Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

jethro tull ( Heavy horses )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: jethro tull ( Heavy horses )
    Posted: December 04 2020 at 17:29
I brought heavy horses on cassette for about 7 bucks, some time ago and it stayed with me till i got the cd recently.The cd showed me it was a more of a rock album than a folk album that i heard on tape, the two songs it almost becomes a metal album NO LULLABY and HEAVY HORSES are very,very heavy arena songs,the best song for me is the rather quirky but very english poppy MOTHS ,the closer is the most anthemic WEATHERCOCK is a classic .The overall feel on this record is to me a later songs from the wood towards a different future England,thanks for taking the time to read grant 3 stars for me.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 22:20
Love Rover, mouse police, acres, moths, brown mouse and Hard times 1 and 2. Great year for Tull
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 23:40
I don't get Arena heavy from the title cut at all.  Easily 4 star album to me thanks to title cut and the ones dr prog mentions.  The mouse police is fun too because of course it's about CATS!
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 03:18
To be fair, there are two songs I consider merely "good", other seven are nothing short of fantastic though. Bonus tracks we have today are also better than what I expected.
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 04:58
Favourite Tull album for me. I can't complain about any track here, I think they nailed them all. One of the albums that when mentioned bring most music up immediately in my head. I probably have to look out for the bonus tracks as I only know the original version (I'm not generally keen on buying new editions with what bands originally decided to not put on the album). For me this phase of their work is most essentially what they are about. Songs from the Wood and Stormwatch are also great (Songs from the Wood took some more time but has finally also clicked).
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 08:53
Love HH. Top 3 Tull for me a,long with TAAB and Minstrel. Every track is great. The Steve Wilson remix is fantastic.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 17:13
Another great folk prog album. No Lullaby does seem to have a heavy edge to it, but I don't think I'd call it an arena rocker. Lol
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 18:30
SteveG i only meant after listening to the live album BURSTING OUT that,s what i meant about arena sound NO lullaby sounded like to me at the time,after listening to heavy horses the actual album ,i now realize i am wrong thanks steve

Edited by grantman - December 06 2020 at 18:31
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 22:54
The remix is 5 star. The sound is excellent.
Bonus material not up there with Stormwatch, Aqualung, Passion and Warchild but overall it’s first class

Edited by dr prog - December 07 2020 at 11:59
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 08:36
Good Tull lp...but I was hoping for Songs -part 2 ,and it  doesn't deliver that  for me and the lyrics on Horses are a  bit 'twee' at times. 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 09:16
Dr wu i think it was the beginning of dark times for the group ,i think ian took up salmon farming at the time.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 09:41
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

Dr wu i think it was the beginning of dark times for the group ,i think ian took up salmon farming at the time.

Yes, he became a capitalist...Wink
But after Horses and Stormwatch Tull was never the same for me and I basically gave up on them.
Roots To Branches has a few nice things but classic Tull ended after 1979.
And I still reach for the early ones like Stand Up ,Benefit, and Aqualung when I'm in the mood for Tull. I listened to those when I started  college and they were part of my exploration period and still resonate with me far more than the later 'proggy' things.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 12:04
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Good Tull lp...but I was hoping for Songs -part 2 ,and it  doesn't deliver that  for me and the lyrics on Horses are a  bit 'twee' at times. 

It’s better than songs by a nose
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 14:37
It's better than three stars. Four at least!!!
The Prog Corner
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 14:44
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

It's better than three stars. Four at least!!!

Whoever gave it 3 stars doesn’t have an ear for quality
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 16:24
"No Lullaby" is amazing. John Glascock was Tull's best bassist. The second of Tull's timeless folk trilogy. I love me some HH.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 16:34
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

"No Lullaby" is amazing. John Glascock was Tull's best bassist. The second of Tull's timeless folk trilogy. I love me some HH.

You got the remixes? I must be the only lucky one. Stormwatch has a cool long version of Orion and a song called Urban apocalypse which sounds like Gentle Giant
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 17:22
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

You got the remixes?

I sure do! Clap

I must be the only lucky one. Stormwatch has a cool long version of Orion and a song called Urban apocalypse which sounds like Gentle Giant

Not this time, buddy. SFTW, HH and Stormwatch are my favorite Tull albums! Thumbs Up
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 18:45

You got the remixes?

I sure do! Clap

I must be the only lucky one. Stormwatch has a cool long version of Orion and a song called Urban apocalypse which sounds like Gentle Giant

Not this time, buddy. SFTW, HH and Stormwatch are my favorite Tull albums! Thumbs Up

So you have all 3 in book format? Lol
Hard to choose between them. Stormwatch wins for most cool tracks but Horses and Songs have better sound. I love the Aqua, Thick and Passion books just as much though
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 18:58

So you have all 3 in book format? Lol

I sure do!! Big smileWink No way was I not buying those!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>