Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beat-Club Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beat-Club Appreciation
    Posted: November 06 2020 at 09:11
If you do not know what 'Beat-Club' is (which is unlikely, if you are on PA Big smile), it was a German 'pop music' program that broadcast from Bremen between 1965 and 1972. I think at this point the show has a mythological value to it, and has an official Youtube channel where many clips from it are published and I highly recommend checking them out if you have not seen these yet

Just to solidify my statement, I will mention some of the acts that were featured:
Black Sabbath
Captain Beefheart
Chicago
Cream
Alice Cooper
Deep Purple
Bowie
The Doors
ELP
Fleetwood Mac
Jethro Tull
Kraftwerk
Van der Graaf Generator
Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Yes
King Crimson
Frank Zappa
The Moody Blues
The Rolling Stones
The Who
Popol Vuh
Steppenwolf

I am curious if anyone here has memories watching Beat-Club. And how legendary do you consider it now? I think we are in desperate need for a program like that.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 10:44
Wee bit too early for me to remember watching “live”, and my parents were not interested.

There are, though, some great videos on YouTube.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 11:02
Beat Club doesn't ring a bell but I saw many artists on Rockpalast when passing through Germany.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 11:41
Not in the day. Unless it was Liberace, Victor Borge, or Doctor in the House (On TVOntario) my folks didn't have it on. It wasn't until about 1972-3 that I got my own TV (13" B&W) that I started seeing In Concert, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and The Midnight Special. Though I have found video's from Beat-Club on line.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 12:36
I love it! I've watched the entire series of Beat Club on YouTube with Uschi Nerke & Dave Lee Travis, and I even posted a Beat Club tribute thread here a while back. I also watched the entire series of Music Laden too, which followed on from Beat Club in 1972. Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 12:41
Yea no clue, here in 'Merica it was Don Kirshner and Midnight Special
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 13:47
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I love it! I've watched the entire series of Beat Club on YouTube with Uschi Nerke & Dave Lee Travis, and I even posted a Beat Club tribute thread here a while back. I also watched the entire series of Music Laden too, which followed on from Beat Club in 1972. Thumbs Up

Very nice. I haven't watched any Music Laden series.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 14:25
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Very nice. I haven't watched any Music Laden series.

"Laden" is German for "shop", by the way. just so you don't think the English word "laden" is meant, which would make sense as title too

Edited by BaldJean - November 06 2020 at 14:26

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 14:38
I've heard of it. Wasn't the UK equivalent "top of the pops?"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 15:16
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Very likely; but did any of these bands listed above appear on TOTP?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 15:36

Yes, all barring a couple.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 16:09

King Crimson definitely did. Not sure about Yes.
Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 17:46
Yes appeared on TOTP in 1977 via a  live performance video. Jon Anderson clad in an oversized dishcloth, most of the others in adapted Edwardian gear. So technically not live in the studio
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 01:36
In the 90s the Italian national TV (RAI) broadcasted all the Beat Club videos exactly at the time I was back from work. I didn't miss one.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 02:01
Yes well remember it being shown on UK TV often very late in the evening. The ELP one was of particular interest, had them filmed about 1970 in Belgium. The camera work is the best for any ELP gig I've seen. I love the 'up close and personal' shots during Rondo when you see Keith Emerson's fingers flying across the keys to a point it becomes a blur. The DVD of this gig is of course widely available but it originated from The Beat Club. I also loved the Curved Air and VDGG ones. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 06:48
^ Yep, watched the VDGG one on YouTube the other night. Sheer class.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 09:29
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

^ Yep, watched the VDGG one on YouTube the other night. Sheer class.

Just like everything related to this band! Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 03:51
I'm German but wasn't around at the time (or rather in an all too childish state). I remember having seen some of it later though, and being amazed how good it was. I should probably check out what can be found these days.

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 08:17
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I'm German but wasn't around at the time (or rather in an all too childish state). I remember having seen some of it later though, and being amazed how good it was. I should probably check out what can be found these days.

All Beat-Club episodes can be found on YouTube.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply