Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

For Book Experts - "1984"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What is your rating for this book?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [58.06%]
13 [41.94%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For Book Experts - "1984"
    Posted: February 23 2021 at 23:28
Definitely read it, studied it for English Literature Classes...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 10:48
I don't think Yevgeni Zamyatin's "We" has been mentioned yet? 

I've read it 15-20 years ago and don't remember much of it, so this discussion was a welcome reminder to revisit it. Along with many other books mentioned here. Thanks! 
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 18:15
Arthur C. Clarke: Childhood's End
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 09:06
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Greatest horror novel ever written.

Hi,

Nahhh ... that honor probably goes to the Warren Report according to another illustratti!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2020 at 15:26
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Umberto Eco actually is a main character in a novel by French author Laurent Binet called "The Seventh Function of Language" which I highly recommend. He appears in the last third of the novel only but is central there.

Interesting!
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 08:55
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Golden Apples of the Sun was the first book of his i read when i was about 12/13 along with the Earthsea books by Ursula le Guin and Michael Moorcock's Elric books.. We lived in the middle of nowhere and had a travelling library which was a great help to a spotty youth who prefered state was to lose himself in books.

I book i have re-visted recently (and still find it hard work but definately worth it) is Olaf Stapledon's 'Star Maker'.. 

And of course Doris Lessing's Canopus in Argos quintet... SmileClap

Yeah, that is a dense reading... Good one!

Made me remember of another one I own by O. S.: 'Last and First Men'. If I'm lucky it should still be around on some box. Though not as good/recognized as 'Star Maker' since I remember less about it I think I'll dig into that one again.

To OP,

Yes! definitely read it. You know, I see dystopian works in general for their importance and crucial value in not repeating the mistakes of the past, more as a kind of didactic exercise if you will, in that they take a phenomenon, in this case 'State' control and propaganda and, based on real experiences in the XX Century, isolate it and take it to its ultimate consequences, so that you can know it, study it, be able to recognize it and hopefully avoid it.

Others related that come to mind or that I remember fondly are: Kafka's 'Metamorphosis' and Romanian Constantin Virgil Gheorghiu's 'The 25th Hour'.

satanellus View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote satanellus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 16:06
The themes of 1984 continue to resonate. Definitely worth the read.

Not sure how this thread has gone so far without mentioning Rick Wakeman.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 20:11
Hi,

I wish I was better "read" on these things ... I'm quietly embarrassed since so much of the stuff mentioned I was not able to read ... not knowing English enough to enjoy a good book from 15 to 25 at least, which didn't allow me to do well enough in my studies to get into the University until fall of 1978, just to give you an idea ... it took me 13 years, and countless failed Geometry, and Calculus classes because I could not understand anything!

But some of the better known I did read, slow as heck as I had to figure out a lot of the content and words!

1984 was easy and sometime in the 70's I even did sound and lights for a production of it at SBCC ... and that kinda gave me my slight understanding of 1984.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 06:09
For those who see rural life as ideal/utopic; I recommend the novel Cold Comfort Farm. No spoilers. Just read it, hahah.

BTW I love both country life and city (including metropol) life; because from my birth forward, I've experienced both in long and short terms, in turns. I'm happy to have the chance to know their pros and cons. Now, I'm at my summer place in winter. But it is not actually "winter" as the weather is very warm. Anyway... Good to be in a sparsely populated area during the Covid-19 thing.

Utopias and dystopias... Generally fun. Sometimes scary... Not anymore for me. They only serve as means to grant us/me our/my precious "temporary suspension of disbelief" fun. It is always a plus to get some real benefit while having fun, though.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 05:55
^ I second that. It's not only a good novel, it is quite funny too!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 05:46
Umberto Eco actually is a main character in a novel by French author Laurent Binet called "The Seventh Function of Language" which I highly recommend. He appears in the last third of the novel only but is central there.

Edited by BaldFriede - December 13 2020 at 05:50

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 19:55
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I get that, and of course there is a place for evaluation of artistic merit, scientific merit and so on. It's the cocksure attitude of some critics (both academic and armchair) that gets up my nose who I think arrogantly make claims instead of presenting a nuanced thesis. A thesis can lay down a framework of evaluation and come to a valid conclusion (with sound reasoning) without stating it in no uncertain terms. I like the scientific epistemology where conclusions are tentative, open to new evidence and re-evaluation, and check for bias.

There are legitimate ways to approach the evaluation of art, but many critics of art don't seem to be open-minded enough, are too confident in their assertions and too sure of their conclusions.

There is a canon of greatest (that which many have recognised), and if there was a more skilled opera composer of the 19th Century than Wagner and Verdi that wouldn't make it greatest (greatest has various connotations and requires recognition). In the future another opera composer my get more recognition and be listed amongst those greats. I rather think of how certain Hollywood cinema and directors wwere re-appraised by certain French intellectuals and found to be very worthy of merit in its own right.

Now I'm confident that 1984 would be considered a great work by many intellectuals, and not just for the ideas, but I think the rather prosaic style, which I think suits the work rather then lessens it, might lower it for some. I wonder how Jane Austen would have written that? I think James Joyce would have done a good job, not sure about James Baldwin. ;)

My issue is with those who are cocksure, and those who perhaps lack the creativity to think outside of a certain orthodoxy. We all have our biases, and what others have taught us to value biases us, and this can become self-perpetuating. A new outlook may come along which throws standard thinking on its head (at least in some circles).

I would be very sceptical about claims of none in these cases. Ultimately certainty is a concern of mine (especially ultimate certainty lol), as one will remember from certain others things I've written such as in the Bertrand Russell topic.

Greg,
1984 has earned a safe place in the history of twentieth century literature, I just say that it is a novel where inventive, intellectual merits are even higher than literary ones. That is, 1984, or Orwell, are not in the top 5-10 works, or writers, of the century but still close.

James Baldwin is a writer of contents, rather than style, and in Italy he is respected but certainly not considered among the great of the twentieth century. Neither he nor the other African American writers, and I am a little intolerant about this because I love African American literature, and in my opinion in Italy they exceed in judgments based on style. Among my favorite novels are:

Go, tell it to the mountains (James Baldwin)

Native Son (Richard Wright)

Uncle Tom's sons (Richard Wright)

Invisible Man (Ralph Ellison)

Ellison is considered more than Wright and Baldwin from critics, and do you know why? Because Saul Bellow wrote the introduction to his novel ;-)

Edited by jamesbaldwin - December 12 2020 at 19:55
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 19:00
I get that, and of course there is a place for evaluation of artistic merit, scientific merit and so on. It's the cocksure attitude of some critics (both academic and armchair) that gets up my nose who I think arrogantly make claims instead of presenting a nuanced thesis. A thesis can lay down a framework of evaluation and come to a valid conclusion (with sound reasoning) without stating it in no uncertain terms. I like the scientific epistemology where conclusions are tentative, open to new evidence and re-evaluation, and check for bias.

There are legitimate ways to approach the evaluation of art, but many critics of art don't seem to be open-minded enough, are too confident in their assertions and too sure of their conclusions.

There is a canon of greatest (that which many have recognised), and if there was a more skilled opera composer of the 19th Century than Wagner and Verdi that wouldn't make it greatest (greatest has various connotations and requires recognition). In the future another opera composer my get more recognition and be listed amongst those greats. I rather think of how certain Hollywood cinema and directors wwere re-appraised by certain French intellectuals and found to be very worthy of merit in its own right.

Now I'm confident that 1984 would be considered a great work by many intellectuals, and not just for the ideas, but I think the rather prosaic style, which I think suits the work rather then lessens it, might lower it for some. I wonder how Jane Austen would have written that? I think James Joyce would have done a good job, not sure about James Baldwin. ;)

My issue is with those who are cocksure, and those who perhaps lack the creativity to think outside of a certain orthodoxy. We all have our biases, and what others have taught us to value biases us, and this can become self-perpetuating. A new outlook may come along which throws standard thinking on its head (at least in some circles).

I would be very sceptical about claims of none in these cases. Ultimately certainty is a concern of mine (especially ultimate certainty lol), as one will remember from certain others things I've written such as in the Bertrand Russell topic.

Edited by Logan - December 12 2020 at 19:02
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 18:29
It is clear, Greg, that everyone has their own opinions on art, but the work of music, literary and artistic critics is to make judgments.

Umberto Eco became famous in Italy for having created a literary group that crushed a lot of literature considered classical and proposed an avant-garde style. Only when he became an elderly man began writing novels, having great commercial success. But he has suffered a retaliation: most of the Italian critics have crushed his novels (while appreciating his work as a critic, semiologist, essayist).

In Italy, very few critics appreciate The Name of the Rose or Foucault's Pendulum. I read the Name of the Rose when I was 20, and I liked it very much (I liked Foucault's Pendulum, but not so much), but I don't know today if I would consider it among the best Italian novels of the twentieth century. Take Hermann Hesse too: most young people like it (I loved it), but if you start reading him after 40 it's harder to like it so much.

Consider that I come from Italy, and in Italy the critics have always been very very demanding, especially on aspects concerning style, writing, composition.

Everyone has his own tastes, you have the records, the books, the films that have marked your life, but the critic's job is to make a judgment that does not concern your tastes, it's the opposite that saying I like it, I don't like it, it is a work that expressly concerns making value judgments, and deciding who are the greats of an era and who are those who are good, perhaps, who have been successful, but who are not among the greatest. The history of music, literature and cinema is dotted with authors who study themselves for their historical importance, but who today's critics can consider inferior to others.

No critic or historian of music has doubts that Mozart is one of the greats and that he looks down on Salieri. But maybe you like Salieri very much. Perhaps some critics also like  Salieri very much but say that Salieri is not one of the greats.
No critic or historian of music has any doubts that in the nineteenth century the greatest authors of opera were Wagner and Verdi. So, you, or me, or the critic, another author may like it very much, but if you have to be a critic, you say who the greatest are, based not on subjectivity but on a judgment that you have formed independently from your tastes.

Then, obviously, no one is obliged to be a critic or to follow the critic judgement, and I myself sometimes consider some critical judgments not related to the pleasure of enjoying art, that is, sometimes there are works written more to have a good critical judgment than for pleasure, and then those are called "academic".

Edited by jamesbaldwin - December 12 2020 at 18:34
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 17:56
I wouldn't readily compare Orwell to those others, each can be taken on its own merits.

I have enjoyed reading Umberto Eco (especially Foucault's Pendulum) but I love Orwell's prose, characterisation and imagery. There was a time that I planned to become a film critic (though more from an ideological/ philosophical/ sociological and historic angle) but I take issue with claims of excellence and quality even from the most talented commonly. He's not even from the same background. There's a kind of patronising, arrogant didacticism that comes from some that make similar claims of merit. Sometimes one is comparing apples with oranges instead of trying to appreciate a work on its own merits (of course we compare), and one may not understand quite where that author has come from. For me, the prose fits the story brilliantly (and it might help that I have a significant English background, and a certain sort of English background).

I often take issue with those who make claims of excellence while not recognising the subjectivity of it. I can understand one not thinking of it as great literature in certain classic styles, and Blair (aka Orwell) was a journalist (and a critic and essayist too) and that journalistic style comes through in much of his work to me.   A lot of criticism is far too sure of itself, subjective opinions masquerading as truth writ large (I think that notions should be open to re-assessment, and approached with humility). I favour agnosticism and take issue with much orthodoxy. I wish for instance that the ratings at PA had purely subjective explanations, and I have trouble with quantifying art. A lot of critics are up their own arses... one might say. ;) So sure of themselves, so confident in their beliefs, and so very arrogant in certain cases.

Now I expect Eco was nuanced in his views and I wouldn't judge Eco without reading his whole diatribe, or essay. Anyway, I seem to think we had this discussion before (or something very similar).

Some of my favourites even if not great literature:

Philip K. Dick - Ubik and Dr. Bloodmoney
Kurt Vonnegut - Breakfast of Champions, Sirens of Titan (most recommend Slaughterhouse 5 for this topic)*
Cormac McCarthy - The Road
Kazuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go
Margaret Atwood - Oryx and Crake and Year of the Flood
Stanislaw Lem - Also Sprach Golem
George Orwell - 1984
Aldous Huxley - The Island
Isaac Asimov - The Gods Themselves
Arturo Perez-Reverte - The Club Dumas
Jose Saramago - Blindness
Umberto Eco - Foucault's Pendulum
John Irving - The World According to Garp
Franz Kafka - The Metamorphosis
Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange
Stephen King and Peter Straub - The Talisman

Of course you can agree with him, and others can feel differently. I'm more comfortable about talking about what I like rather than what I think is great (and there are certain literary conventions and expectations). I know that none of my stories would be considered great literature. Ultimately, I don;t personally care if someone is deemed to have the literary talent, I just care how it affects me, and 1984 is one of those novels that profoundly affected me (as did more modern ones such as The Road and Never Let Me Go). Dick is often considered to be a pulp writer, yet his stories have really affected me more than various literary greats, and often that is reconsidered and an author(auteur) is re-evaluated and canonised by establishment.

For me the writing style and word choice fits 1984 so well.

EDIT: * wow, I sometimes type of words so badly.

By the way, I do hope that the OP reads 1984 and chimes in ere too long. I'd love to read the impressions of someone who is new to it. Love, hate, meh, I don't mind. Sharing is caring....

Edited by Logan - December 12 2020 at 18:29
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 17:12
I have rated 4 stars and I explain why. 

I read the book at 18, and I liked it very much. Especially the final interrogation. In some parts it actually seemed heavy and unclear to me. I have read the translation, ok. I am convinced, today, that reading it again, I would not like it very much. And I explain why. 

You will know Umberto Eco, the famous Italian writer of The Name of the Rose. Here, he read the English text and preface the book, and praised Orwell in various respects: creativity, imagination, the ability to create a new world, the ability to devise a negative utopia, the ability to predict the future and to dig into society to extrapolate some values ​​and negative values ​​on the basis of which to warn against a future like 1984, the ability to create a literary genre. And undoubtedly 1984 made history much more than the other negative utopias of the twentieth century. 

Well, I agree with Umberto Eco from all these points of view, but Eco also said another thing, namely that from a strictly literary point of view, the book was not excellent, Orwell, however good, does not have the literary talent of the great of the Novecento (Kafka, Mann, Musil, Proust, Svevo, for example). The uniqueness of 1984 lies more in Orwell's imagination, creativity, intelligence rather than his literary quality.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 11:43
I questioned how much it related at the time, but I almost mentioned Blindness, I should have mentioned it, fits the topic well, and is one of my very favourite reads of the past 15 or so years, not that I’ve read a great many novels in that time. Of the modern ones, Blindness, Never Let Me Go, The Road, Oryx and Crake and I think Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-Reverte particularly stand out. I don’t read as much now in terms of books due to eye issues. For a light read, I also read Good Omens in that time.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 07:33
I notice that most reading suggestions are for books that were written in English. But there are so many outstanding books written in other languages, including dystopias. Here are two dystopian novels by German authors that I highly recommend (and that were translated into English):

"Grand Solo for Anton" by Herbert Rosendorfer. Anton L., a neurotic and rather unpleasant little man, wakes to a strangely quiet morning. Gradually and with increasing fear and confusion he discovers that all other humans seem to have vaporized sometime in the night. Rosendorfer is one of my favourite authors; I especially love his satirical novel "Briefe in die chinesische Vergangenheit" ("Letters back to Ancient China").

"Blindness" by José Saramago. The story of an unexplained mass epidemic of blindness afflicting nearly everyone in an unnamed city, and the social breakdown that swiftly follows.

Edited by BaldFriede - December 12 2020 at 07:38

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 02:53
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ I love Bradbury's style. My favourite of his growing up was The Martian Chronicles,by the way. I love his short stories.

By the way, not mentioning this as something terribly 1984, but a very favourite of mine in the sci-fi realm is Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, but not everyone will grok it.

Golden Apples of the Sun was the first book of his i read when i was about 12/13 along with the Earthsea books by Ursula le Guin and Michael Moorcock's Elric books.. We lived in the middle of nowhere and had a travelling library which was a great help to a spotty youth who prefered state was to lose himself in books.

I book i have re-visted recently (and still find it hard work but definately worth it) is Olaf Stapledon's 'Star Maker'.. 

And of course Doris Lessing's Canopus in Argos quintet... SmileClap

I loved The Golden Apples of the Sun (beautiful imagery, wonderful short stories -- poetic...), and read those Earthsea books to one of my young children (those had a big effect on me and stay with me). You've given me some further reading to do.

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Well, there is this: ;)

1984 is quite horrific and I thought moving, and brilliantly put together. My wife found it too depressing even though she loved The Road by Cormac McCarthy and got me to read it, and Atwood's Oryx and Crake. Now the Road is a great novel that deals with a horrific situation (gave me nightmares).

While not strictly a horror genre novel, The Lord of the Flies is great and is one that might well appeal to may of those who like 1984. For horror genre, I don't mind saying that I love lots of Stephen King. And Philip K Dick's Ubik might be called a kind of sci-fi horror, and I find that excellent.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 20:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>