Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's the best King Crimson live album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 08:41
Unpopular opinion but Earthbound is my personal fav. Love how raw and noisy it is.
D~B
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 12:03
Originally posted by Dapper~Blueberries Dapper~Blueberries wrote:

Unpopular opinion but Earthbound is my personal fav. Love how raw and noisy it is.

Earthbound offers one of the best/wildest Schizoid man version (imho indeed)
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 16:43
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Now if we take all the KC Club releases out of the mix and stick to the recordings on PA Then The Great Deceiver: Live 1973 - 1974 or The Night Watch would be my picks.

Good Call. Agree!  If you haven't check out the Live Irvine meadows (ToAPP tour).  It's killer. Ade and Bruford were on fire.  Fripp did his tronics for 10 minutes at the start. It's a collectors club release.

If you don't care for TCoL, you will... If you Listen to Hollywood House of Blues shows. (CC release also.)  Trey was very impressive, and Robert was on fire that night. He shredded and shredded at length.

The Studio TCoL does not do the music justice.  Any Live version knocks it up tenfold.

Edited by Valdez1 - April 09 2024 at 16:44
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 21:39
^I'll have to check those out! I was certainly blown away by the ToaPP tour live video from Japan that I posted above, so I'll probably enjoy those.
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2024 at 09:16
[never mind - I mis-read the topic title]

Edited by Floydoid - April 10 2024 at 09:17
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 08:35
I suppose my list is rather calculated. They have so much to pick from but these five are my favourites.
"USA" showing their muscles
"Ladies Of The Road" covers their early period and I love "Islands".
"Absent Lovers" is one even the band brags about. They were at their best. Covers "Discipline" and the 80's.
"Elecktrik" because the tracks from "The Cnstrukction Of Light" sound better here.
"Level Five" from "The Power To Believe" tour.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 07:20
Hi

My conclusion is that some bands are damn good regardless and choosing one over the other is tough, specially when they are different.

It's hard to not feel that the Jamie Muir stuff was so important and far out ... but I think that RF was having a hard time with the improvisation nature of it, which in a couple of bits and pieces on the net, are just fabulous, and I would say they are my favorite ... and remember that Bill Bruford was also there and he did not hurt ... he added some nice touches. It was as if Bill could tell what Jamie was doing and he merely added the needed touches. That's a rarity in rock music, where most folks are afraid of letting go on the stage and it will ruin the guitarist's solo ... wow ... such a big miss, huh?

In reality, the way to experience KC is LIVE, not in a recording, even though you eventually (specially in a DVD) get to see some bits and pieces that we consider better. Other than any of the Muir bits, I'm not sure that KC is that special, other than LIVE anywhere. The 3 drummers on the DVD, or CD are not as effective as they are LIVE when you hear all the fills, bumps and grinds.

The only time I dislike "live" by anyone is when the stuff is mailed ... and many top bands are like that, and one of the reasons why I don't really bother with it ... and we're not talking new bands ... I think many of these have lost their desire ... that took them to the top ... and now humiliated by singing the same song for the 1000th time ... and the "The Piano Man" gets cut off by a commercial ...

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 19:53
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I suppose my list is rather calculated. They have so much to pick from but these five are my favourites.
"USA" showing their muscles
"Ladies Of The Road" covers their early period and I love "Islands".
"Absent Lovers" is one even the band brags about. They were at their best. Covers "Discipline" and the 80's.
"Elecktrik" because the tracks from "The Cnstrukction Of Light" sound better here.
"Level Five" from "The Power To Believe" tour.

I prefer Collectable King Crimson over USA because it features the same concert, but without edits nor overdubs. And it features a second disc with another concert, Mainz, which has some really great versions of songs too, including my very favourite version of Starless.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123