Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why did Yes name themselves Yes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 07:25
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

This just came to my mind out of nowhere... And I have no idea what's the story behind Yes naming the band like that?
Who came up with this and why did they go with it? Big smile

Legend has it that their guitarist, Peter Banks, came up with the name.  It was short and very positive.  

Here, this is brilliant history!  Peter also came up with the Yes logo:

No, no no no, no,.no, nono, no..yes!😄
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 23:02

Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

It's a bit easier to market than a band called "No", isn't it now?

Right now, I can imagine a band calling themselves 'No' but you are right for sure.
I remember t-shirts in the 70s that had No and Maybe printed on them in the Yes logo style. That's a sure sign of success.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 18:11
Well if someone asks your favorite band and you say Yes. They'll say it wasn't a yes or no question. So to bother people and to make you ask questions.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 19:20
I'm 65 years young, and remember a time when some referred to the band as "The Yes!"  

For example, on Sept 22, 1972, I saw a fresh young band, the Eagles, open for Yes on their CTTE (Yessongs) tour.  

After a very rousing set, one of the Eagles (Don Henley?) came out and said something like "And now, we would like to introduce you to our good friends, The Yes!" 

Makes sense, as the band (especially Banks and Squire) were huge fans of The Who!  I don't think it was ever formalized, but I also had friends who called them "The Yes."  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 19:29

I'm 65 years young, and remember a time when some referred to the band as "The Yes!"  

For example, on Sept 22, 1972, I saw a fresh young band, the Eagles, open for Yes on their CTTE (Yessongs) tour.  

After a very rousing set, one of the Eagles (Don Henley?) came out and said something like "And now, we would like to introduce you to our good friends, The Yes!" 

Makes sense, as the band (especially Banks and Squire) were huge fans of The Who!  I don't think it was ever formalized, but I also had friends who called them "The Yes."  

I'm a bit younger than you but I remember some guy in my class in Jr. High when mentioning bands his brother or someone told him about saying something like "and also the Yes." That was probably not too long before the 90125 album came out(maybe 5 or 6 months before it). After that I would say no excuse. I also don't know why my eighth grade teacher said "and a little bit of Yes in there as well" after I mentioned them when he wanted names of rock bands. It seems he was judging them based on his perceived popularity of them or something. Was Yes ever an obscure band. 

Anyway, that happened not too long after 90125 and they were pretty big then but I guess he didn't think so or maybe he didn't turn on the damn radio at the time. Oh well. Anyway, I can see people calling them the Yes because of the Yes album. Pink Floyd were briefly called the Pink Floyd. Initially Yes were called Yes! but after two months the exclamation mark was dropped.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 23:14
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm a bit younger than you but I remember some guy in my class in Jr. High when mentioning bands his brother or someone told him about saying something like "and also the Yes." That was probably not too long before the 90125 album came out(maybe 5 or 6 months before it). After that I would say no excuse. I also don't know why my eighth grade teacher said "and a little bit of Yes in there as well" after I mentioned them when he wanted names of rock bands. It seems he was judging them based on his perceived popularity of them or something. Was Yes ever an obscure band. 

Anyway, that happened not too long after 90125 and they were pretty big then but I guess he didn't think so or maybe he didn't turn on the damn radio at the time. Oh well. Anyway, I can see people calling them the Yes because of the Yes album. Pink Floyd were briefly called the Pink Floyd. Initially Yes were called Yes! but after two months the exclamation mark was dropped.

Thanks, great comments and good history!! Clap

Many bands in the psychodelic and proto-prog era seemed to use "The...." in their name, didn't they?  The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Guess Who, The Grateful Dead, The Yardbirds and so forth.  It doesn't seem to be a naming convention that has carried on to our modern era.  

Edited by cstack3 - February 22 2021 at 23:16
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 00:21

You're twice my age and we both love YES just as much. Envious that you got to see them live in the golden era! Same with my father lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 01:29

This just came to my mind out of nowhere... And I have no idea what's the story behind Yes naming the band like that?
YES were originally known as Mabel Greer's Toyshop, but they wanted to come up with a shorter name. Jon Anderson wanted to call the new band "Life", and then Chris Squire suggested "World", and Peter Banks simply replied "Yes", and the band YES was born. After all,  it's easier to design the logo for a 3-letter band name. Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 08:51
Originally posted by Lieutenant_Lan Lieutenant_Lan wrote:

Well if someone asks your favorite band and you say Yes. They'll say it wasn't a yes or no question. So to bother people and to make you ask questions.

I think that depends on the person you ask and whether they know the band or not.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 10:12
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

YES were originally known as Mabel Greer's Toyshop, but they wanted to come up with a shorter name. Jon Anderson wanted to call the new band "Life", and then Chris Squire suggested "World", and Peter Banks simply replied "Yes", and the band YES was born. After all,  it's easier to design the logo for a 3-letter band name. Smile

Germaine Greer's Toyshop would have been, at the very least, a funnier name.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 12:01
Why? Because Genesis was already taken.

Edited by SteveG - February 23 2021 at 12:02
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
ssmarcus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 07:17
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Because it's a big improvement over Mabel Greer's Toyshop. Smile

lol ClapClapClap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123