Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why did Yes name themselves Yes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 05:00
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I feel like this is more of a google search rather than a Progarchives thread, god knows we already have enough Yes threads.

LOL
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 05:04
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I feel like this is more of a google search rather than a Progarchives thread, god knows we already have enough Yes threads.

LOL
You may be interested to know I have some Yes solo album polls coming up soon, when I've eventually sorted out the long list of Yes band members, past and present. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 05:06
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

LOL
You may be interested to know I have some Yes solo album polls coming up soon, when I've eventually sorted out the long list of Yes band members, past and present. Smile

LOL
I thought you did it already, or at least something similar. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 05:10

LOL

LOL
I thought you did it already, or at least something similar. 
I've done solo album polls for Genesis, the Moody Blues & Pink Floyd recently, but I don't remember doing any solo album polls for Yes, although I could be wrong. Smile
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 05:17

LOL

Bring 'em on, Paul!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 05:22
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

LOL

Bring 'em on, Paul!
I just hope 25 poll slots is enough for all of the many ex-members of Yes. Tongue
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 05:24

LOL

Bring 'em on, Paul!
I just hope 25 poll slots is enough for all of the many ex-members of Yes. Tongue

oh my God, there's gonna be a ton of weak albums in there. LOL
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 05:29

LOL

Should we make it a poll? Wink

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 05:48

LOL

Bring 'em on, Paul!

oh my God, there's gonna be a ton of weak albums in there. LOL
Yes, but there'll be some real gems in there too, at least to begin with. Smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 11:46
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

It was going to be life, world or Yes. They wanted a one word name. Peter Banks came up with Yes because he convinced the rest of them that because it was only three letters it would take up more space and appear larger on posters for their shows.

Thanks, good history! 

I remember the early 1970s, when "Yes" were sometimes referred to as "The Yes."  When I saw the CTTE show in Chicago (22 Sept 1972), the US band The Eagles opened.   When they finished, one of the band members introduced the band as "...our friends, the Yes!"  

I know Peter Banks was very favorably impressed by Pete Townsend and The Who, so that may have figured into it a bit.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 13:43
Ironically, it's Eagles, not "The Eagles," but many people get it wrong (understandably). Hehe. Funny that one of them said "the Yes" then.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 14:50
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Ironically, it's Eagles, not "The Eagles," but many people get it wrong (understandably). Hehe. Funny that one of them said "the Yes" then.

Funny, they are constantly referred to as "The Eagles" by the media.  

Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 20:46
I suspect the name YES sounds a lot more positive than calling yourself NO Wink 
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 20:56
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Funny, they are constantly referred to as "The Eagles" by the media.  

I suspect the media calls them The Eagles and not Eagles because so many of them went on to successful solo careers so "THe Eagles" makes a little more sense ... BTW I love Eagles one of the few non prog bands I've got plenty of time for. Tongue 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 00:40

It was going to be life, world or Yes. They wanted a one word name. Peter Banks came up with Yes because he convinced the rest of them that because it was only three letters it would take up more space and appear larger on posters for their shows.

Thanks, good history! 

I remember the early 1970s, when "Yes" were sometimes referred to as "The Yes."  When I saw the CTTE show in Chicago (22 Sept 1972), the US band The Eagles opened.   When they finished, one of the band members introduced the band as "...our friends, the Yes!"  

I know Peter Banks was very favorably impressed by Pete Townsend and The Who, so that may have figured into it a bit.  

Yes (lol!) I remember hearing this, as well (regarding potential Yes band names). What a positive group of young lads, lol!

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 02:53
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Thanks, good history! 

Yes (lol!) I remember hearing this, as well (regarding potential Yes band names). What a positive group of young lads, lol!

I've played in more than a few bands....the advantage of the name "Yes" is that it is easy to pronounce drunk! 

I'm serious!!  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 03:06

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Thanks, good history! 

I've played in more than a few bands....the advantage of the name "Yes" is that it is easy to pronounce drunk! 

I'm serious!!  

As someone that has played semi-professionally in rock and metal bands since 2006, nobody understands (and learned this the HARD WAY) now more than myself! LOL

WE ARE PSYCHOTHERATROXICAUST AND THIS NEXT TRACK'S OFF OUR NEW RECORD ENCAPSULATED DECIMATION!!! (all of that was made up but it's an accurate representation of the un-marketability of most rock and metal LOL).

Yes is a genius band name. How many times have you asked someone what time it was, and they were hammered and just said "Yes" because they didn't understand the question?

Is this the band?

"Yes!"

What time is it?

"Yes!"

LOL.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - November 09 2020 at 03:07

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 03:11
Having a band name that you have to explain is a right pain in the ***. We were once briefly called "Red Mullet Fantasy" (the result of a slightly drunken meal at a local Indian restaurant where it was on the menu and someone said "that's a good name for a band!).
We once entered a battle of the bands contest where we were billed as "Red Mullet Factory".

Many years ago I was in a band called Hoozhoo and nobody could ever spell it properly.
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 03:47
In Russian language there are no articles (like a/an/the in English), no [w] sound and (usually) no copula in the present tense. Hence we e.g. have Kvin (or Kuin).

To demonstrate these features, the sentence "ya inzhener" - I am an engineer - is sometimes used. I still long for a band, album or tune named "I engineer".

Edited by Woon Deadn - November 09 2020 at 03:51
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 04:29
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Having a band name that you have to explain is a right pain in the ***. We were once briefly called "Red Mullet Fantasy" (the result of a slightly drunken meal at a local Indian restaurant where it was on the menu and someone said "that's a good name for a band!).
We once entered a battle of the bands contest where we were billed as "Red Mullet Factory".

Many years ago I was in a band called Hoozhoo and nobody could ever spell it properly.

Or all the pop punk bands with numbers in their names, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>