3 [14.29%]
1 [4.76%]
0 [0.00%]
16 [76.19%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Absence of Reviews for Kansas latest album
    Posted: November 16 2020 at 03:31
It just seems a little strange that's all that when a high profile band releases a new CD hardly anybody makes a comment Tongue 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 03:37
Maybe you should review it then?

I haven't because I'm not much of a reviewer, too lazy.
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bertolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 04:37
As an occasional collaborator , i feel obliged to mention that it is what i think of everything's coming out for at least two years, out of hard/prog metal genres. So it may be an important matter of reflection; about collaborator's renewing, and even the whole site dynamism. This is out of any harsh criticism but only a factual question. Evidently this is a much larger question than what is allowed to this poll...
45 years of prog listening and still movin'
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 05:15
Not that I don't like Kansas, their latest didn't pique my interest.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 05:27
This is your second post about how you don’t like the new Kansas album. I reviewed it, thought it was decent, not as good as the prelude implicit. The mix is just too loud and compressed.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 05:29
119 ratings, 4 reviews. Not bad. Maybe their fans have moved on. The last Kansas I bought was "Point of No Return". I've heard the new one. Not for me. Sounds like Spock's Beard.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 06:09
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

This is your second post about how you don’t like the new Kansas album. I reviewed it, thought it was decent, not as good as the prelude implicit. The mix is just too loud and compressed.
Doug I`m not saying I don't like it and I read your review edit and I fully agree with every word you said about it. So me writing a review would just be repeating your well chosen words too loud too compressed, brick walled etc, the material is decent enough ruined by the mix. I've analyzed the recording it peaks at 100.6 db thats loudness wars material. Something weird happens to my ears when an album is mixed so loud I fail to engage in the beauty. I need dynamic range to enjoy an album, I believe 96 db is about my natural enjoyable hearing range ... not 100.6 db.  Tongue

Edited by Enchant X - November 16 2020 at 06:25
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 06:20
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Maybe you should review it then?

I haven't because I'm not much of a reviewer, too lazy.
My reviews suck I`m not much of a reviewer, (not good enough for this site) I just stick to the forum to express my emotions out. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 06:56

The mix is just too loud and compressed.
Funny you mention this and then gush about Opeth and DT in a thread. Those mixes are crushed compared to the latest Kansas.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 07:03
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Funny you mention this and then gush about Opeth and DT in a thread. Those mixes are crushed compared to the latest Kansas.
Have you analyzed the new Kansas album using a spectrum analyzer ? its crushed to pieces .. part of Kansas beauty is their dynamic range the latest Kansas album has no dynamic range its a brick walled mess. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 07:08
You can hear a mix that's crushed, don't need a spectrum analyzer. Does the mix ruin it for you? Is the LP more dynamic?
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 09:51
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Which ones are you talking about? Dream Theater Self Titled is the only one that’s as smashed to bits as that new Kansas. A few other DT albums have some compression issues but the ones I really like don’t. Most Opeth albums sound great, the only two with compression issues are sorceress and ICV, to much more mild degrees than the new Kansas.

I thought prelude implicit had a great modern sounding mix, like you said similar to Spock’s Beard Leonard era

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 16 2020 at 09:54
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 10:09
Waiting for a new review of Kansas is like sitting one out at a square dance. You wonder why it was ever necessary in the first place. Admittingly not very witty, but hopefully you get my meaning.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 10:48
I personally never felt like reviewing it, but I liked what I heard. I guess it did not resonate and make me return to it too much, could be the reason why I did not consider writing about it.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 11:05
I voted other because I'm been busy doing reviews for other bands first. However, Kansas is a great band that I like very much. I hope have some time to review some of their stuff, I mean, the 70's stuff. As you know, it's only a matter of time and personal priorities. The same kappens with many other great bands. You know, I needed two lives, at least, to can review all I want to review.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 16:41
Funny. I've been checking out post-Morse Spock's Beard recently, and I noticed that they went in a more Kansas direction haha. Sorry, off-topic, but relevant. Feel Euphoria, Octane, the S/T, and so on.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 21:58
Well...I haven't heard it yet and I really don't want to start writing reviews...haven't done one here in 10 years.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 10:36

I find it weird too. I have reviewed it, and I gave it four stars. I think Tom Brislin was an excellent addition to the band, he really delivers here.

triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 11:13
OMG !! You mean Kansas is still kickin'???!!!???
Confused
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 04:10
Originally posted by triptych triptych wrote:

OMG !! You mean Kansas is still kickin'???!!!???
Confused
they are still kickin they show a lot of promise maybe we will see another great Kansas album before they stop kickin, all that ruined the last CD was the smashed to bits over compression which killed the dynamic range and damaged the sound of Phil Ehart's drums badly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>