Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roger Waters - The Pros & Cons of Going Solo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 21:03
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The best thing about the pros and cons of hitchhiking is the album cover(original). Tongue

Indeed. I was living in London at that time and there was quite a fuss about Roger's posters of the original album cover being plastered all over the Tube (Underground). I remember a lot of the posters were defaced and finally had to be taken down and replaced with the new censored version. 
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 23:22
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Let me know when you actually get to the Pros And Cons album.

Which was, apparently, going to a Pink Floyd album until it all went pear-shaped.

'Amused to Death' is head and shoulders above anything else in his solo canon, I reckon.
Head and shoulders above The Final Cut which is really a Roger Waters solo album.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 22:26
Originally posted by tigerfeet tigerfeet wrote:

I used to be a Roger Waters fanatic!  That was until i got married and my wife was a Gilmour fanatic. I can tell you it almost ruined our relationship Wink Now many years later we laugh at how we used to get heated about who was more important to Pink Floyd, Waters or Gilmour. 

However, this thread is about the Pros and Cons of Going Solo. In my opinion PF had become compromised musically, and I am sure they were all desperate to get away from each other and release solo albums.

So, in regards to Pros of Going Solo for Roger, I think that he realized that he could write songs until the cows came home. His problem was that he needed a good guitarist to play guitar/solos. This is why his decision to record as a solo artist was a good decision. 

When Pros and Cons was released I was so excited. I had been a Roger fan for years. My first instrument was Bass guitar and I thought that his way of playing was exact and with purpose and creativity. I still rate him as one of the best bass guitarists of all time. 

He had decided to get Eric Clapton on board who at that time was suffering from poorly received gigs after having being in rehab a few years earlier. Clapton had become bored and non creative and in my opinion he could finally let loose on Pros and Cons and it gave him a new found lease of life. It really does come out from Clapton and such sweet guitar is all over the Pros and Cons album. He made the album for me, although i did enjoy the album cover LOL

I really wish Roger had recordings so that he could release a live album from this tour. Clapton might be one of the few guitar players that could really do justice to Gilmour's original solos. I remember hearing some bootleg songs at some point, all with rather poor quality, but I particularly remember a great version of Nobody Home, which is not one of my favourite songs from Floyd, actually, but he did add some wonderful solo that really made the song better. I actually got to hear a version of Wish you were Here with Clapton himself singing it (how I wish I could get a good quality version of that).
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 06:12
Roger Waters' Discography & Videography

3 stars 1970: Roger Waters & Ron Geesin  - Music from the Body - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzBFgnyNqkU4_SkT0r5fX3jp
 3 stars 1983: Pink Floyd - The Final Cut - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFEDE25F4A684239E
 4 stars 1984: Roger Waters - The Pros & Cons of Hitch Hiking - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCSxYXG4-UGwf6xf5D0Ic0B
 4 stars 1986: Roger Waters - When the Wind Blows (soundtrack) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzBQz_2la6-iVC_xvhYzcwXC
 5 stars 1990: Roger Waters - The Wall - Live in Berlin - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCEJqdCG4pOSGquuasY0Nao
 3 stars 2017: Roger Waters - Is This the Life We Really Want -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzA0ryrVBckGqBgGLylzzF5d
 5 stars 2020: Roger Waters - Us + Them - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf-Mb-ADrb0

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 25 2023 at 05:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2023 at 01:58

Pink Floyd Niagara performing Another Brick in the Wall

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 22 2023 at 08:53
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2023 at 03:26
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Roger Waters' Discography & Videography

3 stars 1970: Roger Waters - Music from the Body (with Ron Geesin) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzBFgnyNqkU4_SkT0r5fX3jp
 3 stars 1983: Pink Floyd - The Final Cut - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFEDE25F4A684239E
 4 stars 1984: Roger Waters - The Pros & Cons of Hitch Hiking - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCSxYXG4-UGwf6xf5D0Ic0B
 4 stars 1986: Roger Waters - When the Wind Blows (soundtrack) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzBQz_2la6-iVC_xvhYzcwXC
 5 stars 1990: Roger Waters - The Wall - Live in Berlin - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCEJqdCG4pOSGquuasY0Nao
 3 stars 2017: Roger Waters - Is This the Life We Really Want -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzA0ryrVBckGqBgGLylzzF5d

didn'tcha forget about Ca Ira? Tongue

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=9393

Wink
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2023 at 03:49
^ Better late than never with the 38-video playlist for Roger Waters' opera. Thanks for reminding me. Thumbs Up

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2023 at 05:06

Never mind the politics, here's the music.... The second-best song from The Wall album, given a heartrendingly beautiful reworking by Roger Waters in 2022. Clap Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 22 2023 at 08:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2023 at 09:35
4 stars 1979: Pink Floyd - The Wall - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nE3dmeYl_9Jgv2CT0aqufkDcyB6BBMcGM

A scene from Alan Parker's The Wall, starring Bob Geldof as the leader of a far-right neo-Nazi movement. Is Roger Waters anti-Semitic?  No comment. Tongue

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2023 at 11:29
I consider Waters a top ten Rock composer.  Up there with Dylan, Bowie, and Neil Young.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2023 at 12:00
Regardless of its execution, I think that The Pros And Cons was a brilliant concept. And I think it was Waters last brilliant concept. The rest has been beating a dead horse. The same social topics and commentary, but with a different famous guitarist. Too bad he lost his muse.

Edited by SteveG - March 22 2023 at 12:02
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2023 at 14:31

I guess, mr. RW gets quite another treatment in this thread than in the other. I've tried to make it fair. Smile
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2023 at 14:48
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I guess, mr. RW gets quite another treatment in this thread than in the other. I've tried to make it fair. Smile
Agreed. It's One of the Few places where RW gets fair treatment, bearing in mind this thread is all about the music with just a light sprinkling of politics. Wink

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2023 at 15:13
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Regardless of its execution, I think that The Pros And Cons was a brilliant concept. And I think it was Waters last brilliant concept. The rest has been beating a dead horse. The same social topics and commentary, but with a different famous guitarist. Too bad he lost his muse.

For sure, Pros and Cons was a brilliant concept.  Effects me emotionally every time I experience it. 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - March 23 2023 at 11:46
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2023 at 03:20

Dylan, Bowie, Neil Young....sorry, but to me, they're way behind Waters. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2023 at 11:48
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Dylan, Bowie, Neil Young....sorry, but to me, they're way behind Waters. Smile
Yes, whereas Roger Waters' political views are often met by The Wall of indifference, he's One of the Few artists whose music will live on forever in The Endless River of time, long after Roger's gone to that Great Gig in the Sky. Heart

Roger Waters - Two Suns in the Sunset: The final and best song from The Final Cut album, given a dramatic reworking here for the 2020 Us + Them tour. 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 23 2023 at 11:52
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2023 at 11:55
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

....Roger Waters....., he's One of the Few artists whose music will live on forever in The Endless River of time, long after Roger's gone to that Great Gig in the Sky. Heart

very poetic  Thumbs Up

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2023 at 12:26
As always Pauls ratings are at odds with everyone else and the real nature of things..Wink
PA ratings-

Waters and Geesin 2.83
Pros and Cons 3.07
Radio Kaos 2.97
Amused To Death 3.93
Ca IRA 3.33
Is This the LIfe 3.73
Stravinskys Soldiers Tale 3.09
Final Cut (listed as a Floyd lp) 3.19

There are several lps by Dylan ,Bowie, and Young I would play and own over anything solo by Waters....
now Pink Floyd early lps  would be a different matter. Could care less about his politics ..just talking the music here.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2023 at 12:49
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

As always Pauls ratings are at odds with everyone else and the real nature of things..Wink
PA ratings-

Waters and Geesin 2.83
Pros and Cons 3.07
Radio Kaos 2.97
Amused To Death 3.93
Ca IRA 3.33
Is This the LIfe 3.73
Stravinskys Soldiers Tale 3.09
Final Cut (listed as a Floyd lp) 3.19

There are several lps by Dylan ,Bowie, and Young I would play and own over anything solo by Waters....
now Pink Floyd early lps  would be a different matter. Could care less about his politics ..just talking the music here.

The Times They Are a-Changing..... There was a time not so long ago when I would've preferred Bob Dylan over Roger Waters, but that was before I listened to all of Roger Waters' solo albums on ProgArchives, especially his amazing 5-star Live performances, just like the one below - one of my all-time favourite Prog_Rock concerts.  Thumbs Up

5 stars 2020: Roger Waters - Us + Them - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf-Mb-ADrb0

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 25 2023 at 05:19
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2023 at 12:52
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

@moshkito: Yes, good - and elaborate - points regarding the PF soundtracks. I agree with most (if not all) of what you say, especially also regarding The Wall. This one stands out, also because film and music were so much conceived together. And the music remains good even when it stands alone, although I also regret they didn't keep everything for the album.

Hi,

In my book, TW is actually a continuation of something that PF had started in 1971 or so, when they were playing sound vignettes in between songs, and my thoughts always were that these were there so the synthesizers (for example) could be setup correctly for the next piece. It's hard to say, and both Roger and Dave will not say anything about it, because they will feel that their talent in composition, specially in TW is lessened. In my mind, their visuals CAME ALIVE with TW, and were kinda started with DSOTM and they were made more important in the next two albums and tours, what with a big pinky loose around London! And then in the stadiums, where fans (at Anaheim in LA) were fighting for pieces of the pig when it exploded, and Roger got mad (it's on the bootlegs loud and clear!).

But I agree, the conception of the film with the music, was exceptional and the story was nice, although incomplete ... how Vera Lynn is mentioned and then the stuff that shows in TFC appears, ought to explain that TW was cut up ... and some of the visuals that showed up in TFC on TV were in the original version of TW ... which was almost 20 minutes longer. I think the record company wanted to make sure all of it fit in 2 LP's and 4 sides ...  thus the cutting, since a triple album would still be missing what would be 20 minutes, and probably too much for the FM radio at the time in America.

It was a case, for me, of the visuals they used at the start, right after Syd, and how they ended up creating a story they could put together ... which became TW. But it had started with DSOTM and then WYWH and then finally ANIMALS.

As for the PROS AND CONS album, it's not one I listen to much anymore. I thought that EC was a bad match for the album, and someone like Jeff Beck would have been considerably better and he showed it later in AMUSED TO DEATH. EC was too much into the "blues" at that time to be able to get out of them and help make the album better and much more within what RW, or even PF, had done before.

Edited by moshkito - March 23 2023 at 12:56
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>