Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 10 Albums We Love to Hate from 10 Artists We Love
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 Albums We Love to Hate from 10 Artists We Love

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 09:19
Originally posted by ledzepfan63 ledzepfan63 wrote:

hot space by queen is a good lp,yet misunderstoodBig smile

Guitarist Nuno Bettencourt cites Hot Space as one of Queen's better albums, and on a positive note, it includes Under Pressure too. Thumbs Up

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 09:12
Originally posted by ledzepfan63 ledzepfan63 wrote:

I don't know if "misunderstood" is the right word here to describe the album, I wouldn't say it's a good album and I've always liked it (if that makes sense LOL)
ledzepfan63 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ledzepfan63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 09:04
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 05:09
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

so 10 favorite prog artists, any genre right? That will take a while. LOL
Some of them have not released something I dislike. This is going to be hard and I am complicating things. LOL

It took me a whole week to come up with my bottom 10 list, so there's plenty of time. Smile

I can name dozens of well-known prog artists who've never released an album I dislike, including:- The Alan Parsons Project; Jon Anderson; Barclay James Harvest; Camel; Caravan; Dead Can Dance; Deep Purple; ELO; ELP; The Enid; Genesis; David Gilmour; Annie Haslam; If; Jade Warrior;  Led Zeppelin; Jon Lord; Man; The Moody Blues;  Nektar; Sally Oldfield; Pink Floyd;  Procol Harum; Rare Bird; Traffic; Uriah Heep; Roger Waters; & Yes, to name just a few. Smile

Man, it is hard to think that you can enjoy A Valid Path, The Endless River, Calling All Stations, The Single Factor, Metallic Spheres...

I feel shivers. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 05:01

^ Soft Machine's Land of Cockayne and National Health's debut are just the prescription I need. Smile

Land of Cockayne is a beauty. I prefer it to Bundles. But then again I prefer Fourth over both of them (and really like Missing Pieces)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 21:01
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

What do you not like in '84-86? All tops, IMO, especially Poland.

Poland and Underwater Sunlight are fine even though I don't listen remotely as often to them as to what came before, Le Parc less so, I mean it has some good stuff but is more superficial than earlier work, and I'm not a fan of Firestarter and Heartbreakers, which are much weaker than earlier soundtracks. The latter three are still enjoyable to some extent but three stars max for me (in fact also Underwater Sunlight which is good but hasn't anything really exciting on it). They churned out some further soundtracks in these years that I don't know.

I see that Underwater Sunlight has an average rating higher than any album between Exit and Hyperborea, but I think all four of these are quite a bit stronger.

Up to and including Underwater Sunlight I think TD were still putting out good stuff. Agree what you said earlier about Tyger, after that it was a slippery slope that followed. Edgar decided to shoe horn his son into the band in the early 90's and that didn't help matters imo. After Franke and Haslinger left it was Tangerine Dream in name only.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 18:32
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Poland and Underwater Sunlight are fine even though I don't listen remotely as often to them as to what came before, Le Parc less so, I mean it has some good stuff but is more superficial than earlier work, and I'm not a fan of Firestarter and Heartbreakers, which are much weaker than earlier soundtracks. The latter three are still enjoyable to some extent but three stars max for me (in fact also Underwater Sunlight which is good but hasn't anything really exciting on it). They churned out some further soundtracks in these years that I don't know.

I see that Underwater Sunlight has an average rating higher than any album between Exit and Hyperborea, but I think all four of these are quite a bit stronger.

Edited by Lewian - May 04 2023 at 18:39
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 17:45
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I hadn't listed Tangerine Dream earlier, but in fact I was a huge fan of them (and still am up to the point where they lost me) but the double whammy of Tyger and Optical Race (after a few albums in 84-86 that had not exactly been top notch either) made me lose interest in any further work. It took me some 30 years from 1988 before touching anything more recent of them.

Optical Race had such potential, and does have some nice material, but the duds and the soundbanks from the multiple D-50/550 units really bring everything down. At least we got one stunner with Edgar on guitar in "Sun Gate"!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 17:36
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^ Soft Machine's Land of Cockayne and National Health's debut are just the prescription I need. Smile
Haha. I need a prescription for more cowbell.

These guys need more cowbell too, or they'll be wearing gold-plated diapers! (whatever that means). Tongue

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 17:35
Land of Cockayne also disappoints.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 17:17

Haha. I need a prescription for more cowbell.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 17:04
I hadn't listed Tangerine Dream earlier, but in fact I was a huge fan of them (and still am up to the point where they lost me) but the double whammy of Tyger and Optical Race (after a few albums in 84-86 that had not exactly been top notch either) made me lose interest in any further work. It took me some 30 years from 1988 before touching anything more recent of them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 15:42
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 15:00

These are 10 of my least favourite prog albums from 10 of my favourite artists, arranged in alphabetical order:-

Kate Bush - The Dreaming (1982)
Steve Hackett - Cured (1981)
Steve Hillage - Rainbow Dome Musick (1979)
King Crimson - Discipline (1981)
National Health - Missing Pieces (1994)
Queen - Hot Space (1982)
Renaissance - Time-Line (1983)
Soft Machine - Fourth (1971)
Spooky Tooth - Ceremony (with Pierre Henry) (1970)
Van der Graaf Generator - Present (2005)

Which are your 10 least favourite prog albums Question
National Health and Soft Machine your favorite artists?? Which albums?

Can't say I hate any album but Dream Theater's "The Astonishing" was not for me.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - May 04 2023 at 15:02
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 13:56
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Just off the top of my head:

1. Yes: Union
2. Genesis: Calling All Stations
3. Saga: Generation 13
4. Alan Parsons Project: Eve/Ammonia Avenue (tie)
5. Moody Blues: The Other Side of Life/Sur La Mer (tie)
6. Steve Hackett: Blues with a Feeling
7. E.L.P.: In the Hot Seat
8. Barclay James Harvest: Victims of Circumstance
9. Pink Floyd: The Wall
10. Marillion: Fugazi

Fugazi, eh? It's one of the two Marillion albums I like. LOL

Union is better than some other Yes albums, too, but I realize it's subjective.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 13:33
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Half of those albums are in my CD collection. Big smile
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 13:28

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 13:26

5 stars 1970: Van der Graaf Generator - H to He, Who Am the Only One 

nice to see that
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 13:19

"Albums We Love to Hate from Artists We Love"

My approach is quite different as I certainly mostly just love some albums from a huge number of artists, and don't think much 
about the rest of it - at least when talking about what I love. 
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 13:07
I'll just mention one album:

Van der Graaf Generator - ALT

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>