Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who is the most underrated prog rock guitarist?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who is the most underrated prog rock guitarist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 20:00
Who is Brian May? I know an astro-physicist by that name thoughWink

I wonder if the Queen plays rock guitar Big smile Nah! 

Edited by tszirmay - January 04 2021 at 20:02
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 00:12
Another guitarist who impressed the heck out of me was Fripp's second guitarist in King Crimson, 
Michael "JakkoJakszyk

If you've ever seen King Crimson with Jakko, you'll know what I mean! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 00:13
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Who is Brian May? I know an astro-physicist by that name thoughWink

I wonder if the Queen plays rock guitar Big smile Nah! 

I've actually corresponded with Prof. May about astronomical causes of climate change.  Brilliant chap!

Subject: Re: continued discussion regarding climate change (and badgers!)

Date: October 12, 2013 at 8:03 PM

To: Charles Stack [email protected]

Thanks Charles.

I must admit I'd like to understand what is going on with the Earth's ice caps.

In a nutshell … are warming or cooling ?

Thanks also for you comments on the badgers. It's not going well, of course. We

have no power. But we are in the right.

Bri

—————————

A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 00:45
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Another guitarist who impressed the heck out of me was Fripp's second guitarist in King Crimson, 
Michael "JakkoJakszyk

If you've ever seen King Crimson with Jakko, you'll know what I mean! 

Great addition to the thread!
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 02:07
Depends on what you're rating them against. Steve Vai (credited as playing Stunt Guitar by Zappa) incredibly fast, but is it just about speed? Dave Gilmour - quite basic, but fits the music like an old sock in an old shoe?

For me, Steve Hackett is the most under-rated guitarist, because I think he's head and shoulders above any other guitarist on the planet. He can play anything from classical to shredding and tapping (the latter of which it seems he may have invented) and knows when to keep it simple or turn it up to 11.  
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 03:27
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Depends on what you're rating them against. Steve Vai (credited as playing Stunt Guitar by Zappa) incredibly fast, but is it just about speed? Dave Gilmour - quite basic, but fits the music like an old sock in an old shoe?

For me, Steve Hackett is the most under-rated guitarist, because I think he's head and shoulders above any other guitarist on the planet. He can play anything from classical to shredding and tapping (the latter of which it seems he may have invented) and knows when to keep it simple or turn it up to 11.  

I agree with the comment about speed - it's about what you say, not how fast you say it. Also agree about Hackett but I'm not sure that I'd call him under-rated as he is generally recognised as one of the top prog guitarists.

My number 1 underrated guitarist would be Nick Barrett of Pendragon.
Queretine View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Queretine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 04:15
Adrian Belew, people just see Robert Fripp as the great guitarist and I don't think Belew gets enough attention.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 04:18
Originally posted by Queretine Queretine wrote:

Adrian Belew, people just see Robert Fripp as the great guitarist and I don't think Belew gets enough attention.
I would say he does, many people know him not only as a member of King Crimson but also as a member of Zappa's band and as a solo artist.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 04:30
Greg Lake. He put his guitar chops on a back burner for the bass but if you listen closely his guitar sweeteners (few and far between admittedly) and the few solos he could have been much more.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 05:23
No idea about most underrated, but I'm giving Roger Wootton and Glen Goring a nod. Why? I've heard Comus' First Utterance called utterly horrible, but I find that guitar work on "The Herald" so haunting and beautiful that I think those people are severely underrating the merits of that when they call it utterly horrible (utterancely horrible) or abject crap.

Edited by Logan - January 06 2021 at 05:23
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 06:53
Alex Lifeson, Ed Wynn and Piotr Grudziński.
Steven Wilson is also one of my favorites, even though he's actually really average (at best) technically speaking.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 07:38
Originally posted by Deadwing Deadwing wrote:

Alex Lifeson, Ed Wynn and Piotr Grudziński.
Steven Wilson is also one of my favorites, even though he's actually really average (at best) technically speaking.

Again, I wouldn't say Lifeson is underrated, certainly not in the prog world.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 07:44
^ And not in the classic and hard rock world, at least not in Canada where I live where Rush are so iconic.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 09:12
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

The problem with 'rating' Gilmour is in prog alone, Latimer, Hackett, Rothery can manage that soulful shtick as well as Gilmour AND also have more range than him, especially Hackett.  And if we look at Gilmour's 'direct' competition, which is really blues-rock guitarists (because that's the style he plays most often), then it's very tough to make a case for him being better than the likes of Duane Allman, Gary Moore, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc (or bluesy hard rockers like Blackmore - ok, not JUST blues - and Angus Young). I am not sure I would rate him over Martin Barre for that matter.  I mean, if the argument is Gilmour fits the music like a glove, so does Barre. 

Speaking of speed, how about speed AND complexity AND flavour? Mitch Watkins has it all in this solo:

I think the guitar is a very rangey instrument, capable of sounding extremely aggressive and flamboyant in ways not many other instruments do (except the saxophone which was, not surprisingly, the quintessential jazz instrument for many years).  So...why should slow and sentimental playing alone be elevated to the top of the pack? I think that Mitch Watkins solo is also soulful in a completely different way; it is invigorating and puts a big smile on your face rather than making you cry.  Is that really such a bad thing, must all art always be gloomy?  Mind, in saying all this, I AM a huge Floyd fan.

I think Gilmour is a better composer - both of tracks and of guitar parts - than a player. And a lot of the credit he gets for his playing is really intended for how good he is at writing parts. 
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gully Foyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 11:22
I started thinking about obscure ones, but reading the thread made me think about Martin Barre.  Ian is such a control freak, and such a giant image/personality/ego that for many he is JT.  I think Martin is an incredibly talented and creative guitarist, though so humble and (back then) bought into the JT project that he fades into the background.  Like everyone knows Bill Haley, who the hell were the Comets?

So, I'll second that - Martin.  A giant part of what we love about JT, but rarely talked about outside certain circles, and even among prog folks often overlooked.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 12:33
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

No idea about most underrated, but I'm giving Roger Wootton and Glen Goring a nod. Why? I've heard Comus' First Utterance called utterly horrible, but I find that guitar work on "The Herald" so haunting and beautiful that I think those people are severely underrating the merits of that when they call it utterly horrible (utterancely horrible) or abject crap.
How could I forget about Wootton, that Comus debut is one of the best albums ever released!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 12:34
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Greg Lake. He put his guitar chops on a back burner for the bass but if you listen closely his guitar sweeteners (few and far between admittedly) and the few solos he could have been much more.

I definitely agree with this!  I believe that he and Robert Fripp both had the same guitar instructor growing up in Wimborne Dorset. 
Tancos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 13:32
Kido Natsuki, of Korekyojinn, Bondage Fruit, Umezu Kazutoki Kiki Band, etc., though he's not so much underappreciated as just simply unknown outside of Japan.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gully Foyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 13:35
Bondage Fruit is amazing - so I will definitely second that too!  Despite listening for a long time, I really had never looked into the players.

Come to think of it there are plenty of amazing records i've heard 100's of times, and have no idea who those players are beyond the band name.  For some reason the Samuel Jackson 5 come to mind - though maybe that's because the band name is so good!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 16:51
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Speaking of speed, how about speed AND complexity AND flavour? Mitch Watkins has it all in this solo:

Wow, nice call. BaldJean is the only other member here I'd expect to ref the Mitch. I love that line-up. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>