13 [39.39%]
14 [42.42%]
1 [3.03%]
5 [15.15%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 03:49
A great album indeed......Petrucci still hangs in there as axeman and arranger!! Burning my soul is one of my favs :)
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 03:53
I sometimes wonder if people don’t appreciate FII just because they are grumpy that the band didn’t use their usual font for the band name.

I think a lot of the sound of the album came from their preceding tour with I Mother Earth. Petrucci reportedly really enjoyed playing with the band, and wanted to incorporate a little of that band’s sound into DT. You can hear that at times on the album, and even more on some of the songs recorded during the sessions that didn’t make the album.

Maybe, as an IME fan, this is why I like the FII album as much as I do? Just a thought....
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 08:09
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I sometimes wonder if people don’t appreciate FII just because they are grumpy that the band didn’t use their usual font for the band name.

I think a lot of the sound of the album came from their preceding tour with I Mother Earth. Petrucci reportedly really enjoyed playing with the band, and wanted to incorporate a little of that band’s sound into DT. You can hear that at times on the album, and even more on some of the songs recorded during the sessions that didn’t make the album.

Maybe, as an IME fan, this is why I like the FII album as much as I do? Just a thought....
and a good thought too I appreciate your input Tongue
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 08:13

I've never heard of I Mother Earth until today. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 21:51
For me this album is among the least interesting one up until Portnoy left the band, though it's some nice moments in it. Now, the demos version of the album is a very interesting listen indeed... it's got a few songs omitted from the album, which I don't understand why they left out, since they even had some radio potential. And a few that are really better than the one used in the album, which were changed to please the record executives (mostly, for me, You or Me (instead of You Not Me) and Burning my Soul (which in the demo version was longer, with an instrumental section in the middle that is actually Hell's Kitchen).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 21:53
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I rate Six Degrees as 5 stars, all 90 minutes of that are amazing, I also love Dramatic Turn of Events & DOT as well as ofc Awake, Images and Scenes. I really want to like Self Titled and Astonishing but they're just not for me sadly.

SDOIT along with Systematic Chaos are two albums that got worse for me over time, especially SC.

The self-titled has a strange drum sound, rather plastic sounding, I dunno. Still a solid release for me.

Stay away from The Astonishing. 
One thing is certain my mind SDOIT disc 2 deals with the subject of mental illness extremely well and with such respect as a person (myself) whos suffered with 'bipolar' for years I relate to each and every word , its an inspiration to know there's song writers out there who delve deeply into a subject many people don't want to talk about. Clap this clap is for Dream Theater showing the courage to tackle such a delicate subject with respect and great dignity and possibly enlightening many folks who listen to it, Knowledge is power to overcome ignorance and fear. Smile

again, like I said, they got awesome lyrics that you enjoy and appreciate, awesome then. 

I just don't feel the need to listen to it, that's all. There is little excitement for me in it. I also listened to it a lot when it came out. 
I haven't played it in some time maybe I'll give it another spin I do remember when it come out how blown away I was by the lyrics, I couldn't have said it better a lot of study went into the writing of the lyrics. Tongue

I don't know about the lyrics on the second disc, but the music really doesn't do much for me... which is a shame, since I really love the first disc, and if it was released alone as an album, it would be my absolute favourite from the band.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 22:07
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I rate Six Degrees as 5 stars, all 90 minutes of that are amazing, I also love Dramatic Turn of Events & DOT as well as ofc Awake, Images and Scenes. I really want to like Self Titled and Astonishing but they're just not for me sadly.

SDOIT along with Systematic Chaos are two albums that got worse for me over time, especially SC.

The self-titled has a strange drum sound, rather plastic sounding, I dunno. Still a solid release for me.

Stay away from The Astonishing. 
One thing is certain my mind SDOIT disc 2 deals with the subject of mental illness extremely well and with such respect as a person (myself) whos suffered with 'bipolar' for years I relate to each and every word , its an inspiration to know there's song writers out there who delve deeply into a subject many people don't want to talk about. Clap this clap is for Dream Theater showing the courage to tackle such a delicate subject with respect and great dignity and possibly enlightening many folks who listen to it, Knowledge is power to overcome ignorance and fear. Smile

again, like I said, they got awesome lyrics that you enjoy and appreciate, awesome then. 

I just don't feel the need to listen to it, that's all. There is little excitement for me in it. I also listened to it a lot when it came out. 
I haven't played it in some time maybe I'll give it another spin I do remember when it come out how blown away I was by the lyrics, I couldn't have said it better a lot of study went into the writing of the lyrics. Tongue

I don't know about the lyrics on the second disc, but the music really doesn't do much for me... which is a shame, since I really love the first disc, and if it was released alone as an album, it would be my absolute favourite from the band.

Same with me as well. The first CD of SDOIT is just about my favorite Dream Theater album. The second CD of this album however just doesn't do it for me.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 23:43
For me pretty much everything after BC&SL is mediocre at best with a couple bright spots. The Astonishing is at minimum boring, their magnum opus of garbage, I have yet to sit and listen to the album start to finish and doubt I ever will.
I've lost faith that DT will create anything interesting in the future....as long as they continue with Rudess's wonking on the keys like a lead guitar. And not sure why Mangini sounds like a plastic drum kit, he's not musical at all.
They should have listened to Portnoy and taken a hiatus.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 00:36
It's fairly rated, especially with it wedged between the two stand out albums that it is.

DT was never my cup of tea despite basically exemplifying what I look for in progressive metal. They somehow always missed the mark for me except for a few songs. I always ended up getting hooked on Symphony X's songs and style a bit more than DT. To each their own!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 03:43
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

It's fairly rated, especially with it wedged between the two stand out albums that it is.

DT was never my cup of tea despite basically exemplifying what I look for in progressive metal. They somehow always missed the mark for me except for a few songs. I always ended up getting hooked on Symphony X's songs and style a bit more than DT. To each their own!
But in reality to my perceptions anyway, falling into infinity is a stand out album ... that's why I started this poll , something seems a little off in its rating. Smile
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 23:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

For me pretty much everything after BC&SL is mediocre at best with a couple bright spots. The Astonishing is at minimum boring, their magnum opus of garbage, I have yet to sit and listen to the album start to finish and doubt I ever will.
I've lost faith that DT will create anything interesting in the future....as long as they continue with Rudess's wonking on the keys like a lead guitar. And not sure why Mangini sounds like a plastic drum kit, he's not musical at all.
We all think differently. I think Rudess has come of age with the last two albums, particularly with his piano playing and the new drummer fits the band perfectly (in my view Portnoy was never a good fit - he's much better as a member of Flying Colors).
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 03:45
Rudess is probably my least favourite DT keyboard player, but he does seem to have become a little more restrained - even on an album like The Astonishing, where one might expect him to be a little over-the-top, I felt he didn’t overstep the mark. Certainly not as much as his playing in the past would have suggested, anyway. (For the record, as much as he is my least favourite DT keyboard player, I do think he is probably the most talented.)

I don’t know that I’d say either Portney or Mangini is my favourite drummer for DT. They bring quite different aspects. To use The Astonishing again, I definitely think Mangini was right for that album, and it would not have worked as well with Portney. I suspect I possibly favour Mangini more, but time will tell. For the moment I’ve heard only three studio albums with him, and one of them is my least favourite DT album, so..... 🤷🏻‍♂️
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 06:09
I think Dramatic Turn Of Events is one of their best albums ever. On The Backs Of Angels, Lost Not Forgotten, Bridges in the Sky, Outcry and Breaking All Illusions are perhaps DT at their most progressive, those songs are absolutely mind blowing. This is the life is a great cut too, they really push the jams and instrumental fills to the absolute limit on that album. It is their 5th highest rated here on PA which is how I rank it so glad people seemingly agree it’s up there. Not big on the two albums that came after that, but I really enjoy Distance Over Time.

I think Mangini is a great player, def musical based on live videos such as Luna Park and seeing them live myself, I think it’s the way his drums are mixed, especially on Self Titled and The Astonishing that suck the life out of his playing.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 27 2020 at 06:13
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 17:27
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Exactly my thoughts about them. Even their better songs after Portnoy left are sound flat compared to their previous material. They may be working more comfortably now, but indeed they are missing a touch from Portnoy. Though perhaps even that might not be enough at this point, since they actually started to sound tired and lacking of ideas since before he left. Perhaps my biggest disappointment since he left the band is that there has been no Liquid Tension Experiment either, for I believe it would have been a great oportunity to bring that line-up back to life.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 04:32

I think Dramatic Turn Of Events is one of their best albums ever.

I completely agree. Top three for me!

I think Mangini is a great player, def musical based on live videos such as Luna Park and seeing them live myself, I think it’s the way his drums are mixed, especially on Self Titled and The Astonishing that suck the life out of his playing.

And again, I have to agree. I actually do like the drumming on the albums, but it definitely could be mixed better. The mixing definitely makes it easier for Mangini detractors, or Portney supporters, to make a case which I think drops away when it comes to seeing Mangini play live. I recently watched Luna Park, and Mangini is a beast. I already liked his drumming, but that show made me appreciate him even more - and also really pointed out to me how much of a disservice the mix is on the studio albums.

I still am yet to hear Distance Over Time, but I’m sure I’ll get around doing to it someday....

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 07:54
^^ Def check out the tracks Pale Blue Dot, S2N and Barstool Warrior. Some of Manginis best work with the band and straight up great Dream Theater songs off Distance Over Time.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 28 2020 at 08:01
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 07:57
I received FII as a graduation gift back in '97, and was totally blown by it. I would've rated it 5 stars then. But nowadays, I think its current rating is fair. Sure, there are outstanding tracks like "Lines in the Sand", and a favorite of mine which hasn't been mentioned, "Trial of Tears". But there terrible exec-pleasers such as "You Not Me", and "Just Let Me Breathe" that bring the overall rating down.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 08:00

Actually I loved that font. I even downloaded it from somewhere back in those days and used them in my CV's at the time
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 07:14
Great thread. DT are one of my favourite bands.

FII is rated fairly for me. Not one of my favourites, but there are worse.

I maybe need to listen to them all again and then rate them.

But I&W is the best. And The A is the very worst....
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 21:14
First option. I feel like there are some really strong songs on the album. Should be a tad bit higher.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>