Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Flaming Lips for Psych/Space Rock (revisited)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Flaming Lips for Psych/Space Rock (revisited)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Flaming Lips for Psych/Space Rock (revisited)
    Posted: January 02 2021 at 12:37
So I have done a quick search of the forum and this has been suggested a couple of times way back, and there was a mixed response. However in 2019 and 2020, The Flaming Lips returned to a psychedelic style with two albums. "King's Mouth" and "American Head". Both highly acclaimed. 

Although they have been rejected before I'd suggest these two albums may be cause for revisiting The Flaming Lips as a potential addition? They are certainly difficult to pin down to a specific genre, albums such as "The Terror" are perhaps closer to post rock and they have certainly been very experimental in their style over the years, incorporating a lot of electronic sound.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 16:20
^ They have already been suggested again and again as you say, and already been rejected, sorry.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 09:40
Although I am a huge fan of The Flaming Lips, I have had to concede that there are more people that have voted "no" about their inclusion, and so I've just been satisfied for them to remain a personal favorite.

I would also like to include Fleet Foxes in PA, but since they are a huge personal favorite, I've been hesitant to recommend them because I might be a bit biased, hoping that someone else will suggest them.  Not sure if they have been yet or not.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 10:39
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Although I am a huge fan of The Flaming Lips, I have had to concede that there are more people that have voted "no" about their inclusion, and so I've just been satisfied for them to remain a personal favorite.

I would also like to include Fleet Foxes in PA, but since they are a huge personal favorite, I've been hesitant to recommend them because I might be a bit biased, hoping that someone else will suggest them.  Not sure if they have been yet or not.
I like The Flaming Lips and Fleet Foxes too. I would've suggested them for inclusion myself, but I've already had more rejections here than a vegan applying for a job at Burger King who didn't meat the requirements. Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 10:49
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I like The Flaming Lips and Fleet Foxes too. I would've suggested them for inclusion myself, but I've already had more rejections here than a vegan applying for a job at Burger King who didn't meat the requirements. Smile
That's funny....but I doubt Burger King would care if your vegan. You could request to only work on the bun flipping line..LOL
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 10:59
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

That's funny....but I doubt Burger King would care if your vegan. You could request to only work on the bun flipping line..LOL

I swear BK had a vegan burger at one time.  Not that I've tried it (or ever will for that matter).  Soy milkshake anyone?

bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 11:10
Did wonder if the two new albums might be a game changer but know past history is a difficult one to get round! :D

Burger King did a vegan burger.... but then announced they were cooking it on the same grill as the normal burgers which is why it tasted like the real thing still! Whoops...
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 13:10
I noticed the closely-related band Mercury Rev are already on ProgArchives, so I'm surprised The Flaming Lips aren't included here too. Confused
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 13:38
Whatever they're are, they're awesome. Yoshima.... how do humans sit down and create something like that?
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply