Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rolling Stone 50 Greatest Prog Albums of All Time
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rolling Stone 50 Greatest Prog Albums of All Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rolling Stone 50 Greatest Prog Albums of All Time
    Posted: December 31 2020 at 02:55
"For close to a half century, prog has been the breeding ground for rock’s most out-there, outsized and outlandish ideas: Thick-as-a-brick concept albums, an early embrace of synthesizers, overly complicated time signatures, Tolkienesque fantasies, travails from future days and scenes from a memory. In celebration of Rush’s first Rolling Stone cover story, here’s the best of the deliciously decadent genre that the punks failed to kill." - Rolling Stone Magazine

1. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
2. King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (1969)
3. Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)
4. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975)
5. Yes - Close to the Edge (1972)
6. Genesis - Selling England by the Pound (1973)
7. Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (1972)
8. Can - Future Days (1973)
9. Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974)
10. Yes - Fragile (1971)
11. Rush - Hemispheres (1978)
12. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (1973)
13. Pink Floyd - Animals (1977)
14. Genesis - Foxtrot (1972)
15. King Crimson - Red (1974)
16. Gentle Giant - Octopus (1972)
17. Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (1973)
18. Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention - One Size Fits All (1975)
19. PFM - Per un Amico (1972)
20. King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973)
21. Camel - Mirage (1974)
22. Rush - 2112 (1976)
23. Tangerine Dream - Phaedra (1974)
24. Magma - Mekanik Destruktiv Kommandoh
25. The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium (2003)
26. Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts (1972)
27. Supertramp - Crime of the Century (1974)
28. Opeth - Blackwater Park (2001)
29. Dream Theater - Metropolis 2: Scenes from a Memory (1999)
30. U.K. - U.K. (1978)
31. Renaissance - Ashes Are Burning (1973)
32. Kansas - Leftoverture (1976)
33. Tool - Lateralus (2001)
34. Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink (1971)
35. Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Io Sono Nato Libero (1973)
36. Harmonium - Si on Avait Desoin D'une Cinquieme (1975)
37. Marillion - Clutching at Straws (1987)
38. Gong - You (1974)
39. Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet (2007)
40. Soft Machine - Third (1970)
41. Amon Duul II - Yeti (1970)
42. Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve (1995)
43. Electric Light Orchestra - Eldorado (1974)
44. Strawbs - Hero and Heroine (1974)
45. Triumvirat - Illusions on a Double Dimple (1974)
46. Carmen - Fandangos in Space (1973)
47. Crack the Sky - Crack the Sky (1975)
48. FM - Black Noise (1977)
49. Ruins - Hyderomastgroningem (1995)
50. Happy the Man - Happy the Man (1977)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 31 2020 at 02:55
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 03:04
not bad, expected worse LOL
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 03:14
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Yes, I was expecting worse too, especially after hearing about some of the Rap/Hip Hop "artists" on Rolling Stone's Top 500 albums list. There's a good cross section of albums in this list, including most of our prog favourites and also featuring lots of European bands and modern albums that often get overlooked, especially by me. Tongue
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 03:23
This is actually not nearly as bad as I was suspecting.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 03:44
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

This is actually not nearly as bad as I was suspecting.

I'm listening to No. 30 on the list for the first time today. It's a great album! It's good to see there's at least one album from all of my favourite prog artists on the list, including:- Camel; Caravan; Dream Theater; Electric Light Orchestra; Emerson, Lake & Palmer; Genesis; Jethro Tull; King Crimson; Mike Oldfield;  Pink Floyd; Porcupine Tree; Renaissance; Soft Machine; Strawbs; Tangerine Dream; Van der Graaf Generator; & Yes. Thumbs Up
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 03:47
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Yes, I was expecting worse too, especially after hearing about some of the Rap/Hip Hop "artists" on Rolling Stone's Top 500 albums list. There's a good cross section of albums in this list, including most of our prog favourites and also featuring lots of European bands and modern albums that often get overlooked, especially by me. Tongue

Why would hip hop not feature in their top 500 albums list? Why would you use inverted commas around artists? You know that you can dislike something or not be interested, without being so rudely dismissive? In any cross-genre list of greatest albums of all time, I would expect to see hip hop represented. Just as with rock or pop or metal or any other genre, there will be some artists who are more talented than others, but you shouldn’t write off an entire genre’s artistry just because it it not your thing.

Steven Wilson commented not so long ago that the most progressive music was being made by hip hop artists, and while I may not completely agree, I know where he is coming from, and why he said that. I could never claim to be a great hip hop fan, and there is definitely far more that I don’t like than I do - but there is some amazing music being made within that genre. Dismissing it all shows your ignorance more than anything else.

I’m not suggesting everyone has to like everything, nor that everyone has to be positive and warm and fuzzy all the time. There’s nothing wrong with criticism, but it should be informed and from experience. And by experience I don’t mean you’ve heard hip hop on the radio and don’t like what you’ve heard. By all means, say you don’t like what hip hop you’ve heard, but it’s just rude to imply that just because a musician composes or performs hip hop that they’re not an artist. By all means, wonder why hip hop appears in a greatest albums list, but perhaps instead of shaking your head and rolling your eyes, try and find out why.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 03:51
I can live with their top 41. But below sounds relatively weak.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 04:04
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I only know two albums - by ELO and the Strawbs - between #41 & #50. Embarrassed
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:06
All in all a predictable list. It doesn't necessarily represent my views (f.e. I think the early Zappa is much more interesting than 70's albums such as One Size Fits All) but I think I can agree on the top 2.

The vast majoirty of albums are from the 70's. Also, albums from outside the Enghish speaking countries are few (a few Italian and German albums).
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:19

Indeed this is quite striking. Somehow it looks like at 41 they went out of steam and chose the remaining ones randomly out of a pool of 500+. Also some will hate me for writing this but there's too much Rush fandom in this list.

Edited by Lewian - December 31 2020 at 10:34
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:44
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Indeed this is quite striking. Somehow it looks like at 41 they went out of steam and chose the remaining ones randomly out of a pool of 500+. Also some will hat me for writing this but there's too much Rush fandom in this list.

It does look very much like that, which does make the whole idea of it being the 50 greatest suspect, if they couldn’t even come up with 50 strong albums! 😄

That said, there are only two Rush albums in there, aren’t there? And easily the two most influential of their albums. I don’t think they are universally agreed upon as Rush’s best, and they’re definitely not my two favourite Rush albums - but if someone asked me what were their two most influential albums, I’d be hard pressed not to name these two.

If a list of greatest of all time is taken to mean those that had the most impact and influence, then I don’t think the appearance of those two Rush albums is that far wrong. If the list of greatest of all time is simply meant as the best, then their presence is certainly less assured. But I always take greatest of all time lists to mean those with the most impact.

What I think is far more suspect is the lack of content outside the UK and US, and the way when it appears, that it does. It’s almost as if they realised they needed one album in the top 10, and another in the top 20, and just shoehorned them in. And when they’ve chosen albums not from the UK and US, they seem to not really follow the example they’ve used for the US and UK albums, often choosing neither the albums generally acclaimed as the best, or the most influential, from a band. They don’t look as if they’ve been chosen with as much knowledge as the remainder of the list - and seem to have been chosen in the same manner that 41-50 were. 🤔

This list is in stark contrast to the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (or whatever it is titled) that is being discussed in another post on the forum, which appears to have had far more thought put into it - presumably because they asked far more people for their opinions/votes.

[EDIT] I have just noticed a third Rush album in there. And three does seem a little too much. So I take back what I said, and have to agree that there is too much Rush fandom going on.

Edited by nick_h_nz - December 31 2020 at 09:46
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:50
I would have set up to only highlight one album per artist. Such lists commonly really aren't of much interest to me other than what it says about an individual's taste. The narrower the parameters of a list, the more interesting it often is for me -- like if Rolling Stone did their top 50 most "Arckane Magick Musick".

Edited by Logan - December 31 2020 at 10:03
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:58
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Indeed this is quite striking. Somehow it looks like at 41 they went out of steam and chose the remaining ones randomly out of a pool of 500+. Also some will hat me for writing this but there's too much Rush fandom in this list.
I like Logan's idea of featuring one album per artist, but on a positive note, there are just as many Pink Floyd & Genesis albums (three each) in the Top 50 as Rush albums. Smile

It's a pity though that "The Ladder" album by Yes didn't quite make the Top 50. Wink 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 31 2020 at 10:09
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 10:59

Yea, With Rolling Stone I expected the top five prog albums to be
Madonna, Bob Dylan, Run DMC, The Ramones & Prince. LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 11:46
So is this list 100% created by the Rolling Stone writers?? One thing I noticed is CAN~Future Days is listed....but on their Top 500 All Time albums CAN~Ege Bamyasi is listed.........
Confused

I would suspect we should be pretty happy with this list.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 11:59
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

So is this list 100% created by the Rolling Stone writers?? One thing I noticed is CAN~Future Days is listed....but on their Top 500 All Time albums CAN~Ege Bamyasi is listed.........
Confused

I would suspect we should be pretty happy with this list.
Yes, it's a pretty good list, all things considered. It doesn't have many of my favourites on there, but then again, my favourite albums are often the albums others love to hate. It's a shame ELP's Love Beach album didn't quite make the Top 50. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 31 2020 at 12:00
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 12:16
In the firsts 11 positions there are two albums by Rush and no one by Van Der Graaf.

Very bad.

And the best seller the Dark Side of the Moon is not an album strictly prog.

This a bad American commercial ranking.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 12:16
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Confused
Different people asked for their contributions/votes. It might look odd at first glance, but it’s not really. I suspect this list may have come from the minds of only one writer (maybe two at a push). It looks more of an individual’s take, than the result of a group.

The 500 Albums list, on the other hand, had a crazy amount of people contributing to it (hence it being a “better” list overall than this one, and accounting for the differences when it comes to bands like Can).

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 12:36
the list has been out for at least 4 years.  My fave is how the Rolling Stone record guide gave Renaissance "Ashes are Burning" 1 star.  1 star!!!  Now they rate it 30th best of all time.  

As for the bottom 10, it's hit and miss, but I think it's good that they went with a few artists who had not been represented in the top 40.  I just think that acts like Crack the Sky and Happy the Man shouldn't be anywhere near the top 50 of anything, which betrays Rolling Stone's pro American bias
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 12:47
Though I can agree with some criticism in this thread, I have to admit that this list is not too bad for some guys that released a 500-page book about some five decades of rock music with three pages about prog.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>