Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Strawbs album due Feb. 2021.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 18:25
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

^ you could base the review just on the non bonus tracks, but then you have to factor in that it's only a 39 minute album.  Smile,  It's weird that the last song, sung by Cronk, seems to be well liked even by critics that aren't big into the album, but it doesn't do anything for me, at least not yet.  But "Better Days" is truly dreadful.  When Strawbs try to do Brazilian, rather than reflecting their eclectic interests it sounds like a parody
Hmm. If I had to guess as to why they like the Cronk tune, it's probably because it sounds more like Oasis then the Strawbs!!

Edited by SteveG - March 15 2021 at 05:05
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 18:45
very good review Steve!  Captures the key points succinctly
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 21:43
I'm here enjoying Steve's review while listening to the album and thinking that 39 minutes can be enough, if they are well used (which is the case).
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2021 at 05:31
Thanks my friends. As I stated before, the CD bonus tracks were a problem as they couldn't be ignored.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2021 at 10:30
Excellent review Ken. It really hits on all the key points!

Edited by SteveG - March 21 2021 at 10:34
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2021 at 17:15
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Thanks Steve...it occurred to me after that I barely talk about the lyrical strength of the album, but when I went back it didn't seem like there was a good place to put it
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2021 at 21:34
A great review indeed Ken, full of detail and understanding of the band's career!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 07:57
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Thanks Steve...it occurred to me after that I barely talk about the lyrical strength of the album, but when I went back it didn't seem like there was a good place to put it
Tbh, I found the lyrics a bit vague coming form Cousins so I just bypassed them. But it had absolutely no negative effect on me. I got the gist of what he was saying or feeling. I think enough has been written for people to know what the topic of the album is, so perhaps referencing the lyrics really isn't needed.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 08:19
and the lyrics are, as expected, quite poetic, even if at times vague as you say
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 09:18
Very true about the poetic lyrics. Perhaps Dave is getting more cerebral in his old age. Lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123