Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barclay James Harvest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What do you think of Barclay James Harvest?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [26.19%]
10 [23.81%]
8 [19.05%]
1 [2.38%]
2 [4.76%]
1 [2.38%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 21:59
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^They're good but I wouldn't call them 'great'...I reserve that adjective  for bands like Crimson.  ;)
btw...I accidentally hit option 3 so the 2nd option should have another vote.
Embarrassed 
ha ha I did the same thing when I voted. Maybe it was a Freudian slip.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 00:51
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^They're good but I wouldn't call them 'great'...I reserve that adjective  for bands like Crimson.  Wink

I'd call Barclay James Harvest "great", but I have another adjective that I reserve for King Crimson. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 01 2020 at 01:18
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 02:11
BJH are a strange one for me, "Once Again" would be in my top 5 prog albums but the others I've listened to vary from "ok" to "meh" and I can't really explain why. I do go back to them from time to time and will continue to try, so I've gone "other".
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 05:09
Option 2 . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 05:12
Option 1 for me, great band. 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 06:49
Great band, amazing music.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 09:21
BJH is one of the few bands whose live albums I prefer over their studio albums, especially their 1974 Live, but also Berlin... Hesitated between the 2nd and 3rd option but since at least two miscast their votes I'll go for option 2.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 09:22
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

BJH is one of the few bands whose live albums I prefer over their studio albums, especially their 1974 Live, but also Berlin... Hesitated between the 2nd and 3rd option but since at least two miscast their votes I'll go for option 2.

Thanks for helping to balance things out. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 09:37
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

BJH is one of the few bands whose live albums I prefer over their studio albums, especially their 1974 Live, but also Berlin...
I agree. I prefer their live albums too and two of my favourites are Glasnost and The Ultimate Anthology. Thumbs Up
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 10:14
Not a fan, but I've heard worse :)
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 18:44
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

There are similar to the Moody Blues in their early albums and got some flak for that. Very trippy Mellotron drenched stuff. A very good if not great band.

I think they had a song called something like poor man's moody blues ... but I have to look.

An interviewer called them the poor man's Moody Blues in an interview with John Lees. He then wrote a song with that title and put it on the Gone to Earth album. Very much like Nights in White Satin, deliberately. Let none say he has no sense of humor.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 04:38
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 05:14
I have most of their albums and they are all good to very good, but their live albums are all excellent (especially the 1974 one which is one of the best live albums of all time).
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 05:33
Agree on the live albums (they were always a great live act) but Live Tapes is my favorite of the live albums.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 00:03
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

They're great! I love Barclay James Harvest and I listened to all of their albums recently, including their later incarnations: Barclay James Harvest featuring Les Holroyd and Barclay James Harvest Through the Eyes of John Lees. They've never made a bad album in my opinion. I wrote this albums tribute to Barclay James Harvest some time ago for a Top 7 BJH songs thread:-

BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST are the featured artist this time around, as we ONCE AGAIN list our favourite songs and delve into the history of BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST & OTHER SHORT STORIES. Who can forget the cute picture of  BABY JAMES HARVEST poking his head out of a plant pot on their fourth album cover. Here at ProgArchives, EVERYONE IS EVERYBODY ELSE in the progosphere, where the classic albums of BJH appear like TIME HONOURED GHOSTS from time to time. The eighth month of the year was OCTOBER ON the ancient Roman calendar, making it the perfect name for the eighth Barclay James Harvest album. The band took a short break, but weren't GONE TO EARTH for long though before returning  with their best-selling album of all time in 1977. In the XII Kingdoms of Prog, Barclay James Harvest reigned supreme and the EYES OF THE UNIVERSE were upon them in 1982 for their CONCERT FOR THE PEOPLE IN BERLIN. This landmark gig for BJH preceded a TURN OF THE TIDE in the Cold War when a RING OF CHANGES were on the way and the old Soviet leaders became VICTIMS OF CIRCUMSTANCE, following the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991. The world became a safer place with no more FACE TO FACE Cold War confrontations between East and West with the ever-present threat of nuclear Armageddon hanging over the world. History didn't end in 1991 though, and in the prophetic words of Messrs Emerson, Lake & Palmer, WELCOME TO THE SHOW that never ends, because there were new threats on the way in a new century. CAUGHT IN THE LIGHT of a beautifully clear morning on 11th September 2001, an airliner flew low over New York City..... The RIVER OF DREAMS would soon be shattered forever!

All Barclay James Harvest albums in BLOCK CAPITALS in chronological order of release.

ClapClap 

Great Band

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 00:49
Not familiar enough with BJH to choose enything else than 'Not familiar enough'.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 13:29
I respect them, but not my cup of tea
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 14:25
Interestingly enough I heard the song "paper wings" today on the deep tracks channel on Siriusxm in my car. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 04 2020 at 17:19
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 16:37
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Interestingly enough I heard the song "paper wing" today on the deep tracks channel on Siriusxm in my car. 

very neat, and that's a really good song, one of two collaborations between Holroyd and Pritchard on that album, both of which are very good

Edited by kenethlevine - December 04 2020 at 16:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 16:43
Barclay James Harvest are much more than just a Poor Man's Moody Blues. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>