Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis: Calling All Stations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis: Calling All Stations
    Posted: December 08 2020 at 10:14
A friend recommended this album to me recently, but this thread's Not About Us, it's about Genesis' much-derided Calling All Stations album, featuring Scottish singer Ray Wilson. I know There Must Be Some Other Way of saying this, but I'm actually beginning to like the album. I know the album's as dodgy as sailing down the Congo in a leaky boat during Uncertain Weather on an Alien Afternoon, but it's one of those strange albums that's on The Dividing Line between being good and bad, If That's What You Need to Hear. Call me an old fool, but One Man's Fool is another man's saviour, or so they say. Anyway, that's enough Small Talk for now, because it's time to feature my favourite track from the album, which is: Shipwrecked! Cry Broken Heart

All songs in Blue highlights from the Calling All Stations album

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 08 2020 at 10:15
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 11:30
Oh no no no; some albums by prog bands straying into a genre they can't tackle convincingly at least have an unintentional comedic element to them, but to see one of the greatest prog bands humiliating themselves by playing this primitive, colourless and utterly lifeless watered-down grunge crap is depressing to the point where I’ve never been able to get through this album in one sitting. To put this out under the Genesis moniker should be a crime; avoid unless you’re a big Nickelback fan.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 11:34
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Oh no no no; some albums by prog bands straying into a genre they can't tackle convincingly at least have an unintentional comedic element to them, but to see one of the greatest prog bands humiliating themselves by playing this primitive, colourless and utterly lifeless watered-down grunge crap is depressing to the point where I’ve never been able to get through this album in one sitting. To put this out under the Genesis moniker should be a crime; avoid unless you’re a big Nickelback fan.

I can't stand Nickelback and their vocalist. Are you sure you listened to Ray Wilson?

Had this album been released under another name, like maybe Banks, Rutherford & Wilson, or something else, it would have got less hate. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 11:35
Peter Gabriel = David Lee Roth.

Phil Collins = Sammy Hagar.

Ray Wilson = Gary Cherone.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 11:37
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I agree, the album sounds nothing like the Genesis we all know and love, but if I judge the album on its own merits, without thinking of it as a Genesis album, then it's not bad at all, or at least, that's what I keep telling myself anyway.  Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 11:39
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I disagree

Hagar was a better singer than Roth
I think the same with Gabriel being better for me than Collins.

Both Wilson and Cherone are both great singers, and it's not their fault the albums they were on flopped. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 11:42
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I disagree

That figures. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 11:43

Both Wilson and Cherone are both great singers, and it's not their fault the albums they were on flopped. 
I might agree with you if I knew who Gary Cherone is. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 11:54
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Gary Cherone was the singer of Extreme and the third Van Halen singer, on the album strangely called Van Halen III in 1998. A rather weak album and poor Gary got the blame. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 12:17

Gary Cherone was the singer of Extreme and the third Van Halen singer, on the album strangely called Van Halen III in 1998. A rather weak album and poor Gary got the blame. 
...In just the same way as poor Ray Wilson got the blame for the Calling All Stations album. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 12:18

...In just the same way as poor Ray Wilson got the blame for the Calling All Stations album. Smile

yes, kinda similar situation. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 12:22
Are you starting to see the connections?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 12:27
I noticed in the credits for Calling All Stations that Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford were named as Anthony Banks and Michael Rutherford. It's almost as if they didn't want to be associated with the album, in the same way as Mike Oldfield distanced himself from his inferior Heaven's Open album by naming himself Michael Oldfield on the album cover. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 12:34

I noticed in the credits for Calling All Stations that Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford were named as Anthony Banks and Michael Rutherford. It's almost as if they didn't want to be associated with the album, in the same way as Mike Oldfield distanced himself from his inferior Heaven's Open album by naming himself Michael Oldfield on the album cover. Smile

just checked the CD and it says Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks. I don't know what you mean. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 12:38

just checked the CD and it says Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks. I don't know what you mean. 
If you take a look at the credits at the end of the Shipwrecked video above, it says Anthony Banks and Michael Rutherford. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 12:42

If you take a look at the credits at the end of the Shipwrecked video above, it says Anthony Banks and Michael Rutherford. Smile

I don't watch videos so...
They used their full names in the past, I don't think it because they want to detach themselves from the album. 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 12:49
I only know the title track because I borrowed a Genesis triple CD from the library years ago and it was on it.  I enjoy select post 1980 songs by Genesis and Calling all Stations is one of those
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 13:56

I don't suppose too many people are going to be fooled by that. Wink

As others have said, if they hadn't brought it out under the Genesis name it would have had a better reaction. It's an ok album but it's not really Genesis.

At least it's better than Love Bitch.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 14:01
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I don't suppose too many people are going to be fooled by that. Wink

As others have said, if they hadn't brought it out under the Genesis name it would have had a better reaction. It's an ok album but it's not really Genesis.
Yes, it's more like a Ray Wilson album with two members of Genesis as his backing band. Smile
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 14:04
There's something comical about progarchives starting a thread on the worst, most bottom of the barrel, no semblance of prog, Genesis album rather than discussing some new and exciting prog releases. Anyways, anyone here check out the new Ocean Collective album? Pretty good stuff.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>