Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is 'Rumours' by Fleetwood Mac severely overrated?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is 'Rumours' by Fleetwood Mac severely overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 09:23
I think behind DSOtM it is the most repressed album of the past 30yrs. You speak to any record store owner and the two records they cite as most regular sellers and consistently top sellers are DSOtM and Rumours.

Listeners, especially the young, are discovering how brilliant both of these albums are every year.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 10:42
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

4 stars Then Play On (1969)
 3 stars Mystery to Me (1973)
 4 stars Fleetwood Mac (1975)
 5 stars Rumours (1977)
Those are my four favorites, and I'd actually remove one star from Rumours and give it to Mystery to Me. (admittedly it's a weakish four for the latter and a strong one for the former)

If the much superior Silver Springs were on it instead of either of those dime a dozen songs Don't Stop or I Don't Want to Know - I'd rate it a five.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 11:42
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I think behind DSOtM it is the most repressed album of the past 30yrs. You speak to any record store owner and the two records they cite as most regular sellers and consistently top sellers are DSOtM and Rumours.

Listeners, especially the young, are discovering how brilliant both of these albums are every year.

As with the songs 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and 'Stairway to Heaven' those albums tend to suffer from over familiarity, as excellent as they all are.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 11:57
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

5 stars Rumours (1977)
Those are my four favorites, and I'd actually remove one star from Rumours and give it to Mystery to Me. (admittedly it's a weakish four for the latter and a strong one for the former)

If the much superior Silver Springs were on it instead of either of those dime a dozen songs Don't Stop or I Don't Want to Know - I'd rate it a five.
It's a Mystery to Me why anyone would think the Rumours album is overrated. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 12:55

5 stars Rumours (1977)

It's a Mystery to Me why anyone would think the Rumours album is overrated. Smile
Is it really such a mystery I find those two mentioned songs pretty dull and mediocre (they obviously are), and that the album would be better had they chosen the gorgeous Silver Springs over any of them? Stevie Nicks certainly agrees with me, as she eventually quit the band (years later) because her song was dropped.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 13:32
I've never purchased it mainly because I've heard many of the songs so many times so don't see the point. I doubt it's overrated but it's comfortable mainstream rock/pop for people that don't want too much in the way of challenging music. It's not boring though as the songs are unique and different.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 13:46
Surprisingly, "Then Play On" was voted the top album in a recent PA poll.....

1. Then Play On (50 points)
2. Rumours (34 points)
3. Bare Trees (21 points)
4. Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac (20 points)
5. Tango in the Night (14 points)
6. Fleetwood Mac 1975 (12 points)
7. Tusk (11 points)
7. Kiln House (11 points)

9. Future Games (10 points)
10. Heroes Are Hard to Find (9 points)

11. English Rose (8 points)
12. Mirage (7 points)
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 14:15
Please, Paul, don't pretend your polls are PA polls. They are your polls, with your points system and with a very limited number of participants, so with no statistical value whatsoever. Don't confound yourself with PA, your polls are Psychedelic Paul polls.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 15:49
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

As with the songs 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and 'Stairway to Heaven' those albums tend to suffer from over familiarity, as excellent as they all are.

Both these albums have proven to be timeless....
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2021 at 02:18

5 stars Rumours (1977)

Is it really such a mystery I find those two mentioned songs pretty dull and mediocre (they obviously are), and that the album would be better had they chosen the gorgeous Silver Springs over any of them? Stevie Nicks certainly agrees with me, as she eventually quit the band (years later) because her song was dropped.

I don't want to know is comfortably the most dispensable, disposable song on that album.  I am not very much fond of Don't Stop but it was undeniably a hit. And again, nothing wrong as such with the song.  That's the thing with Rumours overall.  The touches of then contemporary pop/rock sensibilities in songs like Dreams or You Make Loving Fun is very tasteful while songs like Second Hand News just hew towards more traditional genres.  It's like a gateway folk-rock album with pop-rock touches. 

Edited by rogerthat - September 10 2021 at 02:55
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2021 at 02:37

Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Both these albums have proven to be timeless....

I couldn't respectfully disagree more with the above if I tried - so I won't lol Cool.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2021 at 02:45

Surprisingly, "Then Play On" was voted the top album in a recent PA poll.....

1. Then Play On (50 points)
2. Rumours (34 points)
3. Bare Trees (21 points)
4. Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac (20 points)
5. Tango in the Night (14 points)
6. Fleetwood Mac 1975 (12 points)
7. Tusk (11 points)
7. Kiln House (11 points)

9. Future Games (10 points)
10. Heroes Are Hard to Find (9 points)

11. English Rose (8 points)
12. Mirage (7 points)

PA has spoken and they deem Then Play On worthy.  I'll check it out. I've never listened to that one.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - September 10 2021 at 15:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2021 at 02:51
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

5 stars Rumours (1977)

I don't want to know is comfortably the most dispensable, disposable song on that album.  I am not very much fond of Don't Stop but it was undeniably a hot. And again, nothing wrong as such with the song.  That's the thing with Rumours overall.  The touches of then contemporary pop/rock sensibilities in songs like Dreams or You Make Loving Fun is very tasteful while songs like Second Hand News just hew towards more traditional genres.  It's like a gateway folk-rock album with pop-rock touches. 
Yes, and I still love the album (and never actually wrote that I considered it to be overrated), but the last three minutes of this are among my favorite three minutes of Fleetwood Mac. 

I think all of their albums are quite patchy really. But at their best their best - they are the best (in popular music).
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2021 at 04:13

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

5 stars Rumours (1977)

I don't want to know is comfortably the most dispensable, disposable song on that album.  I am not very much fond of Don't Stop but it was undeniably a hot. And again, nothing wrong as such with the song.  That's the thing with Rumours overall.  The touches of then contemporary pop/rock sensibilities in songs like Dreams or You Make Loving Fun is very tasteful while songs like Second Hand News just hew towards more traditional genres.  It's like a gateway folk-rock album with pop-rock touches. 
Yes, and I still love the album (and never actually wrote that I considered it to be overrated), but the last three minutes of this are among my favorite three minutes of Fleetwood Mac. 

I think all of their albums are quite patchy really. But at their best their best - they are the best (in popular music).

Yes, I do agree that it would have been a much better track to have than either Don't Stop or I don't want to know.  I think it was a bit of a Genesis like situation - too many good songwriters and not enough songs to accommodate everyone and with Lindsey somewhat hogging up the credits. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345