-2017)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 05 2020 at 12:40
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 12:06
^ They are with us actually - in our hearts, in our minds, in our souls.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 12:41
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ They are with us actually - in our hearts, in our minds, in our souls.

You're right! Heart
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 13:45
In 2015 a one-evening reuinion of UH with Ken Hensley and Lee Kerslake took place in Moscow.
Not of the best quality (but not the worst either) video exists.

Edited by NotAProghead - November 05 2020 at 13:46
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 13:50
RIP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 23:40
Damn 2020!!  RIP, Ken....you are a wizard. 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 01:49
Very sad news. Salisbury by Uriah Heep was a wonderful album and really showed off his instrumental and compositional talents. RIP Ken.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 09:10
One of the greatest hard rock composers, keyboardist, singer and guitarist. A true genious. May he rest in peace.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>