Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's the best King Crimson live album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's the best King Crimson live album?
    Posted: January 15 2021 at 14:46
I was going to make a poll but then I realized they have like 30 or some crazy number like that. Which one is the best?
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 14:50
It's hard to vote against The Great Deceiver. 

Although some live albums from the current band are tops, such as Chicago 2017 and the Meltdown set. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 14:59
Great Deceiver
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 15:13
Without exaggeration I have over 200 live recordings of KC from all across their career. I have no idea how I'd pick one.

Now if we take all the KC Club releases out of the mix and stick to the recordings on PA Then The Great Deceiver: Live 1973 - 1974 or The Night Watch would be my picks.

But my pride and joy is a bootleg I did of Robert Fripp performing his Frippertronics and doing a combo lecture Q&A at The University of Toronto. He mentioned multiple times his dislike for bootleg recordings and I felt like such a naughty boy for doing it, but it turned out great and was for sure a one off performance.

Edited by JD - January 15 2021 at 15:18
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 16:27
I love the late '72 shows with Muir, especially the Bremmen and Newcastle from the ever-growing KCC series.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 17:02
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

I love the late '72 shows with Muir, especially the Bremmen and Newcastle from the ever-growing KCC series.

So they had live shows before the larks tongues in aspic album was released? Interesting. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 17:07
I like Absent Lovers (Live in Montreal, 1984) a lot.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 18:11
There are too many of them, each one with very speacial moments, which makes it even harder to choose.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 18:59
For me, it's Collectable King Crimson vol 1. Overall, I like it even better than The Great Deceiver. It's got two shows, The Mainz one could have a better sound quality, but I really love the performances (and still the sound is good enough to be perfectly enjoyable, anyway), and the other is the same show from USA, but without edits nor overdubs, and in general the album has most of my favourite versions of the songs of the time.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 19:41
Has anybody honestly listened to all of them?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 23:10
Ha! I was JUST looking at the Live KC albums yesterday over a quick breakfast! The Great Deceiver all the way for me. It's also my favorite era and line-up, so I'm probably biased.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 23:42
Radical Action for me, but you can't go wrong w/ Meltdown, Chicago or Great Deceiver. KC is stunning live
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 00:15
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

It's hard to vote against The Great Deceiver. 

Although some live albums from the current band are tops, such as Chicago 2017 and the Meltdown set. 

I was at the Chicago 2017 show, it was jaw-dropping amazing!!   June 18, 2017....Chicago Theater, an amazing, old and elegant venue.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
anoopanunya View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote anoopanunya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 09:38
I’ve seen this (I think??) bootleg floating around called Mirrors. released in italy in 1990 on cd. It featured the 11/13/1973 concert in Rome. I can’t stop listening to it. It’s on Youtube aswell. They were road-testing tracks from S&BB, played all the LTIA tracks, and even played Cat Food, which was something Wetton pushed fripp to do constantly. Its a very powerful and unreal experience.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 10:56
Oh, f', that's USA. Really in the moment, even if it's sweetened by Eddie Jobson on Larks' Tongues' and Lament.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 11:00
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Has anybody honestly listened to all of them?
Good point. USA is the gold standard, IMHO.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 11:58
'The Night Watch', 'Radical Action...' and 'THRAkaTTacK' are my top three!
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 18:36
Of all the questions ever asked on Prog Archives this one would have to be the hardest. Impossible. A simple answer would be to keep saying the last one.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 18:45
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Without exaggeration I have over 200 live recordings of KC from all across their career. I have no idea how I'd pick one.

Now if we take all the KC Club releases out of the mix and stick to the recordings on PA Then The Great Deceiver: Live 1973 - 1974 or The Night Watch would be my picks.

But my pride and joy is a bootleg I did of Robert Fripp performing his Frippertronics and doing a combo lecture Q&A at The University of Toronto. He mentioned multiple times his dislike for bootleg recordings and I felt like such a naughty boy for doing it, but it turned out great and was for sure a one off performance.

If you did it for private use only Fripp would probably not have any objections. He is only against people making a buck with bootlegs.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 20:03
^Nary a nickle made. As all of my concert recordings are...just for me.
But as I recall and it was Apr. 01 1983, he mentioned something about "The Moment" and how it was meant to be experienced in not again and again. So it seemed about more than just monetization at the time. Maybe he changed his tune over time?

Edited by JD - January 16 2021 at 20:08
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>