Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Electronic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Electronic
    Posted: March 15 2021 at 07:48
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

an early prog electronic album (1974) that hardly anyone knows: "Meditation" by Eberhard Schoener

Awesome suggestion, Jean! (as usual) Thanks!

Also thanks to the Mosh Man for the Trance Formation suggestion--which I also like very much.

Why doesn't this guy get more credit for his influence on the creation of the Ambient Music scene? Eno must have heard his music when he was in Germany with Bowie, cuz though Discreet Music came out before the Low / Lodger / Heroes albums Ambient One: Music for Airports follows.

Edited by BrufordFreak - March 15 2021 at 07:56
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 11:14
Hi, Since this is recommendations, and since I am shameless, I thought maybe you good folk might get a kick out of my own track. I'm working on writing this kind of music (prog electronic). Would appreciate the feedback.

This was probably in poor taste, self promotion, but...shameless. Thanks. The recommendations so far have been awesome.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 15:45
Harry Williamson - Stroking the Tail of the Bird
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 11:10

an early prog electronic album (1974) that hardly anyone knows: "Meditation" by Eberhard Schoener

It's wonderful.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 11:08
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

For some good sequencer-driven prog electronic, very reminiscent of T.D. Ricochet, I suggest ARC, particularly their Umbra live album...

DiN has a lot of other recent artists, too:

ARC are a great suggestion, I don't have that one so will pick it up.

That Umbra album is terrific, really enjoying it, thanks for the reco.

You're quite welcome! It's one of my faves...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 09:06

Hi,

He has more than one magnificent thing ... his album TRANCEFORMATION is, for me, one of the greatest listens ever, even if you dislike Andy Summers going nuts on the first cut which is really cool actually ... but it brings up Gregorian Chants really well, even as meditative pieces later, which I think is being ignored.

I have something like 7 or 8 of his albums, and now I need to listen to them again, and I remember the one where he took the sounds of birds flying and turned it into a tapestry of keyboards ... it was really pretty is all I remember at this moment ... in many ways Eberhard Schoener is more of an "experimentalist" (in his early days!!!!!! -- witness the "Bali Agung" album), until much later when I think he became a conductor and composer, but none of the work I am aware of was as good as a lot of these original pieces.

Side issue ... I think that he gave Sting his first singing moments, and I wonder if it was during these sessions that they met and went on to form The Police. It would be likely to be the other way around as the group toured so much as to make an appearance on a ES album nearly impossible.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 06:22

Edited by BaldJean - February 17 2021 at 06:23

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 06:00

Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

For some good sequencer-driven prog electronic, very reminiscent of T.D. Ricochet, I suggest ARC, particularly their Umbra live album...

DiN has a lot of other recent artists, too:

ARC are a great suggestion, I don't have that one so will pick it up.

That Umbra album is terrific, really enjoying it, thanks for the reco.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 15:48
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Girón
and his associated collaboration, Zytospace.
Breidablik
Kosmischer Läufer

I forgot about Breidablik and Kosmischer Läufer! I'm loving the Girón and Zytospace stuff. 
Thanks, Ian! 

Just added an artist you might enjoy. Klaus Morlock is a synthesizer based artists that has created a mythos of 70's horror film soundtracks, all recorded in the last 8 years or so. He has done everything to make it sound like these scores are coming straight off the film's audio track. So its not the typical Berlin School electronic fare. Its much more stylized to match period, dark, low budget horror films. Its very interesting and enjoyable. 

Edited by Tapfret - January 19 2021 at 15:49
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 15:29
It's good to discover that Ian Boddy and Mark Shreeve are both included on ProgArchives. Thumbs Up
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 15:14

Pauline Oliveros, Stuart Dempster & Panaiotis – Deep Listening (1989)

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 17:32

P.S. I'm loving Gert Emmons Outland, Involved's Revolving Maze, Sounds of New Soma's Moebius Tunnel, and 6LA8's The Last Strands of Fortitude. More later.

I have a few Emmens releases. Good stuff. I consider Moebius Tunnel ambient, not prog electronic.

If you like Revolving Maze, parts of it (like "Egress") remind me of Zombi, like this one, one of my favorite tracks of their last three releases.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 14:16

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ Or you could try Zrnho Correy's channel on YouTube. Thumbs Up

Some GREAT finds on here! (E.g. Andreas Wolter, Ian Boddy, even the trip-hoppy New Age of Davol and techno-dance-pop of SpiralDreams.) 

Thanks, Paul!
My pleasure! Zrnho Correy was my introduction to Electronica on YouTube over ten years ago, although I've diversified into prog since then. Thumbs Up
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 13:36
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Serrie was on the same label as TD, or vice versa ... in Seattle, which was when the 220 Volt Live was recorded.

Yes, TD was on Miramar for Rockoon220 Volt, Turn of the Tides, and Tyranny of Beauty. They floated from label to label for a few years before TDI was established.

Private Music had an eclectic roster, too...

...and that reminds me: BrufordFreak, did you ever hear Patrick O'Hearn's first two albums for Private Music, Ancient Dreams and Between Two Worlds? Those are EM classics!

Yep! I used to collect Patrick's CDs back in the 80s & 90s cuz he had such great sound on his albums! But, his music grew a little old on me. Stopped buying it (and most "New Age" music) for a while, but now I'm refreshed (thanks to Stefano Musso [ALIO DIE] and Laurent Schieber [SEQUENTIA LEGENDA]).

P.S. I'm loving Gert Emmons Outland, Involved's Revolving Maze, Sounds of New Soma's Moebius Tunnel, and 6LA8's The Last Strands of Fortitude. More later.

Drew Fisher
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 18:05

^ I have two of Patrick O' Hearn's albums on CD: Eldorado (1989) & Metaphor (1996).

Eldorado was somewhat of a shift, but I liked it.

Check out his 2005 release, Slow Time. It's fantastic.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 16:13
^ I have two of Patrick O' Hearn's albums on CD: Eldorado (1989) & Metaphor (1996).
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 16:02
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Serrie was on the same label as TD, or vice versa ... in Seattle, which was when the 220 Volt Live was recorded.

Yes, TD was on Miramar for Rockoon220 Volt, Turn of the Tides, and Tyranny of Beauty. They floated from label to label for a few years before TDI was established.

Private Music had an eclectic roster, too...

...and that reminds me: BrufordFreak, did you ever hear Patrick O'Hearn's first two albums for Private Music, Ancient Dreams and Between Two Worlds? Those are EM classics!

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 15:50

This Zombi stuff is a little too aggressive for me. I think what I like most in the electronic music that I like is the lack or absence of drum and bass substitutes. The sequencing or pacing provided by the other instruments seems to be enough. Still, I do like the "Siberia II" song a lot!
Thanks!

In that case, I recommend Steve's solo albums The Henge and Light Echoes

Zombi is more of a "band," but they do have some great tracks on the first two albums, Zombi and Cosmos, that I bet you'd like.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 10:57
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Gert has some really good albums, yes. Again, his stuff might be a little tough and/or expensive to get outside Europe at this time. There's some stuff on YT.

Jonn (not John) Serrie mainly records spacemusic/ambient. I wouldn't recommend his music to listeners looking for music akin to TD, Schulze, Synergy, Shreeve, etc., at least not right away. And the Stars Go With You and both Planetary Chronicles volumes are excellent, though.

Hi,

My adding Gert, was important ... regarding the so called space/ambient is (for me) not an issue since the music itself might not have anything to do with the space/ambient at all, despite its CD cover, as is the case for Serrie.

Gert, is probably closer to TD in that his music is less rock sound oriented or formatted and has a much larger freedom for expression, which in TD, I call "classically minded", though I can not find anything "classically minded" in Gert Emmens at all ... which in many ways ends up being a NEW expression in electronic music ... if we want to get picky. Larry Fast fits in this area also were it not that some of his music on solo albums kinda came from film soundtracks and it has a feel that fits film ... not necessarily the music we are used to ... his work on Nektar's Recycled, shows that he can add to the rock thing a lot more than just thunder ... it made the album explode loud and clear.

My take on electronic music is different ... I like KS because he is an original, and you can not find a "song" in his work, and in the length of his pieces. They are all incredibly different and the "trip" is insane. I like TD because their music for my ears is like listening to classical music ... it is totally beautiful and the saddest thing for me since EF passed on, is that it has become a machine music group ... and nothing else and the atmospheric and orchestra sound is gone, even though the one member does a wonderful job on the violin, but not enough to help carry away from the electronic machine sounding work. And this was my contention, and the main reason why I did not enjoy Pete Namlook as much ... I thought his sound was too much machine and not enough music/musical.

Another example, is, while I can appreciate the efforts from Dave Sax which are very enjoyable, in general for my ears it still is way too machine sounding, and I'm not sure that my saying that helps him understand what I am saying ... I think his manner of composing might be the issue ... starts with the sound from the machine and then another sound added, as opposed to starting a sound and then work it so it matches the feel that your imagination has ... that "translation" always adds to the over all content ... but I think that as soon as one part is established, it's time to add another one, and then it comes off a bit clinical for my tastes ... mind you, I find him better than many of the things listed here.

BTW ... missing here is the stuff that CHRISTOPHER FRANKE did on his own, which is also very lovely, and I am one of the few that says he is sorely missed and I would love to hear from him, hopefully not angry still, and with a lot of music in his heart to share with us ... we need more like him and Edgar Froese! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 10:46

^ Or you could try Zrnho Correy's channel on YouTube. Thumbs Up

Some GREAT finds on here! (E.g. Andreas Wolter, Ian Boddy, even the trip-hoppy New Age of Davol and techno-dance-pop of SpiralDreams.) 

Thanks, Paul!
Drew Fisher
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>