Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barclay James Harvest Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 10:06
^ I bought most of BJH's classic studio albums before I'd even heard them play Live, and they've always meant much more to me than a Poor Man's Moody Blues. Smile 
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 14:56
^ Poor nickname for a great band...   
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 15:45
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

^ Poor nickname for a great band...   

It was probably some jaded music journalist who gave them that derogatory nickname, but at least it inspired Barclay James Harvest to write a great song. Smile
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 06:41
Once again is just sublime. Would be in my top 20 albums. 

On many of their albums there are songs I like, just not whole albums. 
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 07:35

Going right back to the Early Morning of BJH history, here's a favourite song of mine from Their First Album....

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 28 2021 at 04:14
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 08:06
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Going right back to the Early Morning of BJH history, here's a favourite song of mine from Their First Album....

Oh yes - great song. My second favourite album would be their debut. Some lovely stuff on there.
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 08:09
"Early Morning" is wonderful, mellotron heaven
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 08:29
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

"Early Morning" is wonderful, mellotron heaven
+ 1.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 11:45

Once Again, another classic BJH song, this time from their second album.

Mockingbird - filmed at the Town & Country Club in 1992.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 28 2021 at 04:15
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 12:40

An absolute classic song.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 12:40

Love this song

Music Is Live

<
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 13:33

Its a great song.. but was recorded 2 years before the BJH first lp was recorded (as their first single, on the Parlephone label, backed with 'Mr Sunshine'- another great early song). 'Brother Thrush' B/W 'Poor wages' was their 2nd single (and first on Harvest). The BJH debut lp was recorded some 6-8 months later and released very early 1970.

No doubt those early singles have been added to the various CD re-issues (which is understandable in terms of chronology) and i'm sure some of the early 'session' tracks were included too like 'Pools of Blue' and 'Eden unobtainable' which really deserved to have a proper release.

Ive said in threads before what an unashamed BJH afficinado i am (well, the classic line up anyway) and a big Woolly Wolstenholme fan.. RIP Woolly (and Mel!) i still miss Woolly's music, humour and eccentric characterCry

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 14:11
^ The original 1970 album was simply called Barclay James Harvest, but the name  was changed to "Their First Album" for the CD reissue in 2002, which included 13 rare bonus tracks. Thumbs Up
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 13:46

^ The original 1970 album was simply called Barclay James Harvest, but the name  was changed to "Their First Album" for the CD reissue in 2002, which included 13 rare bonus tracks. Thumbs Up

A very underrated band imho‼️

Music Is Live

<
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 15:59
It's usually at the bottom of most people's list of BJH albums, but oddly enough Caught in the Light is simply one of my all time favorite records period. Can't explain it, but it just is. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 16:12
Originally posted by POTA POTA wrote:

It's usually at the bottom of most people's list of BJH albums, but oddly enough Caught in the Light is simply one of my all time favorite records period. Can't explain it, but it just is. 

It's not always easy to explain why an album is a particular favourite, in just the same way as I can't explain why Suicide is my favourite BJH song, despite the depressing lyrics..... Ermm

I stepped out on the guard rail, saw the crowds slowly part
Heard a voice shouting "Don't jump, please for God's sake let me move my car!"
Felt a hand on my shoulder, heard a voice cry "Just in time!"
Felt the quick push, felt the air rush
Felt the sidewalk, fell in line.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 05:10
I know very little about this band. I heard Mockingbird many years ago, as a teen, and gave up immediately, I'm sorry to say. Too gentle and twee. Listening to Early Morning, I can hear where the Moody Blues comparison comes from. Sounds nice enough. I'll read some reviews on here, and check out an album.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 09:08
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I know very little about this band. I heard Mockingbird many years ago, as a teen, and gave up immediately, I'm sorry to say. Too gentle and twee. Listening to Early Morning, I can hear where the Moody Blues comparison comes from. Sounds nice enough. I'll read some reviews on here, and check out an album.

I guess twee is a description I can't argue with even as it doesn't bother me that they are, but maybe listen to "Live" from 1974 which is anything but twee
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 09:24
For anyone who's still unsure about Barclay James Harvest, and needs positive proof that they're much more than just a Poor Man's Moody Blues, you could watch them Play to the World in  "The Ultimate Anthology", recorded at the London Town & Country Club in 1992. Don't forget to Stand Up and shout for the Hymn at the end of the concert. After all, Life is for Living. Thumbs Up

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 09:53
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Love this song

Hi,

The original is just as good, if not better ... on the 2nd album I think, although there was a collection of songs that also had it. 

Wonderful band and one of the great joys in my collection!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>