Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll # -45 (or something)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Poll Question: Which three are your favorites?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [20.00%]
2 [8.00%]
2 [8.00%]
2 [8.00%]
1 [4.00%]
4 [16.00%]
1 [4.00%]
4 [16.00%]
3 [12.00%]
1 [4.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 17:37
And here is my take on Lewian's selection(s):  

Lewian:  Radian “Here’s Shift” Begins with some shimmery percussive sounds, with regular drums in background.  A building of tension.  Some bass kicks in and hints of keys, shimmering continues.  A few electronic beeps and bips.  Tension continues to build with sustained notes on guitar?  Or?  Drips and drops of high notes, come in, along with the continued sustain, then more percussion.  Some string-type washes come in and the piece begins to chill out as it is drawing near the end, finalizing in a fadeout. “tg11”  Starts with some static noise and some way off sounds, a couple of drum hits.  Waves of static, shifting.  Static gets stronger, and weaves in and out, with the drum sounds continuing and a bit of feedback.  This actually feels very spooky and enigmatic to me.  Occasional clinks, then abruptly ends.  “Scary Objects”  Big buzz and clanks at the start this time.  Some boomy buzzes kick in with the clanks.  Then bleeps do a fly-by.  Jumpy percussion with slidy sounds and now some keyboard and string clangs.  Feedback ensues, while bleeps continue.  Some boingggs and then some feed-backy guitar again while percussion fades out and some low hums begin to enter the scene.  Guitar again, some strumming with feedback, and clacky bits, all the while percussion keeps on percussing and some sonar sounds are heard, along with a few more boingggs, and a repeated note, then ends.  Definitely scary stuff.  “Subcolours”  For this one, I am going to eschew my usual trying to describe what happens in the piece.  I enjoyed seeing them play, added an extra element to the piece for me.  And I would say this wandered into more psychedelic territory, much of psych was actually very slow-moving, despite the flash of some of the most popular artists.  Definitely profoundly intriguing all around.

Edited by Snicolette - November 29 2020 at 17:37
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 08:59
And mine:

Lewian: Radian is a band I have heard of but I never really explored their music. Nice to get a better glimpse here. We're indeed in more experimental and electronic territory. I very much like the sonics of Shift, underscored by the percussion and bass sounds - a kind of industrial electronics. tg11 makes me think of some of the more radical tape music and musique concrète experiments of the 50s, 60s. This one seems to play with electronic and sonic interference, with a kind of vinyl click. Intriguingly fascinating. With Scary Objects we're back into more industrial electronics again and we recognize some "normal" instruments here pinning down the rhythms and melodies. Subcolors brings a minimalist jazzy, bluesy touch to their musical approach (they could be friends with Kat Onomo on this one) tending towards post-rock in the last third of the track, very captivating. Overall quite fascinating and of these I think I prefer their Scary Objects, which seems their most typical maybe, but the four tracks all have their distinct qualities. Now I definitely have to explore them more.

Edited by suitkees - December 01 2020 at 09:12

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 10:49
Well done, suitkees!  Harder to describe abstract music in words, you definitely hit on the feelings of these pieces.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 10:54
so what's the deadline for final nomination?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 11:03
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Well done, suitkees!  Harder to describe abstract music in words, you definitely hit on the feelings of these pieces.

I like the boinggg though! Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 11:19
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Me, too, I had to keep coming up with onomatopoeias.  Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 11:21
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

so what's the deadline for final nomination?
  I think Mike had intended for it to go through this week?  It was a hard one with the US Thanksgiving holiday, for some to participate, I think, earlier.  I'm sure he'll chime in, interested to hear who you might want us to hone in on for a bit, Cristi.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 14:28
Voting won't start until December 9 because of the fact that a lot of people are busy during this time and this will give everyone a chance to listen to all of the entries.  

By the way, this time around, we are voting on the artist, so we won't have to do final nominations on any certain final song as all of the songs put up will be part of whichever artists our final votes fall on.  

Once you put up your artist and the songs you want to represent them, all you have to do is listen until December 9.  The poll will end on the 13th.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 14:32
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Voting won't start until December 9 because of the fact that a lot of people are busy during this time and this will give everyone a chance to listen to all of the entries.  

By the way, this time around, we are voting on the artist, so we won't have to do final nominations on any certain final song as all of the songs put up will be part of whichever artists our final votes fall on.  

Once you put up your artist and the songs you want to represent them, all you have to do is listen until December 9.  The poll will end on the 13th.

I meant the final nomination of the artist, I understood the topic. 

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 15:29

Thanks Nickie! I just try to give it a place within the references I have and that make sense to me, and I agree with Lewian that the boingggs, the bleeps, the buzzers, the clanks and the clacky bits are quite to the point too - very recognizable when listening to the music. Smile

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 15:32
@Cristi: We're impatiently waiting for your musical suggestions... Smile

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 15:48
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

@Cristi: We're impatiently waiting for your musical suggestions... Smile

you are? EmbarrassedTongue
I got some ideas, there are several options here. 
I'll post something tomorrow morning or so. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 16:33
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Thanks Nickie! I just try to give it a place within the references I have and that make sense to me, and I agree with Lewian that the boingggs, the bleeps, the buzzers, the clanks and the clacky bits are quite to the point too - very recognizable when listening to the music. Smile
*curtseys*  I just thought, "What do I call that?"  And decided just whatever it sounded like to me.  Glad people don't mind them, lol.  Big smile
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 16:34
And now for Kat Onoma.

"Cupid" is a sort of playful number that plays with my musical expectation, exchanging between familiarity and surprises - which is of course a combination I appreciate. The first song alone makes me curious. Also, there's a nice sound aesthetics.

"Intro" reminds me of the intro to the David Bowie song "Andy Warhol" ("it's Warhole actually... as in holes..." and so on). It's hard to judge it on the same terms as the other tracks.

"Riverrun" is an uptempo song with some country-like guitar licks. The descending dissonant guitar riff quickly goes against the feel. Americana with a twist. I really like the low-pitched and restrained vocal performance. Quite gloomy atmosphere towards the end.

"Que sera votre vie?": Very dark song with gloomy lyrics. There's a tasteful orchestral arrangement that perfectly counterpoints the edgy sound of the band. The vocal phrasings are spoken-word-like, and I wonder if Abschaum have been influenced by this band.

"Artificial Life". The lead guitar reminds me a bit of Peter Buck (R.E.M.), especially on an album like Fables of the Reconstruction. Once again there are half-talking vocals. I don't think this song is as strong as the previous ones - I miss a bit of direction. "Cupid" is my favourite so far.

"Old Trouble" has quite an unusual half-electronic beat while the singer is singing "1, 2, 3, come in" as if he was communicationg via a radio. It gradually builds up to what is sort of an odd mix between American style pop/rock (the chorus, even with gospel-like choir) and more experimental rock (the beat). A strong number.

Edited by The Anders - December 01 2020 at 16:50
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 16:47
Austria's Radian - "Shift". Great experimental electronic music with a lot of omnious dissonant sounds, and then there is an old fashioned drum kit adding some humanity to an otherwise cold and electronic universe.

Edited by The Anders - December 01 2020 at 16:47
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 08:42
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I meant the final nomination of the artist, I understood the topic. 

Voting starts December 9, so you have until December 8 to put your list up.  I would suggest doing it quicker though to give people a chance to hear it more often.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 09:24
Suitkees:  Kat Onoma:  This is an excellent choice for a spotlight artist.  I enjoyed all of your selections and it definitely whets my appetite to hear more.  I especially liked the "From Pompei" track, "Riverrun" and "Artificial Live".  The vocals are very alternative sounding and the music exhudes a certain suspense-filled angst that really draws your attention.  

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 09:55
Anders:  C.V. Jørgensen:  This is also an excellent representation of an over-looked artist.  His vocals from time to time are reminiscent of Dylan, and I say that as a big compliment because he can do it very convincingly, and it also matches the music.  It's a nice variety of tracks that also piques my interest.  I also appreciate the English translation of the lyrics, thank you for that.  I listened to this both ways, with and without lyrics and I enjoyed the music either way.  I can't really pick favorites out of your selections because they were all good.  Easy going, instantly likeable.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 10:28
^^ Glad to hear that you like Kat Onoma, Mike. I tried to compile something representative for their work with this "album side", so I guess that if you like these you might indeed like most, if not all of their albums (which you can discover on their YT-channel).
Personally, I especially like their last - self titled - album, which has a slight/modest industrial and experimental tinge on some of the songs, without abandoning their atmospheric rock take (and signature sound) on country, blues, and other Americana... 

@The Anders: Thanks for your comments. They capture quite well what I like in this band. I like that gloomy atmosphere in their music Now, do you like them as much is of course another thing... Don't know Abschaum at all, so I'll have to explore them...

Edited by suitkees - December 02 2020 at 15:12

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 14:49
The band I nominate here is called Dara. I wanted to suggested it for inclusion on PA but damn if I know what subgenre. Which means that the music is definitely interesting. Hope you enjoy the four songs I found on youtube. 

Edited by Cristi - December 02 2020 at 14:59
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>