Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GENESIS ( foxtrot )

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GENESIS ( foxtrot )
    Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:47
My introduction to genesis the best to me the creepy mellotron intro to WATCHER OF THE SKIES captured my ears with a sense of awe. TIMETABLE was a classic i saw the band THE MUSICAL BOX do this one live note for note amazing.
GET,EM BY FRIDAY portrays almost a dickensian future.the HORIZONS guitar work by steve hackett reveals his classical leanings but by far the masterpiece
SUPPER,S READY is the reason to listen to this album, thank you for taking the time read this review grant. out of five stars
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:52
Again, another 5 star album for me. What is more, Foxtrot is one of the strongest candidates of being my favourite prog rock album.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 20:20
For me, this album is mostly about Supper's Ready. Though I do like Timetable well enough too. On the other hand, I find Take 'em out by Friday really annoying (among the songs I dislike most from classic Genesis, along with Harold the Barrell and Battle of Epping Forest). Watcher of the Skies, on the other hand, is a weird case. It never did much for me, I even found it slightly annoying, yet once I heard Hackett's live version on Tokyo Tapes, with Wetton on vocals, I really got into it... it just sounds so much warmer, the voice, and the playing in general... I guess the drums are also a nice improvement for this one (as much as I thin Phill is great). I recently heard the version on Genesis Revisited 1 and that one is very nice too.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 20:42
probably my second favourite from the Gabriel era, after Selling England.  It would be my fave if I liked "Supper's Ready" as much as most fans.  It doesn't hold together that well for me though I like some parts
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 22:27
My favorite Genesis record, hands down. This is their peak, not SEBTP. Supper's Ready is the best, most complete of the Gabriel-era, and may I say of any era.

The only thing that dethrones it is Yes Close to The Edge for me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 23:21
Great album. Not my favorite but still a strong album. I remember listening to this on tape around the same time I was playing and then there were three and thinking how different they were while only separated by about six years. Also, I remember not knowing what to make of "supper's ready" when I first heard it. It was a real musical journey for me the same way "the gates of delirium" was but in a different way. At some point I knew this kind of music was my "thing." I thank Foxtrot for helping me on my prog journey. After "supper's ready" but also certain albums by Yes(like fragile and relayer) there was no turning back for me. 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 23:48
An iconic landmark album of prog rock imho. For me it’s a five star rating album, it’s in my all time favourites list.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 00:40
5 stars, without any hesitasion a masterpiece for me!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 01:39
I love the whole thing from back to front. A massive explosion of creativity from 5 incredibly talented guys. It (Genesis and Prog) never got any better than this.
 Post Reply Post Reply