Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Here There my new concept, "Faust und Netflix"!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Here There my new concept, "Faust und Netflix"!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote france_mala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here There my new concept, "Faust und Netflix"!
    Posted: December 18 2020 at 03:31
Hi all!

Out today my new LP, I don't know if it's correctly prog, but maybe crossover, it's an experimental soundtrack,,,.

I'm so curious to know your feedback!

What do you think about "Faust und Netflix"?

Thank you! :)

Let me know what you tink about it! Thanksss :) :) :)

I copy and past the description of my label with google translate...

"Upon hearing Gretchen's voice, Faust decides to take his own life. There is neither soul nor body, only Gretchen and the innocence of the world remain" ... Can you imagine what Goethe's Faust would be like in 2020 in a TV series produced and distributed by Netflix? Faust und Netflix is ​​a cinematic soundtrack, a visionary album of 14 tracks composed by Francesco Malaguti that tell an alternative Faust in which Margherita (Gretchen) is the protagonist and heroine of the story. Perhaps human or perhaps gynoid, Gretchen will win over Faust and Mephistopheles in a dystopian world, both gothic and futuristic. The music of this imaginary TV series, between reminiscences of ancient music and strong industrial-noise influences, piece after piece outlines both the characters and the events in a breathtaking succession, without failing to mention the greats of the Italian soundtrack such as Moroder and Morricone. A 360-degree portrait of the multifaceted Bolognese instrumentalist and composer, who ranges from electronics to solo guitar with total ease and signs "Gretchen's tale" with the artistic producer Gerolamo Sacco, opening and closing of the disc.

(sorry for my english...)
france_mala View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote france_mala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2020 at 08:45
Anyone? Smile
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2020 at 11:51
Listening now.  Quite ambitious, enjoying the scope and professionalism.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2020 at 14:31
I very much like that and am seriously impressed.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 10:44
Hi,

A total WOW and incredible piece of work.

In this day and age when "new music" is often just another rock song, the same as all others, it was quite amazing to finally hear something that was totally different and deserves the accolades.

IF, and it is a big "IF", I have a side comment, it was that all the pieces of music were too short and I might even say that they were not developed far enough, but this is a personal comment and something that aligns with my classical music ideas more than it does with the "pop music" concept of the 3 minute song for it to be sold for 99 Cents ... but that is just a thought of mine, but I don't see how someone/anyone can take a concept and make little "songs" out of it, and then consider it important ... it's like the old college days, you went out and bought the small booklet that had all the "details" and "meanings" and "themes" of the book, and then you took the final and got a B! At least you did not spend 20 days reading Crime and Punishment, right? Always a reason ... and the same goes for the Commercial side of things in rock music ... making it all the same and having exactly the same format and drumming!

Hopefully, there is "more" in some of those pieces of music to make a full "opera" (so to speak -- I may be off some!), and then maybe, this can go a bit further and be appreciated a lot more ... right now, it is fantastic and a magnificent "sampler" ... and ... I WANT MORE.

This is, without a doubt, the best thing I have heard this year ... and for my tastes it deserves all the mentions possible ... although I would rather change the story a wee bit, and make it more modern, and less "symbolic" of something that we think is a great example of classic literature.

Excellent work ... wonderful listen for me!

Clap
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 11:08
Hi,

Can I please get a CD that is complete, or is all that is on the tube the whole thing? I would like to review this. It is a 5 ***** already from me btw! 

As I mentioned what is on the tube appears to be shortened and cut up ... and I would like to hear more ... IF THERE IS such a thing.

Edited by moshkito - January 01 2021 at 11:09
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote france_mala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 03:29
I say wow for your feedback, really thanks!

So ... the concept would consist of three medleys / suites ("classical", "electronic / industrial / noise" and the more prog rock one) each of 12-15 minutes, therefore with some cuts.
In reality the cuts are many, in the creative phase the compositions together exceeded two hours ...

What we decided with the artistic producer was to divide the suites into tracks to create the story of the Faust / Gretchen concept, in order to be able to "tell" it.
However, we also considered publishing the release as long original suites, but in the end we preferred to reformulate it by dividing it into 14 tracks to be able to create overture, endings, etc ...
It is more a choice of production than mine ... but it is a correct choice in the end, for various reasons ... I too, coming from prog, am used to long suites and so on, but we are also in 2020 and above all it is a cinematic work.
In addition to the three suites (divided) there is the sonata for harpsichord and the impromptu for guitar (also divided into two tracks).

I hope in the future to be able to do a "bonus release" with the extended versions, without cuts ...

On this work I worked a lot on the silences between sounds, consequently on polyphony, while on melodies and harmonies I tried to work on the emotions and sensations in its flow.

It is and remains a concept album to be listened to from start to finish, however it is thought of as a long suite / work and not as single tracks to be able to understand and live the experience in full, otherwise it loses meaning,
there is no "hit" or that most beautiful or least beautiful track, it is a single stream.

A bit as if "Amarok" (or other works by Mike Oldfield) were divided ...

In any case, thanks again for your appreciation, thanks again!
(and sorry for my english ...)

P.S.
Other feedbacks are welcome! :)

P.P.S.

Do you think I could ever appear as an artist on the site? Maybe like "Prog Related" and the like?

Thanks and happy new year and lots of prog for everyone! : D
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 11:11
Hi,

Thanks for the reply ... I can understand your thoughts, although for me as a progressive listener now for 50 years, the material that I enjoy the most is the one that is not cut up and is complete. I wish I could hear the whole thing, and not just bits and pieces ... but so be it. 

I'm not into the top ten, rock song thing ... where it is all 4 minutes and ciao baby! And it is considered progressive because of the sound, not the composition. Yours deserves to be known as a composition, but, I have to agree ... I'm not sure you will get as many buyers for the whole thing as you could single songs as it is right now ... but for me ... not a favorable experience, as it is very clear that it is cut up.

My opinion will remain that in its complete version it would do better, and that cut up is not going to give the listener the proper expression, and as you can see by the comments, it is not attracting replies. I'm sorry that it is so, but in this case I would make sure a download of the complete thing would be made available so the more serious progressive listeners, that are not into "songs" can appreciate this material. One of the replies is by someone that also writes a lot on foreign film as well as I do ... and his knowledge of it is probably way further up than mine!

Best of luck, but since there were not many replies (no surprise there!) ... hopefully it gets better ... but many of our friends here, don't always have an ear for the long material, and continually go for the "song" instead of the suites and the stuff that is more of a composition than a song in a recognizable format it.

Thanks for posting ... it was a wonderful listen all the same.

Edited by moshkito - January 16 2021 at 07:43
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote france_mala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 15:55
Hi all!!!

I'd add on Bandcamp all tracks in complete suite (first and last particularry).

I hope do you appreciate this!

Thanks! 

:)
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote france_mala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 15:57
?Sorry... the link! 

https://francescomalaguti.bandcamp.com/album/faust-und-netflix-full-suites-original-mix-and-demo

(Sorry but from mobile I can't using add link mode... so... copy and paste!)

Bye :)

Edited by france_mala - March 30 2021 at 15:59
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 16:07
I gave 3 of your songs a listen, from Youtube. Sorry, but I wasn't impressed. I don't want to be hard on you about the professionalism aspect (I don't know about your age, experiences etc. after all.); but this doesn't sound professional to my ears, either compositionally or sound wise. (I can overlook the latter, but not the first.) Also, the classical guitar playing was too much flawed in one of the songs.

Good luck with your endeavours, anyway.

Edited by Shadowyzard - March 30 2021 at 16:27
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 17:16
I certainly have to disagree. As an engineer and producer I find this very professionally produced. Your vocals are beautiful and the chorals are incredible. I'm curious where and on what software this was recorded.

I do think the ideas could be developed a little more, focusing on song structure to build the drama that I can hear behind the music. The lead vocals could be a little more up front in the mix.

Good job!
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 17:25
^ I'm a big fan of "lo-fi" too. I meant it doesn't sound "professional", and it is more of a talent issue than technical prowess methinks. And some talents, like this, can be improved. There was a South American guy who was 16 years old or so, but his outputs in the dungeon synth genre were sounding much more "professional" to my ears. There are also lots of musicians whose earlier works sound like crap, but they amazingly improve their music.

Anyway, everyone but me seems to enjoy the job here. So Francesco is likely on the right path. LOLWink

Edited by Shadowyzard - March 30 2021 at 17:32
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 02:18
Clickable link for those who don’t like to copy and paste:

I really like this, and don’t understand at all how it sounds unprofessional. But I guess we all hear things differently. This is really good! Possibly the most impressive thing I have heard from someone flogging their wares on this site. It reminds me a lot of Igorrr, but with all the more extreme aspects removed.

The only reason I am not buying this is because I am currently out of work, and simply don’t have the money to spend on music.

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote france_mala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 02:36
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I gave 3 of your songs a listen, from Youtube. Sorry, but I wasn't impressed. I don't want to be hard on you about the professionalism aspect (I don't know about your age, experiences etc. after all.); but this doesn't sound professional to my ears, either compositionally or sound wise. (I can overlook the latter, but not the first.) Also, the classical guitar playing was too much flawed in one of the songs.

Good luck with your endeavours, anyway.

Hi, 

thanks for reply...

Grant me, where do you find "amateur" or "lo-fi" this production? 

It was produced by Gerolamo Sacco ("former" inventor of Gigi D'Agostino's "Lento Violento") (https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerolamo_Sacco) by the Miraloop Record Company. (https://www.miraloop.com/)
with so many of those synths and voices and an instrumentation that is professional is cheap (of course, "standard" in a pro studio of course, but it is not the home studio of the sixteen year old, that's why you lionk my Spotify and you can go and listen my youth DIY productions - http://open.spotify.com/artist/76UJiPhsSdvZtLC0aPXnPW?si=JHIxv45-TjmT0qvSGAYe_w).

The thing really intrigues me and interests me molot, every observation is obviously welcome (indeed!).
The point is that I don't understand and I'm curious, because the major Italian magazines have reviewed and criticized it, as a professional production (previous records refuse the request because it was still too lo-fi as you say)?

Mastering is dynamic and non-linear, we should start from this assumption. That is, it is what is "used" with classical music, to say and not on electronic music or rock.

Among other things, audio post production done by a well-known sound engineer from my city, Bologna.

Definitely the Bandcamp link which contains demos, but you listened on youtube ... so it really intrigues me.

On the musical aspect ... well, you may like it or you may not like it, fortunately, de gustibus non disputandum est (but why in your opinion?). On guitars you have you are totally right, I think so me too (really).

Anyway, thanks for your reply and have a nice day!

Francesco
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote france_mala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 02:44
Thanks for feedback about quality of production :)

The DAW is Ableton (mine) and StudioOne, but in studio/post production (I think) Sonar or Cakewalk (? I don't remember).

Just one thing ... there's only one singer (really
very good), opera singing and choirs are kontakt libraries... even if now I am working to carry it out with orchestra (project already in vogue and conductor Maestro Fabio Maestri is writing score with me), together with works from scratch, with the productions for others that I do to pay the rent (sic) and the record pop this summer ...

Thanks again! :)

Francesco

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 02:55
I started with the demos, and am now listening to the actual album. It’s not often I agree with Moshkito (though this is certainly not the first time), but I have to agree that the actual album suffers in comparison to the demos. If I had heard this first, I’m not sure I would even have kept listening. I definitely wouldn’t have wanted to hit the purchase button, the way I did with the demos. You mention cinematic, and I think that is the problem. The cuts you’ve made to the fuller suites to create this undoubtedly make the finished product more cinematic - but I don’t think that is necessarily better. When I can afford it, I’ll be buying the demos, but I don’t think I’ll be buying the actual album.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 04:18
@ Francesco

Thanks for taking my criticism in such a mature way. Thumbs Up

Nick (above me) said there are demos and an actual album. I'm not sure which one I listened to, first of all.

As I said, I wasn't seeking an "expensively produced" thing. I can even listen to "lo-fi" stuff and enjoy it (mind you, I didn't mean that yours is one of that kind).

But, it still doesn't sound professional to my ears. Like I tried to explain, sounding professional is a broader concept for me. It is like cooking a meal. A professional can cook a delicious meal even out of very cheap and little ingredients. Yours sound richly produced, indeed. But I'm not hearing a properly well done music.

Edited by Shadowyzard - March 31 2021 at 04:29
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 06:35
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Like I tried to explain, sounding professional is a broader concept for me. It is like cooking a meal. A professional can cook a delicious meal even out of very cheap and little ingredients.

Hehe... If this was supposed to be an explanation, you got me completely lost with this one: I have no idea what you mean. Also, I hear very properly well done music. No guitar wizardry, but it's not needed here and the playing itself is good enough.

I listened to the youtube playlist and to the Alterity demo on bandcamp. The latter sounds a bit too pompous to me overall and the techno part got me out of it, so I'm glad that the 14 tracks on YT give a much more balanced coherence between the more grandiloquent pieces and the more (acoustic) easy going pieces.
Overall, it has more an operatic quality than a cinematic quality, to my ears. I mean that it sounds more made for the stage than for a film (where the rich music would probably be too overwhelmingly present for the film itself - and I'm saying this also as a film professional). The sound production is great, although at some moments the - electronically generated? - drums are a bit to pompous to my liking (which is even more the case on the Alterity demo).
Also, more in the coherence of the work (the 14 pieces), I'm not entirely convinced by its dramatic structure: change of pace and atmosphere is not enough to create a coherent dramaturgy, and maybe this is where the biggest challenge lies... Now, I don't have the solution to this (I'm not a music professional) but maybe some tracks could be worked out to a bit longer pieces, which also allows for more dramatic development within those tracks, while keeping the shorter ones...

Overall, it is a good listen!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 06:48
^ I'll get no further on this... Perhaps I should... But I don't have the motivation for that right now... Elvis Presley. A professional and accomplished icon. For me, not... One of the biggest "fakes" in human history. A balloon filled with acrid non-talent gas, feeding upon the mediocrity of the crowds, Denzel Washington... One of the biggest fakes in history... Like Obama... Their all "cool air" are nothing but pretentiousness for me. I can give abundant similar examples. See, I'm a deviant. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>