Poll Question: Who do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
47 [65.28%]
25 [34.72%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2023 at 14:49
Zappa is more important in the history of modern music and I like a lot of his stuff - but for me personal GG has a special place. An esoteric nerd place to sure, but that's why we're here, no?
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Boi_da_boi_124 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boi_da_boi_124 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 17:44
This is tough for me, but GG. Only about half of Frank Zappa's discography I love, but 90% of GG's I do.
barbera View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 18:23
The Giants for sure. But Zappa an honorable second place Wink
Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2023 at 12:07
Quote In an interview with Acid Rock in January 1978, entitled "Phi Zappa Crappa Interview: Peeking Into The Bizarre Mind Of Rock & Roll's Original Madman," Frank was asked:

Q: Are there any major rock n' roll bands aside from yourself that you do listen to?

ZAPPA: I like Queen. I like Gentle Giant.

I can't vote in this poll. I've been listening to Zappa since the late 60s, and Gentle Giant since the early 70s, and I still love them both.

Edited by Moonshake - June 16 2023 at 13:06
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2023 at 12:47
Hot Rats! A poll in which I can't vote, although Frank Zappa will be coming up - eventually - in my Legends of Laurel Canyon blog. Thankfully, that's a Long Long Time away in the future, as Frank will be the next to last artist featured - falling somewhere in-between Townes Van Zandt and Warren Zevon. Smile
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2023 at 12:50
Zappa. He was much more versatile and had a host of insanely talented musicians in his bands. 

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - June 16 2023 at 12:51
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2023 at 20:05
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Gotta go with GG here. 

When it comes to Zappa, I respect his work more than I actually enjoy it. His influence on rock music is incredible, but I don't really find myself sitting down to listen to one of his albums all that often. GG though? I could listen to them any day of the week Smile 

Sums up my thoughts.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2023 at 03:25
Let's compare apples and oranges!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2023 at 03:40
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Let's compare apples and oranges!
Ok. That's gotta be oranges for me. But mainly because of freshy pressed orange juice. Yourself?
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 19:16
Gentle Giant by nautical mile.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 19:26
Hope all is well, Argo2122.

Have to vote Zappa.
Zappastolethetowels View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 00:03
Zappa
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 01:55
I'm going with the more-respectable Brit band over the bathroom humor / comedy rock of the American guy.

Edited by Boojieboy - April 18 2024 at 01:56
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 05:15
Using the personal metric of "how much of the music do I like", it's GG for me but I do appreciate and enjoy me some Zappa.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 07:48
Hi,

In the what I consider sad department, this poll just shows how folks don't look at Frank Zappa as a composer, and then think that Gentle Giant has the best songs. 

It's an unfair, and sad, comparison, but I imagine that we have to look at the history and how they will stand up. Gentle Giant was outstanding, and even showed it in concert, but Frank Zappa, stood out when he also did a lot of classical material and showed some of his own material in a format that would be considered "classical", which sometimes is the reason why some folks don't like it ... or worse, Frank putting his guitar down and taking on the baton ... because a fan in the front row wanted another solo. 

Even though, any of us could easily state that Frank would be one of the best soloists ever (a lot of that material is still not released, and some of it was the preshow stuff before a concert with the band warming up, and Frank just being over it all ... which might have helped him define and create new stuff.

Gentle Giant, in many ways, was, at the time, the ultimate college/university band, putting together everything they ever learned and knew ... in a very uncompromising way ... that was perfect for the rock music crowd. And their musicianship was special as many of them swapped parts many times in concert. And played a lot of different instruments, which added something else. 

Both of them were phenomenal in concert ... and that is probably the best way to compare them ... both had enough difficult material that they could easily fall apart at any moment, but never did!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 07:50
I think that Zappa is the objective winner of this poll when we consider the total musical output and "reach" in terms of influence on musicians. As great as Gentle Giant were, Zappa was bigger, more prolific and more consistent over decades.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 07:51
^ Having said that, that does not mean that he should win this poll - some people just don't like him, and GG are much more at the heart of the prog movement than Zappa ever was.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 08:55
Another metric is standing up to the test of time. I've enjoyed Gentle Giant, Mothers of Invention, and Frank Zappa solo, but that last one - for me at least - hasn't stood the test of time (for me that's 40 years). GG has stood strong and is still as listenable as from the start, but the novelty of Zappa solo has gotten old, and I rarely ever listen to that any more. Mother's classics like "Uncle Meat" still are strong though. Although having fun, that's more musical and less comedy-desperation.

Edited by Boojieboy - April 18 2024 at 08:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123