Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scott Walker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scott Walker
    Posted: January 05 2021 at 07:34
Just listening to Scott Walker's TILT album and, to my mind, it's very much Prog. Most of his solo stuff from Scott 3 up to Bish Bosch is fascinating, complex and can be challenging but also features rich orchestration to go with that rich voice.

Anyone else a Scott Walker fan?

Edited by Ronstein - January 05 2021 at 07:34
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 07:39
Yep I'm a fan, you're right about the "challenging" bit.

Have you listened to his Jacques Brel album?
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 07:51
Yes, love Jacques Brel too. The Sensational Alex Harvey Band did a brilliant cover of Next!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 08:00
I also like his music. Very nice and unique.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 12:10
Love Scott Walker 3 and 4.

Tilt never click on me
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 12:31
His album Soused with Sunn O))) is excellent if very weird. He's certainly out there these days.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 12:34
Scott Walker is one of my favorite artists! I would love to see him added on PA and wil gladly review all his records

Furthermore, it could be argued that his later records like Tilt, Drift and Bisch Bosch easily qualify for avant-prog. Scott Walker is also the main influence on David Bowie's Blackstar album.

His earlier records (Scott 2, 3 and 4) are perhaps more of an extremely progressive style of American chanson (yes it exists), but these albums could also be seen as high-class barokpop albums.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 13:21
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Yes, love Jacques Brel too. The Sensational Alex Harvey Band did a brilliant cover of Next!
The Ange version of Jacques Brel's 'Ces gens la' on 'Le cimetierre des arlequins' is pretty bonkers!
I'm only really familiar with Scott 3 & 4 but fully intend to explore his later lpsSmile

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 15:08
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

His album Soused with Sunn O))) is excellent if very weird. He's certainly out there these days.

Yeah, he's out there now for sure especially since he died in 2019. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 16:11
That's about as far out as you can go
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 16:17
I really got into Scott Walker in 2010.....bought all his recordings including his teenage stuff as well as with The Walker Brothers......how diverse can one individual be? His baritone voice was superb.

His post 1995 stuff is way out there; it became more obtuse the older he got.

I am fairly sure he has been put up to be included on PA, but recollect that he was classified more art rock than prog rock by "the-powers-that-be" and was rejected. We can always try again, especially if one puts forward avante-prog.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 16:24
I loved everything he's done since Climate of Hunter. I seem to like his first two albums during his baroque pop period more than the third and fourth albums, opposite of what most of his fans favor. I haven't heard his albums from 1970 to 1974 and from what I understand he hated those albums and purposely never wanted them reissued; a case of record companies trying to make him re-hash his 1960s stuff where as he wanted to go somewhere else musically which thankfully he did.

He was proposed for PA in 2008:

In 2010:

and last in 2011:

I presume he was rejected. None of the above submission requests seem to have much information in them. I'm kind of taken aback at how uninformed many of the participants in the threads were. 

I think he would fit in nicely on PA, but I understand that might be a controversial position.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 16:36
I love Tilt. I have considered Scott Walker to have made music that I would put in the greater prog related umbrella, but I don't know his music as well as I think I should. He has had a lot of fans at PA. I moved this to general music discussions, because the Prog Music lounges are intended for general Prog music discussion and acts already included in the database -- see THIS - CLICK. He has been suggested in Suggest New Bands before a number of times, in fact once ever year over four years which is interesting (once in 2011, once in 2010, once in 2009, and once in 2008) Tilt and the Drift are often cited as prime examples of proggy music. he has been suggested to Avant prog and Crossover for the Art Rock qualities.

I see that I wrote this back in 2010 in one of those topics:

[quote=Logan]I just listened to "Jolson and Jones", which I found rather catchy (not frightening to me) and that I would think sufficiently on the chamber rock side a la Art Zoyd and Univers Zero to be readily considerable. Listening to another track now (track 9 -- cool harmonica part that reminds of Morricone's Man with Harmonica), and so far I don't see why he wouldn't be includable. I had listened to music of his before as it's been suggested a couple of times, but never got evaluated (not on progfreak) -- hopefully third time is the charm. In an earlier thread I thought Crossover as a possibility too but I guess that was more based on earlier material.[/url]

But those were early impressions and I didn't know his material very well at the time. I don't know if it ever was formally evaluated (I could search, but others might remember). Opinion has seemed to be divided on this artist (not a no-brainer depending on perspective and the materials listened to and the overall discography). To me it seemed more prog related before, but I'm not familiar enough with the music and artist's background and that is a very involved process where various criteria are expected to be met, an SC proposes it to us, and we generally also gauge the arguments and thoroughness of the suggestion.

Edited by Logan - January 05 2021 at 16:37
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 03:05
^ Thanks for the comprehensive reply, Logan. It's interesting to see how many times he's been put forward for inclusion. As my other posts will tell you, I'm not a fan of assigning most artists to any specific genre as most create music across a broad spectrum, and Scott Walker is a great example of someone it's impossible to pin a label to. Pleased he has so many fans on here, though, and if the thread gets a few more turned on to his music, I'm happy Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 03:38
I’m with you there on not being a fan of assigning artists to any specific label as they tend to span genres. A limitation of this site is that not only can’t we assign labels by the album, we can’t assign multiple labels for artists. The pigeonholing aspect of the process has no doubt kept various artists out of this site.   I too will be pleased if more people are turned on to Scott Walkers music. Very nice topic, by the way. :)
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Paulo V View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulo V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 03:22
Scott Walker to me is one of the most influential Composer/Musician of the 20th Century.
Always taking the point with the dawn patrol fraternity...
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 15:53
Haven't heard much of Scott Walker after 'Tilt' which I bought soon after its release in 1995 . I think that Scott disappeared for a number of years after 'Tilt' and I didn't quite catch up. 

I rate 'Scott 4' very highly. From what I can work out , it sold very badly when first released in 1969, and was soon deleted. But gradually started selling when re-issued in subsequent years. Some superb tracks such as 'Seventh Seal' and 'The Old Man is Back Again'. 
Turned on to Scott Walker in my 20s , which coincided with the 1980's, after hearing that musicians at the time such as Bowie, Julian Cope, Echo and the Bunnymen, were praising his work. 
 Post Reply Post Reply