Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GG Three Friends album cover question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GG Three Friends album cover question
    Posted: January 02 2021 at 14:03
So today I bought Gentle Giant's Three Friends album at the record store, only I was unaware there was a different cover on the US version as compared to the UK version (which is the one I'm familiar with seeing online), so I wasn't really sure if I was buying Three Friends or some weird copy of the debut. Now that I've figured it out that I have Three Friends, I can't seem to find an explanation online for why they decided to ditch the UK cover and put the art from their debut album on the US editions of Three Friends. Does anyone here know the story?
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 15:13
I have no idea, but it would be nice to know.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 15:41
Yeah. It's because Three Friends was the first GG album to release in the US I think. So they just went with the debut cover because barely anyone had probably seen it in the States. Funny that, later, they became way more popular in the US than in their native UK.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 16:27
^ That about sums it up. Yes, apprently GG were not that big in the UK. I think they are known among most UK prog fans and collectors now though but not more so than Camel or VDGG where as in the US it was the opposite. In the US GG were playing around the same sized audiences as Genesis in the early to mid 70's(according to one GG member anyway).

Anyway, I'm not really sure why the US version has the same album cover as the first album. It could very well be as was previously stated. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 03 2021 at 13:05
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 00:03
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Yeah. It's because Three Friends was the first GG album to release in the US I think. So they just went with the debut cover because barely anyone had probably seen it in the States. Funny that, later, they became way more popular in the US than in their native UK.

Fairly certain this is the correct answer.

In a Glass House was rather difficult to import for a bit if I'm not mistaken, as well.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 09:33
Didn't Octopus have a different cover in the US as well?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 11:06
^Yes...it did....I have the US version which is an octopus in a bottle but the Brit one had the really cool Dean cover.

Edited by dr wu23 - January 03 2021 at 11:07
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 11:08
Gentle Giant : Octopus   MINT CD
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 11:28
Hey thanks for the answers y'all! I knew Octopus had two covers, but I mistakenly thought the jar cover was just the result of some remaster/remix anniversary reissue. I also happen to have that one on CD and it has the jar cover rather than the Roger Dean one! At least with Octopus they didn't reuse an old cover to confuse American fans 50 years into the future with an internet connection, lol.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 12:49
My parents got me Octopus on vinyl a couple years ago, and I was also confused at first.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 15:51
I think thats probably right; US labels quite often messed about with or objected to art-work coming as a package from a UK or European band release. Camel had problems with Mirage, Snow Goose and Moonmadness.. in some cases it definately came from extreme jumpiness of big label legal teams assuming that some kind of law suit might appear or an executive deciding that it wasnt right or appropriate for an American audience.
Mind you, ive got Canadian pressings of both Gentle Giant 1st and Aquiring the taste which both have UK artwork.. did they get imported into the States? In A Glashouse had real problems getting a release.. they had a couple of label changes before they settled on Chrysalis so that probably had an influence.. its quite odd they were so successful and did so well in the States considering their early lps (up to and including Power and the Glory) had such a chequered history in terms of release, promotion and availability. But in all fairness the first 4 Genesis 'Charisma' lps had various issues, deletions, re-issues and collections (as double lp packages) on MCA, Buddha,Atlantic/WEA, Polydor as Charisma's catalogue was pushed about between different distribution deals.. but they did ok!

Post Reply Post Reply