Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll # -45 (or something)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Poll Question: Which three are your favorites?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [20.00%]
2 [8.00%]
2 [8.00%]
2 [8.00%]
1 [4.00%]
4 [16.00%]
1 [4.00%]
4 [16.00%]
3 [12.00%]
1 [4.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Poll # -45 (or something)
    Posted: November 25 2020 at 19:08
Happy Holidays to everyone.  As we enter this unique Holiday season, I thought we could do something a little different this time around.  In past polls, most everyone seems to want to post multiple songs of their favorite artists, so I thought we would do a poll based on that.

This time, you are to select only one of your favorite artists and spotlight them the best you can within a time limit.  Here are the rules:

1. Select one of your favorite artists and this time around, we will not allow any that are listed in the Archives.
2. Next, pick out a number of songs that you feel represent this artist the best or shows off their versatility, in other words, put together a perfect album side.  The restriction here is that your total time that you have to work with should be somewhere between 20-25 minutes.  (If you go less than that, it's okay, but do not go over 25 minutes).  If you want to post long tracks, then just remember that will mean you will not be able to post as many as you would if you do shorter tracks.
3. The songs can come from any number of albums, singles, EPs or whatever, just as long as the artist/band you are featuring is the main artist (no guest spots or etc.).
4. This poll will last until December 13th in order to help give you more time to listen to all of the entries and not be too stressed out seeing as this is a busy time of year.
5. Do not vote until voting is officially opened (probably around the 9th of December).  When you vote, you are still going to vote for your favorite 3, but are to base your vote on which artists you like the most based on the songs that are posted.
6. Try to keep your entries to artists and songs that you think are not so well known in our progressive universe.  

I hope I thought of everything and that this is clear for everyone.  If you have questions, just ask and I'll answer as soon as I can.  Invite everyone you know to join in so we can hear what everyone likes outside of the ProgArchive bubble.  I hope everyone enjoys this one.

Edited by TCat - December 07 2020 at 09:52

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 19:14
Great idea, to do a "best of," side, in essence.  Now to ponder....Clap
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 19:28
My artist that I chose to spotlight is My Morning Jacket, one of my favorite bands outside of the Archives.  The band is led by the prolific Jim James who has also done solo material and been part of other projects like "Monsters of Folk" and "The Basement Tapes".  My Morning Jacket is his main band, however, and they have been around since the early 1990s, and still releasing albums (their latest was in 2020 called "The Waterfall Part II").  Here are 5 songs that I feel are quite representative of their diverse style (total time is around 22 minutes)

We'll start off with a crowd pleaser, one of their favorite songs to play at their concerts that always gets the audience going.  

"One Big Holiday"

Cooling off just a bit from that, here is an emotional song with some great lyrics and one of my favorite tracks from them.

"Smokin' from Shootin' "

Here is a fun one with Jim doing his best Prince imitation, it's a bit goofy, but it's also very catchy.

"Highly Suspicious"

Here's another catchy one, but this time on a more serious note.

"It Beats 4 U"

And finally, another emotional track, one that is really personal for me that gets me everytime I hear it.

"Moving Away"

Edited by TCat - November 26 2020 at 10:17

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 02:45
I like this idea a lot - only problem is that I'm as always reluctant to produce too much overlap with earlier entries, and I had most of those that come to mind first already in one of the polls (without the latest ladies singer songwriter poll I'd probably have gone for Babara Morgenstern but now I won't). Ah, and no Holger Czukay either because he's on PA (although his solo work seems to be quite unknown)... but of course I'd have put up that restriction myself had I opened this poll.

I have one or two ideas, but one question first: Do you want us to put the whole presentation, i.e., all songs together, or can I just post one here one there in my typically chaotic ways?

Edited by Lewian - November 26 2020 at 02:47
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 06:06
Great idea Mike! Will have to ponder on the artist/group before posting.

Unfortunately, all the My Morning Jacket videos posted are unavailable to me. Must be a Canada v. US thing.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 08:00
Very nice poll idea, indeed. Especially in these times of lockdown, since it will need some time.

Your vids don't show up for me either. Did you take them from their own YT-channel? There they play without problem for me, but maybe they don't allow them to be embedded elsewhere...?

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 08:54
In case this can't be removed, please look at Mike's videos, he's adjusted them and they all appear to work at this time.  Clap  Videos now removed for space.  Smile

Mike, they won't work for me, either, so I took the liberty of finding them and re-posting them, let me know if any of them are a version you don't want.  I can't use Chrome as a browser to enter them in here, so used Firefox, not sure if that was the problem for you.

Edited by Snicolette - November 26 2020 at 11:16
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 09:36
^ Great! Only the last one doesn't work for me. This one for Movin' Away does:

Edit: removed video for faster page-load - working video is to be found above.

Edited by suitkees - November 26 2020 at 10:35

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 10:08
The funny thing is, all of the videos I posted were from their own YT-channel, which is typically what I do because they always seem to have the best luck being available.  When I look at Nickie's reposts, only two of them show up:  "One Big Holiday" which is an edited version and "Highly Suspicious", the others show unavailable for me.  What a mess.  

EDIT:  I went back to my original post and replaced the videos with ones not on the official YouTube Channel, so hopefully that will work now.  Thanks, Nickie for replacing what you did, but since they weren't all working for me, I didn't know if they would work outside the US.  I hope the ones I replaced will work for everyone and I would prefer those since they are the full versions.  Sorry about all of that everyone!

Edited by TCat - November 26 2020 at 10:25

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 10:21
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I like this idea a lot - only problem is that I'm as always reluctant to produce too much overlap with earlier entries, and I had most of those that come to mind first already in one of the polls (without the latest ladies singer songwriter poll I'd probably have gone for Babara Morgenstern but now I won't). Ah, and no Holger Czukay either because he's on PA (although his solo work seems to be quite unknown)... but of course I'd have put up that restriction myself had I opened this poll.

I have one or two ideas, but one question first: Do you want us to put the whole presentation, i.e., all songs together, or can I just post one here one there in my typically chaotic ways?

You are more than welcome to post them all at once or one at a time, either way works.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 10:25
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

EDIT:  I went back to my original post and replaced the videos with ones not on the official webpage, so hopefully that will work now.  Thanks, Nickie for replacing what you did, but since they weren't all working for me, I didn't know if they would work outside the US.  I hope the ones I replaced will work for everyone and I would prefer those since they are the full versions.  Sorry about all of that everyone!

Thumbs Up Works for me!

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 10:26
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

EDIT:  I went back to my original post and replaced the videos with ones not on the official webpage, so hopefully that will work now.  Thanks, Nickie for replacing what you did, but since they weren't all working for me, I didn't know if they would work outside the US.  I hope the ones I replaced will work for everyone and I would prefer those since they are the full versions.  Sorry about all of that everyone!

Thumbs Up Works for me!

Excellent Kees.  Thank you!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 10:37

The funny thing is, all of the videos I posted were from their own YT-channel, which is typically what I do because they always seem to have the best luck being available.  When I look at Nickie's reposts, only two of them show up:  "One Big Holiday" which is an edited version and "Highly Suspicious", the others show unavailable for me.  What a mess.  

EDIT:  I went back to my original post and replaced the videos with ones not on the official YouTube Channel, so hopefully that will work now.  Thanks, Nickie for replacing what you did, but since they weren't all working for me, I didn't know if they would work outside the US.  I hope the ones I replaced will work for everyone and I would prefer those since they are the full versions.  Sorry about all of that everyone!

They now all show up fine, my post can be deleted if you wish.  And thank you suitkees for chiming in and helping, too.  Smile
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 10:53
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

They now all show up fine, my post can be deleted if you wish.  And thank you suitkees for chiming in and helping, too.  Smile

Good to know, thanks Nickie.  I really appreciate your efforts to post them, but if you don't mind, you can delete them to avoid confusion (my fault for that by the way).  I owe you big time!  Embarrassed

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 11:15

Good to know, thanks Nickie.  I really appreciate your efforts to post them, but if you don't mind, you can delete them to avoid confusion (my fault for that by the way).  I owe you big time!  Embarrassed
  Not at all a problem, wish I could just delete the post, but I will take the videos out.  Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 11:49
I just love this idea!  Here is Azam Ali, who I don't think I've entered anywhere yet.  She is Iranian, lives in the US now, sings in several languages.  Her music is very hypnotic for the most part, so sit back and relax for about 23 minutes.

Because she is so interesting, I'm posting a wiki link for her.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azam_Ali

From her Elysium for the Brave release, "Endless Reverie"  

Here, from Portals of Grace, "Ben Bode Santa Maria"  

Again from Elysium for the Brave, "Heaven to Dust" 

Another from Portals of Grace, "El Rey de Francia"  

And lastly, live from her Phantoms release, "Ode to Melancholy"  

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 12:14
I have already entered with a couple of songs by my favourite Danish artist Sebastian, so I think I will pick another one for this poll. One possibility is the rock poet C.V. Jřrgensen.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 12:17
Great idea for a topic.

I've done Pram, and I wanted to cover a favourite of mine from each of the first six albums. Unfortunately I went over the 25 minutes maximum by about eight minutes. An easy solution would be to remove "Blue", but I really like that one, and so otherwise I could remove two others. It's not easy to decide. Posting these for now and will figure this out later.

"Radio Freak in a Storm" (3:45)

"Blue" (8:16)

"Serpentine" (6:04)

"The Doors of Empty Cupboards" (5:00)

"Mother of Pearl" (5:09)

"Penny Arcade" (4:27)

Total Time is 32:41 (too long now as it stands, as mentioned).

Edited by Logan - November 27 2020 at 13:17
Just a fanboy passin' through.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 12:36
It is like exchanging LPs or audio cassettes between friends, back in those days... This promises to be a very interesting poll.

Now, I am leaving the Einstürzende Neubauten to Lewian... Wink My choice of band is Kat Onoma. I already presented them, first in the covers poll with their rendition of Kraftwerk's Radioactivity, and in the Free-for-all poll with two of their own songs, but I didn't nominate them then.

Kat Onoma is a band that was active somewhere between 1986 and 2004. Not very prolific with only five studio albums (and a couple of lives), but they were important in the French rock/independent scene and with Noir Désir (but I guessed they would be a bit too well known for this poll) they are one of my favourite bands outside of those that are on PA.
Not easy to compile an "album side" but I tried to deliver something homogeneous with songs from 4 out of 5 of their albums. If there is some underlying theme, it must be something about life... Stern Smile
Hope you enjoy!

From the album Cupid: From Pompei

A little joke about their band name that opens their selftitled - and last - album (Kat Onoma is Greek and means something like "as the name says"): Intro

From their album Billy the Kid: Riverrun

From their selftitled album: Que sera votre vie?

From their album Far From the Pictures: Artificial Life

From their selftitled album: Old Trouble

Total length: 22'39

Edited by suitkees - September 06 2021 at 03:53

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 13:19
Good to have Kat Onoma here... not because I know them well, I actually know them hardly at all, but it reminds me that a friend at some point long ago played something of them to me which I liked a lot but somehow let slip. Great to have this occasion to revisit them! (Ah, Neubauten... they'd be worth it, but again already featured in another poll, and maybe a bit too well known around here.) I have two Pram albums that I like, but I don't know much more of them, so good to get further into them as well.

I'm pretty settled on a band that hasn't appeared at all yet in these polls. Smile

Edited by Lewian - November 26 2020 at 13:20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>