Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - People who disown Marillion without Fish are...?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

People who disown Marillion without Fish are...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: What's their case?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.08%]
1 [2.08%]
4 [8.33%]
11 [22.92%]
11 [22.92%]
1 [2.08%]
17 [35.42%]
2 [4.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2020 at 19:15
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Voted for: Right to like and dislike anything!
Never liked Marillion regardless of the lineup. That said, the Genesis comparisons are increasingly tiresome and completely wide of the mark. Despite it being an unflinching confrontation with his own alcoholism, the self mythologizing artwork of Clutching at Straws was the final 'straw' for me i.e. Fish actually thought he was part of a conversation that included Dylan Thomas, Truman Capote, Lenny Bruce, John Lennon and Jack Kerouac. The only thing he has in common with most of that company is the liver ravaging bar tab. It's completely understandable that people starved of Prog in the 80's were more than ready to lower the bar to accommodate the false dawn afforded by Neo.

If Neo is epitomised by Marillion, IQ, Pendragon, Arena, Pallas and the like, I think they raised the bar over most 70s prog.

You know there's a 'delete post' option right?Wink
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2020 at 19:34
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

I loved Marillion with Fish. I've got all the Fish era albums. When Fish left I was very sad, but I bought the new album from the band, and the solo album from Fish.

Both of them disappointed me.

The chemistry was gone. Fish had the vocal sound I loved, with that Scottish leer, and the intelligent lyrics, and the concepts where themes crossed over between albums.

Combine that with the great musicianship of the band, especially Steve Rothery's guitar, and the result was something special.

I have albums from the Hogarth era, but they just don't hold the same appeal for me.

The Hogarth albums are fairly standard rock. They're not particularly proggy. The musicianship is still good, but, for me, the magic died when Fish left.

I'm so with ya on this one. H era just seems to sleepytime lackluster. Not really the vocalist's fault but rather the band went for dream pop inspired almost AOR vibes. A big yawn for me. Fish solo albums were better but yes that magic chemistry that made the first four Marillion albums so great was lost for me too.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2020 at 21:31
The drop in quality is noticeable, especially the longer they continue. But people like what they like.  
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 14:29
I do mostly prefer Fish era Marillion, but they did some essential music afterwards too, anyway.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 14:35
"People who disown Marillion without Fish..."

may be pescetarian.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 16:18
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

may be pescetarian.

Or Episcopalians? Certainly not Presbyterians.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 16:35
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

may be pescetarian.

Or Episcopalians? Certainly not Presbyterians.

Not even Sufiish (neither Sufiism nor Sunfishism).

Or just plain wetter than a Fish's wet bits.

PS. I'm not into Marillion with or without D.W. Dick (aka Fish).

Edited by Logan - December 28 2020 at 16:40
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 17:03

People who disown Marillion without Fish are... not fond of Hogath's vocals. Confused

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 19:31

Raised the bar over most 70s prog? LOL Prog rock actually had the semblance, however faint, of progressivity in the 70s. It actually differentiated itself from the run-of-the-mill rock and roll of the time. The bands you spat out are pale imitations. Like a Casio keyboard's stale simulation of actual instruments.

Indeed.  Raised the bar over what, exactly?  Thick As A Brick?  Foxtrot?  Tarkus/Brain Salad Surgery? Close To The Edge?  Wish You Were Here?  Rotter's Club?  Seriously.  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 19:33
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I'm one of the smart ones. It's your loss if you don't like H-era Marillion.

But that goes for any music, though.  It's always your loss if you don't listen to and appreciate something. There's very little music that's utterly, objectively bad.  So one has to prioritize and listen to the music the mind gravitates to rather than be like, "Oh, it's Marillion, it's got to have something in it for me if I only tried hard enough".  There's no point to forcing it.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 19:39
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Raised the bar over most 70s prog? LOL Prog rock actually had the semblance, however faint, of progressivity in the 70s. It actually differentiated itself from the run-of-the-mill rock and roll of the time. The bands you spat out are pale imitations. Like a Casio keyboard's stale simulation of actual instruments.

Indeed.  Raised the bar over what, exactly?  Thick As A Brick?  Foxtrot?  Tarkus/Brain Salad Surgery? Close To The Edge?  Wish You Were Here?  Rotter's Club?  Seriously.  

Love Beach perhaps?   
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 19:48
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

I loved Marillion with Fish. I've got all the Fish era albums. When Fish left I was very sad, but I bought the new album from the band, and the solo album from Fish.

Both of them disappointed me.

The chemistry was gone. Fish had the vocal sound I loved, with that Scottish leer, and the intelligent lyrics, and the concepts where themes crossed over between albums.

Combine that with the great musicianship of the band, especially Steve Rothery's guitar, and the result was something special.

I have albums from the Hogarth era, but they just don't hold the same appeal for me.

The Hogarth albums are fairly standard rock. They're not particularly proggy. The musicianship is still good, but, for me, the magic died when Fish left.

More or less what I feel.  But I still do like Vigil In A Wilderness a lot.  When I listened to that, I realized that Fish had been hugely influential on the Marillion sound, to the point of dominating it. Maybe that's why they wanted him out, so Rothery & Co could do their own thing.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 19:48

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Love Beach perhaps?   

Talk about lowering the bar. LOL
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 19:51
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I'm so with ya on this one. H era just seems to sleepytime lackluster. Not really the vocalist's fault but rather the band went for dream pop inspired almost AOR vibes. A big yawn for me. Fish solo albums were better but yes that magic chemistry that made the first four Marillion albums so great was lost for me too.

Some of it IS his fault, if you've heard his attempts to sing Script For A Jester's Tear.  He just bails out of nailing that "Game is OVERRRR" scream.  He was a completely different kind of singer. He would not have fit into the Fish-Marillion sound so the band would have had to move to where they could accommodate his voice.  As it turns out, they wanted to all along anyway.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 02:13
I can dig the music without seabass..but I just don’t dig Hogarth’s vocals. Too emotional? I’m not sure...
There’s the odd track here and there that I like but not enough to go out and purchase albums. I burnt my hands on both Brave and Marbles.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 03:55
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I can dig the music without seabass..but I just don’t dig Hogarth’s vocals. Too emotional? I’m not sure...
There’s the odd track here and there that I like but not enough to go out and purchase albums. I burnt my hands on both Brave and Marbles.

Seabass, that's what some underwater rock bands use:

I'm not keen on Hogarth's vocals (sensitive and a little too mainstream sounding in a way for me from what I remember). Fish I can find a little too emotive (mind you, I warmed up to Peter Hammill long ago despite finding much of his vocals downright embarrassing at first).

Very good to see you around, David. I hope you're doing well. I have really missed your presence at the forum.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 04:46
Thanks Greg I’ve missed your sweet lingo-karate as well.
It’s a weird sort of tightrope walk..vocals that is. I used to hate Hammill’s overwrought delivery...and then I absolutely loved it for a couple of years...now I’m somewhere in between and go through days where I can’t stand his singing whilst other days it’s nigh on brilliant

Btw I was more or less referencing Nathalie Portman saying seabass again and again in Thor 2...which incidentally is the finest bit of the entire flick

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 29 2020 at 04:47
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 04:55
I'm not a big fan of Marillion, but, oh god, Clutching at Straws is definitely a top-tier album. Their best work so far, I love especially the guitar work. The other Fish albums are nice and I definitely enjoy them more than anything done after he was gone. It is really weird how the band changed so much with the following album, with a more sober approach instead of lively arrangements. Fish solo carrier wasn't that great either, although Sunsets on Empires is my favorite work from him after Clutching.

Edited by Deadwing - December 29 2020 at 04:57
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 06:16
I sampled some of Brave and Seasons End and also a random Steve Hogarth live performance off the net.  Just to see if maybe at that time, I had reacted too strongly to a different sound.  Nah.  Gonna stay away.  The thing is it's all so mellow and atmospheric so adding a super whiny voice on top of it makes it a bit like a prog Smashing Pumpkins (though not that horrific...ew, could never ever stand Billy Corgan). I can stand the super cring-ey Jonathan Higgs on Everything Everything because their music is so dynamic and kicks ass. 

I tend to 'appreciate' Fish's singing for the energy and passion rather than being head over heels in love with his tone.  But I swear, listening to Family Business/Cliche right after H-Marillion makes him sound like Hayward or Greg Lake in comparison.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 06:28
all the bashing Hogarth era gets here makes me... sad (for lack of a better word) and looking at the poll options, here I thought this poll was a joke,  not to be taken seriously. My bad... Ouch

Edited by Cristi - December 29 2020 at 06:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>