Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is 'Rumours' by Fleetwood Mac severely overrated?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is 'Rumours' by Fleetwood Mac severely overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 10:16
they are one of the only hugely successful groups that I love..so I am very protective of them!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 11:11
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

What's polarizing about it? I think 99% of people agree its a classic album with relatively strong pop rock songs front to back.

I agree, I spin it more than any other album of that era and genre, Eagles Hotel California comes in close 2nd. 
Rumours is a brilliant album with amazing song writing by the whole band, and showed how talented they all are especially Stevie Nicks back in '77, what was she like 16yrs old or something LOL.

I have several copies of the album my original version, a Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray remastered version cut at RTI which is absolutely stunning!! And just picked up a clear LP version pressed at Optimal Media GmbH at Walmart for US$12, such a deal. Sound is not as good as the Hoffman version, but much better than my CD version.

Brilliant album.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 13:26
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

So basically you don't like it so therefore it's overrated. Is it overplayed? For sure but it's a classic album for a reason.

Never said I don't like it. Perhaps, I love one half and despise the other... don't know where this stands on the like-dislike spectrum. Tongue

Personally I prefer the term over exposed. Tastes may vary regarding how much we all like classic albums but hearing albums too much can help us hate albums that otherwise pretty good. I have to be in the right mood every few years to want to hear this album but still have to admit that it's brilliant pop music

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 13:30
Over exposed....yes.  Over rated....no.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 14:41
overrated in that the Welch era albums like Bare Trees and especially Future Games were probably better albums..  but it was a great album.. albums do not become overexposed without first being a great album. .see Dark Side of the Moon

and it did have Stevie.. and she alone merits classic status...

Edited by micky - November 16 2020 at 14:42
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 16:45
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

overrated in that the Welch era albums like Bare Trees and especially Future Games were probably better albums..  but it was a great album.. albums do not become overexposed without first being a great album. .see Dark Side of the Moon

and it did have Stevie.. and she alone merits classic status...

I dunno. Milli Vanilli, Tiffany, New Kids on the Block were all over exposed at one time and I doubt many would call their teeny bopper crap classic :D

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 17:47
really Puppy??... when you show me kiddies starting polls 40 years later about their albums being overrated.. then I'll consider them equivalent to the point i made with Rumours  

and dont you dare diss New Kids...  not only one of the best concerts I ever saw...  probably the best sex i ever had for actually allowing myself to be talked into going to it. An open mind can lead to open legs..  no wonder proggers are such sad souls...

Edited by micky - November 16 2020 at 17:47
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 21:39
nice kitty...I approve
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 22:10
Ya know...I'm a bit disappointed that the 'proggers' here are discussing Rumours.....does anyone know if Progressive Ears are accepting new members...?

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 22:30
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Ya know...I'm a bit disappointed that the 'proggers' here are discussing Rumours.....does anyone know if Progressive Ears are accepting new members...?

LOL

see the snob thread for more details Shocked
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 00:22

LOL

It ain't disappointing at all, proggers are the ones who should be discussing this. Wink
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 00:59
"Go your own way" is one of my favorite FM songs!  

Lindsay sings the vocals, I used to think it was Stevie Nicks!  Buckingham is also a hell of a good guitarist.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 03:25
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

What's polarizing about it? I think 99% of people agree its a classic album with relatively strong pop rock songs front to back.

I agree, I spin it more than any other album of that era and genre, Eagles Hotel California comes in close 2nd. 
Rumours is a brilliant album with amazing song writing by the whole band, and showed how talented they all are especially Stevie Nicks back in '77, what was she like 16yrs old or something LOL.

Nicks is born in 1948, do the math. Big smileLOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 10:38
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

In 1977, I could careless when she was born, I was 12.......Friggin smokin HOT!! 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 10:41

In 1977, I could careless when she was born, I was 12.......Friggin smokin HOT!! 

well, she was not 16. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 11:22

well, she was not 16. 

But she was, indeed, friggin smoking hot!
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 11:34

LOL

It ain't disappointing at all, proggers are the ones who should be discussing this. Wink
In that case, maybe I'll include Fleetwood Mac on my Prog Britannia YT channel. Wink

Besides which, I'm already running out of prog artists beginning with the letter "F" Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 11:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

LOL

In that case, maybe I'll include Fleetwood Mac on my Prog Britannia YT channel. Wink

Besides which, I'm already running out of prog artists beginning with the letter "F" Smile

are you promoting your youtube channel? Not cool man, not cool. LOL
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 11:39
^ I think it would be cool to have Fleetwood Mac on my prog channel though, even though they're not prog. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 11:41
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ I think it would be cool to have Fleetwood Mac on my prog channel though, even though they're not prog. Smile

are you promoting your youtube channel? Not cool man, not cool. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>