Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lunatic Soul - Through Shaded Woods - How good?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lunatic Soul - Through Shaded Woods - How good?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lunatic Soul - Through Shaded Woods - How good?
    Posted: December 11 2020 at 00:29
Through Shaded Woods currently has an average of 4.25 with 98 ratings.

I've been a fan of Riverside for a long time and I've enjoyed the solo project Lunatic Soul too. His latest album is in the same vein and my first reaction was that it was perhaps not distinct enough and not bringing that much new on the table. To my ears it falls in line with the latest albums by Riverside and Lunatic Soul, and I wouldn't expect it to rank that high.

Am I just not getting it or are the ratings affected by many fans of Riverside and Lunatic Soul giving it 5 stars?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 00:39
That’s pretty much how it goes on PA. Initially you get all the fanboys and the 5 stars...then you get the other more sensible views down the road. Basically the same thing that happens every time a new album surfaces...although if it’s pushed too hard on the front page by newly registered members, we often see some form of backlash.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 03:47
I've played it a few times and it's pretty good, I wouldn't rate it over 4 stars, maybe a 3.5.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 08:06
It's an album that goes from amazing at the start to 'bored now' by the end. 3.5 is about right. Just not enough ideas to sustain it.
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 08:27
It'll probably go down with more ratings.
Usually the initial ratings are from people which are fan of the band/artist, making the album to gain notoriety, but then people who don't like the artist that much or don't know them previously start giving more modest ratings and the average gets lower. Also, there's the usual backlash from the haters too LOL

As for myself, it's a really good album and my favorite Lunatic Soul so far. It's short, but nowdays this is a positive thing tbh. There's the deluxe edition with more tracks and tbh, even when they're good they kinda kill the flow of the album.

Anyway, as far as average rating goes, I don't see this going for more than 4 stars in the next weeks.
 Post Reply Post Reply