Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst prog band name

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worst prog band name
    Posted: November 19 2020 at 01:55
We soon had the polls about the best band name of the 60s/70s prog outfits and we found out that Atomic Rooster is considered the best one.
But how about some really bad names that do not work that well... This time no polls, just an open discussion, and it doesn't matter from which decade the band is.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 01:59
is it bands with bad names that I enjoy?

Bands with bad names in general? I could google that for a giggle, when I have some time. 

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 02:25
CAN

lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 02:30
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Bands with bad names in general? I could google that for a giggle, when I have some time. 

I would say both really, you might enjoy the band, you might not. But we need bands with terrible names, that's the point. Tongue
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 02:35
For worst band names in general, I think Garbage has one of the trashiest names. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 02:37
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

I would say both really, you might enjoy the band, you might not. But we need bands with terrible names, that's the point. Tongue

so since you put this thread in the prog section, it's only prog bands, right? 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 02:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

For worst band names in general, I think Garbage has one of the trashiest names. Smile

I did not know Garbage was a prog band. Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 02:44

They aren't, but Crimson Mellotron said we can choose bad band names in general too. Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 02:46

They aren't, but Crimson Mellotron said we can choose bad band names in general too. Wink

then this thread should not be in the prog section.

I'll be honest then, I am tired of people not caring what they post, how they post and where they post. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 03:07

then this thread should not be in the prog section.

I'll be honest then, I am tired of people not caring what they post, how they post and where they post. 

After years of over-analyzing "What constitutes what" w labels, genres, etc., I honestly expect such consistency of disorientation lol.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 03:09
The two names that immediately spring to mind are t and IT. I love the music of both, but they are near impossible to google, unless you include additional Information about what you’re looking for - which works (mostly) for albums, but anything else can be a bit of a a search for a needle in a haystack.
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 03:17
Yeah, names like T, 3, and so on are the worst. In close competition are prog metal bands with names like "An Abstract Illusion", i.e. tasteless combos of abstract (no pun intended) words.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 03:21
...So is this worst PROG band name as the title suggests, or is it now ANY band...?

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 03:37
Originally posted by Homotopy Homotopy wrote:

Yeah, names like T, 3, and so on are the worst. In close competition are prog metal bands with names like "An Abstract Illusion", i.e. tasteless combos of abstract (no pun intended) words.

well, thank you for mentioning An Abstract Illusion, I am listening right now and they are good. I'm gonna listen some more. LOL

Also, not a bad name if you ask me. 
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 03:59
The The. Makes searching a PITA. Great band though.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 04:04
I don’t generally have such a problem with those. An Abstract Illusion sounds alright to me. I really enjoyed Baikal this year, from Asian Death Crustacean. I’ve heard a few people that have not thought much of the name, but I really like it. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Porcupine Tree, etc. All fine with me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 04:08
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

The The. Makes searching a PITA. Great band though.

The The gets my vote too for the most boring band name, but I've never heard their music, mainly because I was put off by the name. Smile
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 04:14
I have these for your delectation!

The Samurai of Prog (really!!)

United Progressive Fraternity

With a special mention for Emerson Lake and Palmer for sounding like a firm of solicitors 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 04:28
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

With a special mention for Emerson Lake and Palmer for sounding like a firm of solicitors 

And then there's Giles, Giles & Fripp, who also sound like a firm of solicitors. Smile
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 05:10

Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

And then there's Giles, Giles & Fripp, who also sound like a firm of solicitors. Smile

Yes indeed. And moreover, looked like one LOL

Edited by Ronstein - November 19 2020 at 05:10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>