19 [32.76%]
18 [31.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Änglagård vs Opeth vs The Flower Kings
    Posted: July 29 2022 at 02:37
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Interesting. I pointed by Mouse at Anglagard, paused , moved it to Opeth, paused and then moved to TFK, paused again. In the end only voted for TFK just to even it up. LOL

Lol, it's not quite even anymore. LOLLOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2022 at 01:45
..so apparently I've already voted but no idea for.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2022 at 01:43
Interesting. I pointed by Mouse at Anglagard, paused , moved it to Opeth, paused and then moved to TFK, paused again. In the end only voted for TFK just to even it up. LOL
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 19:17
For me, it's the Flower Kings followed very closely by Anglagard. I like Opeth, but they're a very distant third.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 14:06
I'm not a fan of there groups.

Anyway, Opeth.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 13:55
tFK
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 12:47
I can finally take part in this poll, having almost finished listening to all of the albums from all three bands. Smile

1. Anglagard
2. The Flower Kings

A very distant third.....

3. Opeth
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 10:57
1 - Anglagard
2 - Opeth
3 - TFK
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 10:39
Opeth
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 07:58
The Flower Kings for me!!! Roine is the King Of Prog!!!
The Prog Corner
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 07:48
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

Any of them that aren't The Flower Kings

Wow, what do you have against the Flower Kings? Too retro sounding? Just wondering.

That's exactly it. They take so many elements from the 70s classics without adding anything interesting of their own. Take an overly retro sound and bloat each album runtime to 1-2 hours, and it gets unbearable after a while.

To me, bands like Flower Kings and Simon Says represent all that is awful about prog throwbacks. Let's not add any of our own defining characteristics to this genre, but instead ape our influences to the nth degree and make the finished product twice as tedious as before! Ermm
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 07:43

Änglagård

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 07:39
The Flower Kings.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 07:33
Anglagard  for me
Prog On!
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 06:59
TFK and Anglagard
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 05:06
3. Opeth
2. The Flower Kings
1. Änglagård
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 01:40
Oh wow, what a strong match between the three. Really, really great stuff - but for different reasons.

Änglagård surely takes the top spot for me. First, all three albums are gold standard. Second, I still think it's the "Best" post-70s prog group, if I were to pick one. No, I'm not an expert - I agree there might be a band I would find as magnificent as Änglagård somewhere out there, but it's unlikely. On a more personal level, it really helped to reinvigorate my father's interest in prog and set him out on a journey to find more stuff, that's how he learnt to appreciate dozens of "new bands" in 1990s-2000s, which - in turn - opened my eyes some more. Listening to Änglagård was a powerful experience back then and it stays relevant after so many years. I just don't do it on a regular basis to "save it" a bit; twice a year at most.

The Flower Kings have, I think, one of the richest discographies in modern prog, and some material is extremely picturesque and heart-warming. I'm only familiar with 1995-02 stuff (1994 if we count Stolt solo as TFK), so I can't really pick them.

Opeth... Opeth is a fascinating case. I enjoy Orchid to Watershed tremendously, that's a nine album run (!!!) and they're all so different. On surface it's always a blend of death metal, prog, acoustic stuff with a pinch of ambient, but I think all labels undersell them. This is the one I'm listening to the most. If I have any complaints, it's that some songs would be better off as 100% pure metal mammoths, not polluted with softer sections/downtempos... but it's nitpicking. I could discuss Opeth for days.

Edited by thief - February 22 2021 at 01:41
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
Theprogelitist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Theprogelitist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 01:37
^Here come the thoughts of the creator of the poll (feel free to write if and why you disagree): I have the same issues with The Flower Kings. Too much music and a lot of it sounds the same. Since Stardust We Are, they have developed a signature sound, which they more or less replicated in every album between 1997-2007. I also believe that their sound is quite bland and thin. Most of it is just Roine Stolt noodling away on his guitar (which most of the time doesn’t have a fulfilling tone) with some mellotron or other keyboard in the background. The bass and the drums aren’t quite as in-your-face as I like them. Which is a shame because the players are good (just look at bass player Jonas Reingold’s projects outside of TFK). My favourite is also Banks Of Eden, but Stolt’s The Flower King surpasses all TFK-albums and is the only one of them which I deem a 5 star album.

When it comes to Opeth, I had the same suspicion prior to listening to them, namely that I wouldn’t enjoy the growling. But I fell in love with The Leper Affinity and then the rest of Blackwater Park and then Still Life. Now I like all of the ones I have heard. I think the key is to be in a state of mind that allows you to absorb all of the energy in their music.

Änglagård’s Jordrök instantly turned me on to their music, and while their three albums just like TFK also sound quite similar, this is a sound which I enjoy quite a bit. This is mostly due to the atmosphere created with mellotron and flute, which TFK fail to come anywhere near (on most tracks). Also, the complexity of the music as well as the ”extroverted” drums and bass. It’s simply genius.

Edited by Theprogelitist - January 02 2021 at 04:52
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 00:08
Nice to see this poll was actually done, and indeed it came as a more interesting match. As for me, I still go with Anglagard, if only because of Hybris. I know very little from The Flower Kings, though. And Opeth, I do have found a good deal of enjoyment from them. As others have mentioned, I too don't have much tolerance towards growling, and even Opeth didn't change much my opinion about that (though I did learn to tolerate them in order to enjoy some very selected great songs that feature them). Still, the way I got to enjoy Opeth (even before Heritage) was looking for the non-growling songs, and they did have enough of them to enjoy... from what I got to hear from a few of their classic growling albums, my favourite songs were the non-growling ones, anyway. With only a few weird things. First, I never got into Damnation, which should have been my favourite thing from them, yet I wanted more metal from them and that one just ended up being to bland for my liking (except for Closure, which I find fantastic, specially in it's live version). And also, my very favourite song from them is the one song with growling that I do like from them, The Drapery Falls (live version from Lamentations, too). Then came their days without growling, and I do think they have done some very nice stuff since then, though I wish they would do more metal... so far, my favourite album from them has been Sourceress... though I still got to give the new one a good listen.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 21:25
^I prefer the single album Flower Kings albums also. However, Banks of Eden does have a bonus disc so it's hard for me not to think of it as a double. Desolation rose also has bonus disc and I think with both of them the bonus material might actually be better(certainly with DR if I remember right). I haven't heard the last two TFK albums though. You might like the sum of no evil also. That's a really good one and is a single with no bonus material if I'm not mistaken. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 01 2021 at 21:25
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>